1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The loud Chinese contingent definitely got to him last night and he rushed and forced some shots. Would have been nice if he just hit one of them to give those folks something to cheer for. The blocks were fun though.

Bo6 likes this.
  2. basketballholic

Look who he's playing with and who is throwing him the ball. He's on the floor for a couple minutes with Harden, Ariza, Black, and Tucker. Then Harden leaves and is replaced with Bobby Brown. When Harden was in there he walked it up and ran clock, or turned it over, or threw it ahead to a corner 3 shooter in transition. I think one possession Harden turned and fired an open there before the shoot clock ran down. Then after they took out Harden it was helter shelter middle school basketball.

Look, we're running him out there at the 4. He's not running up and down the middle at the 5, where he can use his speed, length, and quicks to his advantage.

I don't care that he's weak. Bulk and strength are almost detriments in today's game. When we finally put him in at the 5, let him run up and down the middle and switch from there defensively, when we finally run him as the 5 and use him as the primary roller/popper with the regular rotation guys....he'll look like a different player.

I respect your opinion. I understand your opinion and reasoning totally. And you may be right. He may not get there this year. But the reason he is with the parent club the bulk of the time is because we want him to develop into a top 9 rotation piece at the 5 by the end of the season.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

where's the Tarik Black thread? This is freaking racist, why even bother to have a thread for this garbage chopstick mop-up rookie?? He haven't done shiet and this thread's got 23 freakin pages, unbelievable. All cause he's from China??!?!

tinman likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Imagine a front of line of Uthoff and Qi.

Unstoppable.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's not fun about a blowout game against the Suns?

It's always fun when I'm right cause I don't believe in good or evil, I believe in real.

real=fun

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Until he is strong/fast enough to explode on a roll to the rim like Capela does, or strong enough to set good screens like Capela does, he is not going to get any meaningful minutes at C. I also think it is fair to question his ability to catch balls in traffic, like Tarik, Clint and Nene can. He needs serious work on that end.

Defensively he is already solid, but he needs to find his niche on Offense. Whether it is knocking down threes, or rolling harder to the rim, he needs to find an NBA skill on O. As of now he is a jack of all trades that isn't really great at anything.

Still, I love his potential and I am stoked we have him!

Little Bit likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

As I mentioned before, he looks like a Anime cross up of Yao and Porizingis if they had a child.
    So people are very protective of him, they don't care if he misses like every shot.

If people criticize me for not liking how he doesn't put the ball in the hoop, then they should toss them stones
    they probably have better aim than Qi

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

TLDR:

Fake Houston Rocket Fan with an agenda, actively rooting against our own ROOKIES.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's another highlight reel someone made

10. basketballholic

I don't expect many to agree with that. But I'm sticking to it.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He won't get minutes unless he can score 15 pts every game. On a contender under MDA.

12. basketballholic

Lol.

Uthoff is an NBA player and would be great here if given the opportunity. Somebody will eventually sign him and wind up with a great role player for a great price for several years. Just a matter of time. (He's a better player than Covington.)

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Go tell that to Lebron James, or James Harden, or Joel Embiid, or Demarcus Cousins, or etc...

Hell, look at the bulk and strength that Kristaps has put on without sacrificing speed. He has become more explosive with more strength. If there is a model on planet earth for Zhou, it is clearly Kristaps, who looked like a wafer as a rookie. Zhou needs strength in his legs and his hips in the worst way, and you can see reflected in his screen setting and rebounding.

14. basketballholic

Didn't say he didn't need more strength. I did say bulk and strength were overrated. DeMarcus has taken off serious weight to play faster.

Rebounding? Qi had a nose for the ball. He's a good rebounder already. Will only improve there. I don't mind him getting stronger. But the focus of his development should be shooting the three, not adding bulk.

Embiid and LeBron.....you're gonna run those guys out there.....I mean the reason LeBron is arguably the greatest eddy is because of his Skills combined with speed, quickness, and strength. I mean, you're talking a top 3 player ever. I don't expect Zhou to ever get there.

And we can sit here all day and name things that established superstars still need to work on. KP still needs work on his defense and rebounding. Harden needs to work on his turnovers, still too sloppy with the ball. Lego needs to work on his handle and facilitating.

Just because Zhou has weaknesses does not mean he can't be a rotation piece with those weaknesses. Because he vs shine outstanding strengths which make him unique and a positive. You put him with the starters and just like Capela they don't need him ding much besides picking and rolling and staying out of the way. His screens are bad? Lol. Like Capela's aren't? Capela had trouble even getting up to set picks last year. We've yet to see how he responds this year to the meat grinder. Capela was a total sieve last night on defense and had stamina issues once again.

When Zhou gets minutes with the regular rotation guys he'll look a lot better. That should be obvious to everybody.

#454 basketballholic, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Exiled likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The difference between these two players on defense is about as drastic as it gets. You can legitimately put Robert Covington on elite NBA stars at 3-4 different positions, and he will also chip in 15 points.

Uthy is Robert Covington in his dreams.

MrSabotage likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We didn't see that in Summer League, where he looked like a lost Goat. It was a miracle If he grabbed 5 boards.

I think he can be much better, but the strength gains he needs to make are more for his own confidence then any practical translation to the court.

17. basketballholic

Confidence is his main issue right now. Lifting more iron ain't gonna fix that. Sorry. It's mental. He's got to get comfortable, knowing what he's supposed to do and confident that he's rotating right and moving right. Added strength won't change that if he didn't know what he's supposed to do on the court. That's where he's at. He's having to work through communication issues to understand our schemes and plays. Once he gets that, and he will, his confidence will soar. He needs much more English language understanding than he needs added strength.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m rooting for the ball to go in the basket

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Improving your strength, quickness and endurance in the weight room is an incredible boon to your confidence in all sports, not just basketball. It is a huge factor, and frankly it shows your lack of knowledge in the development of an athlete, even in the frame of a sport's psychologist. Anyone that has been around player development for any high level sport would say the same. Often times the physical needs to come before the mental ever takes over.

Being the weakest guy on the floor as a C makes all the leaps that he needs to make that much more difficult. We aren't developing a chess player here.

saleem likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Everybody
    Don’t be afraid to call a bad shooter a bad shooter
    This is ClutchFans