1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will OKC adjust their game? How we will counter? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedEyesKirby, Apr 30, 2013.

1. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

As of right now, I am very pleased with this team being able to win 1 game. Rockets this year are know for their comebacks, and I wouldn't be surprised if we become the first team to come back from a 3-0 deficit with all the groundbreaking things the team have done this year. Now that they have a taste of victory, they will want more.

Hence comes the biggest challenge of playoffs. One of the reason in the history of NBA that no team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit is because adjustments plays too much of a role. What ends up happening is that a team adjusts and the previous winning team tries to do what won them their game.

To be more clear, think of it as rock paper scissors. We won with rock this time and we know they are going to go for paper next game. But what is the safer bet is the team always goes with what won their game and more likely than not we will use rock again. (Of course it is a lot more complicated than that)

Here's the key problem we presented OKC this game:
    1) Half court pressure on Durant -> double team Durant
    2) Parsons continuous penetration with Garcia Delfino PBev floor spread
    3) Mismatch from spread allows Asik for numerous Off. Boards
    4) PBev + Delfino's continuous stealing pressure on players with not so great handles

Here's things OKC may have found via this game.
    - Aggressive D Pressure caused multiple players to be in foul trouble
    - A very big hole at the wing 3 pt and corner 3 pt

There's much more I'm sure. So add more yourself.

It'd be interesting to discuss how they can adjust to these problems. So far in my mind I can see OKC trying to give the ball to Durant in the pass off to force fouls to Garcia and hand it back to Reggie in the halfcourt. Perhaps force a rotate/switch with Ibaka setting picks for Durant.

Forcing Garcia into foul trouble should be easier because they are at homecourt and its Durant :rolleyes: but also because Garcia is always in his face. Starting fullcourt would allow Durant to do his good ol' arm swing pass touch foul calls.

With Garcia in foul trouble, we'd see trouble in our offensive spread which will cause trouble in the penetration.

So I'd say this is feasible.

If we see this, I'd think a good counter is what PBev did with Garcia late game except they can apply it early. Have PBev on Durant before half court and do a quick switch via double on Durant with Garcia as soon as Durant cross half.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what their adjustments could be :).

2. New

They will attack the paint.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think the rockets should further adjust by not having harden as the worst player on the court. Seriously they won completely in spite of him.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Start Ibaka on Asik and put Martin in the starting lineup.

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Go all out to shut Durant down on defense. We get anderson ready to throw at him if Garcia, Parsons and Delfino get in foul trouble.

Keep the backcourt defensive pressure on high burn. Hopefully a healthy Lin and a more confident Brooks can help Beverley.

Asik has to play like he did tonight and avoid foul trouble. We will go small ball again and Asik is the only one that can battle for rebounds.

Harden has to be more efficient and careful with the ball. Can't expect Parsons to have a career night again. No more hero ball at the end. Practice and run some ******* plays and execute!!!

I think we can win the next one.

6. AFS

AFS Member

Thunder made a big adjustment from Game 3 to Game 4 in their ability to get Durant the ball. Denying him position was really making him struggle in Game 3, and he struggled with it today, but they had him come off screens a lot more to get him the ball. Once he gets the ball in his hands, he is kind of unstoppable. I think this adjustment is reflected in his statlines between the two games.

I think it would be a good idea for them to get Kevin Martin more shots and let him pick up the scoring load. He's a better choice for a second option than Reggie Jackson.

7. pnr

pnr Member

They're gonna continue to target Harden all game and make the other players beat them.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

They will tell Fisher and Martin to flop more. Because it apparently works.

9. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

They may actually do this --

Without westbrook, they don't have a lot of guys to punish the Rockets doubling on durant. Martin and Fisher are both defensive liabilities, and is it just me or is Martin a choke artist?

10. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

If they start Martin, they would take a hit on defense. But is it really that big of a hit? As of right now, it seems like our offense comes only from 3s or penetration. So if you put Martin on someone like Garcia, it doesn't seem like the tradeoff is big at all.

So maybe starting Martin wouldn't be such a bad idea. If they do that, I'd really like to try a AB, Bev, Parsons, Harden, Garcia combo and fully focus on penetration.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

refs will give us even less calls and the thunder even more