1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How we got Philly to take Royce

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

From sheridanhoops.com

The Houston Rockets were so determined to get rid of Royce White, they agreed to pay his salary when they dumped him on the Philadelphia 76ers. From The Bucks County Courier-Times: “An NBA source said the Rockets, who dealt him to the Sixers on July 6 along with a second-round pick and Turkish power forward Furkan Aldemir for future considerations and cash, are picking up the $1.7 million salary of White, who has an anxiety disorder and is afraid to fly. That means the Sixers have nothing invested in White —*and that the 21-year-old Aldemir was the primary target in the deal, which the source confirmed.” Think about what that means. Morey was so desperate to get White off his roster that he is paying his salary. That happens in baseball but it is virtually unheard of in the NBA. There is NO WAY Sixers GM Sam Hinkie is picking up White’s third year option in October.

Looks like Royce's career will be over after this year, good risk by Sam though.

2. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I sincerely wish for Royce to grow up in a few years when he's broke and reflecting on life. Then coming back and gaining some passionate personal strength not for his cause, not for others, but for himself sans his excuses, crutches and problems.

He has a skill set that doesn't show up in the NBA very often. I hope he realizes he can do much more pioneering for the future of the mentally disabled in highly specialized professions by putting down his ideals and aspirations aside for a few years and making himself successful so he can pursue his true ambitions later in life. He can still be in his early to mid thirties and have a huge portion of cash and still have his prime to live his life as he sees fit.

3. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

royce is a loser. his whole life is based on twitter and retweeting compliments from people.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It'll be interesting to see how White responds to realizing there is a very real possibility that his NBA career could be over at the end of the season.

Wouldn't it be funny if suddenly he finds the inner strength to fly with the team?

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

And getting rid of Royce to get Howard was worth every penny and Furkan too.

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

what a waste of #16 draft pick.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's said about most #16 picks

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I'm sure we are all so Furkan happy he's gone.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This is how I choose to look at it:

--Had the Rockets not taken Royce White with the #16 pick, they would have (and I mean they WOULD HAVE) taken Tyler Zeller with that pick. Dallas was primed to take White at #17 before Houston took him off the board. (That's why they didn't just take Zeller at #16 and White at #18.)

--In order to add Dwight Howard this summer, the Rockets likely would have had to trade either Zeller or Jones to open up the necessary cap room.

--Adding Howard, and with Asik on the roster (let alone Camby), there would not have been enough playing time for Zeller anyway.

--Had they traded Jones or Zeller, given the Rockets' relative bargaining position (see Robinson, Thomas trade), Houston likely would have done no better than a so-so future second round pick.

So, in the end, the Rockets' "opportunity cost" of selecting Royce White with the #16 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft was likely no more than a future second round pick.

See. Don't you feel better now? ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Convictedstupid

Pshhhh. Time isn't linear! Zeller = Championship!!!

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It probably went something like this..
    Hinkie: "Darrel, I've been offered a job to be the GM of the Sixers."
    Morey: "Good, now someone can take Royce off my hands! Phew."
    Hinke: "But Darul, why should I take White!? I need to impress the owner and this won't do."
    Morey: *using Jedi mind tricks* "Relax Sam, I'll cover it up by also trading Aldemir and paying Royce's salary. Just take him off my roster! I need to make space for Dwight."

[insert obligatory Darly Morey picture here]

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Haha! You joke, but I think that Zeller may have been the difference between a first round exit and the second round of the playoffs.

Had Zeller been Asik's primary backup at C, I think the Rockets pull out a couple of extra close games last season and end up grabbing that 6-seed. While Denver was a terrible matchup for the Rockets all season, the Gallinari-less Nuggets very well may have been susceptible to an upset, as the Warriors showed.

Not saying it WOULD have happened. Just that it COULD have happened.

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I wonder what Moreys reaction was when he found out Royce went to Philly

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

[​IMG]

16. alethios

alethios Member

However, Cavs bought him from Dallas for three 2nd-round picks. Wouldn't we would have benefited from that type of trade?

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No. A lot different on draft night trading for "the #17 pick" than dealing for a one-year veteran. Leverage is also a huge factor. Dallas didn't HAVE to deal that pick. Any team dealing with the Rockets would've known Houston was desperate to clear salary. Hence, offers would go down.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not in that draft.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Actually, it is being said about 100% of all players taken at #16 in that draft! :p

20. alethios

alethios Member

As I remember, the Cavs were high on him as a backup to Varejao, which turned out to be a good move on their part. Maybe they would have dangled a good offer our way as well - who knows. Anyway, all's well that ends #BeWell.