1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How we could be selling free agents on Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Rudy T had Hakeem here. All he had to do is ask " Do you wanna come play with dream and Clyde and get overpaid by CD?" Sells itself. Morey had no problems recruiting when we had a healthy Yao and Tracy. He seems to have lost his recruiting skills about the same time Yao retired and Tracy got shipped out. Amazing coincidence!

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There isn't anything these athletes haven't seen or done that is truely going to impress them in way you guys think free agents are getting wooed by. I think they are impressed by front office/coaches who are up front and genuine with them about their team, city, and their place in the franchise.

I honestly think the Rockets are up front and honest about their position right now with free agents and that is why you dont see veterans chomping at the bit to try to come to Houston. Do you really blame either party?

However someone like a Omer Asik who is young enough to view Houston as a great place to really break out and make a name for himself with the opportunities that present themselves should be excited to come to Houston.

Trust me, taking them out to eat at Brennans and taking a drive down to Galveston isn't going to sell an NBA free agent any more or less than a drive down Southbeach will(well.... maybe thats not 100% accurate, but its not the point). Its about the relationships with the organization, their place in the franchise, oh... and its always also about money at some point.

The Rockets are going to be ok. Right now they just need to build a team with high calliber young players, and keep your options open to swing for the fences with multiple stars to turn things around quickly like the Summer of 07 in Boston, which is doable if you stay flexible. The free agency glamour is overblown, and doesn't make a bit of difference at the end of the day.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

1) Ray Allen has already won a championship.

2) Ray Allen played for a team that wasn't at full strength and still took the Heat to 7 games.

3) Ray Allen turned down twice as much money to play for Miami.

Disregarding all that, are you saying Pat Riley had nothing to do with assembling the big 3 in the first place? You may be the only person who thinks that if that's the case.

4. AverageAgain

AverageAgain Member

hmmmmm.....this...

[​IMG]

compared to this....

[​IMG]

I'd day Miami is winning....HTown is really a dump compared to Miami

5. TheFreak

Sigh. The point is he still works for the Lakers. The bigger point is he DOESN'T work for the Rockets. Geez.

The Rockets had nothing to offer Allen? Seriously? You think the point of all that was that we're missing out on guys like Ray Allen?

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's not the point. look at the players who signed with the Spurs or OKC, both smaller towns than Houston.

A lot of Rockets have left the team with a bitter taste in the their mouth. this includes the coaches.

recently, did JVG or Rick or Rudy T leave the Rockets in great terms? No.

1 person likes this.
  7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Like who?

8. TheFreak

Go back and review the comments about his Olympics speech and its effect on the elite NBA players of that time. Has nothing to do with Hakeem, or the Rockets for that matter. Note that his autobiography is called "A Rocket at Heart". Then ask yourself why he's working for the Los Angeles Lakers in an insignificant role for someone of his stature.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Players Rudy/Dawson wooed that I can recall.

Hakeem era: Scottie Pippen, Kevin Willis, Mark Bryant, Brent Price, Antoine Carr
    Post-Hakeem era: Maurice Taylor, Shandon Anderson, Jim Jackson, Stromile Swift

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss out on anyone significant. Also in the year Pippen came, only one other major team had big capspace, the NY Knicks. They chose to sign McDyess over Pippen that year due to youth.

10. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Yeah I agree with this, Rudy T's son came into the restaurant I work at once and I got to serve him. When I found out he was Rudy's son I asked him about scouting for the Lakers and what not. Apparently they were in the process and hopeful that the Lakers would resign them to another contract to do analytical work for the Lakers organization. Pretty cool guy, really jittery though..lol

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I tell you 1 thing that does not help. When your courting gm rolls up in an old Lexus RX. I know it shouldn't matter but rides are a status symbol among the elite. You will get a lot more street cred that this is the place to be if you roll up in something sweet than an older chick car.

First impressions...

#31 ArtV, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no one wants to play for Kevin McHale - a freaking rookie coach. Can't you people get that?

Stars want to play for coaches that they respect. Guys like Adelman, JVG, Phil Jackson, doesn't matter.

So you are not going to get free agents flocking to a bad team without a great coach and organization they believe in.

It's not the presentation, it's us!

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's a lot easier to woo when you got Hakeem Olajuwon to serve up as the main course.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yup this

At least when Rick was here, we could offer them a chance to play with a HOF coach with a superb offensive system. What the Hell is a McHale as head coach.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thissing^^

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

It's not like Pheonix is winning either.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

They win by player option

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I think this is probably another reason why players rather play somewhere else because if Morey's salesrep is another like his interviewing skills or press conference speeches, players feel like they just got bored to death. Also what really doesn't help is his demeanor and his facial expressions: if you had to size up Morey in an instant, probably 90% of the people would say he's untrustworthy. He just has that look, his eyes reveal his true character and everybody knows that whatever he says about liking players and all that is jibberish because 90% of the time they will be traded as soon as possible.

Look at the players (that were part of rotation or players who came to start or at least to play significant minutes) he's acquired and how long they have stayed:
    - AB - 2 years - Drafted
    - Landry - 2.5 years - Drafted
    - Budinger - 2 years - Drafted
    - Ariza - 1 year - Free agent
    - Andersen - 1 year - Free agent
    - Artest - 1 year - Trade
    - Lowry - 2.5 years - Trade
    - Scola - 5 years - Trade - has been on trading block for 2 years now
    - Dragic - 1.5 years - Trade

None of these players, except for Scola, were traded for / drafted or signed to stay long. The fact most become good enough to be considered using in a trade was the ultimate goal for Morey. He has offered AB, Landry and probably others in deals for Carmelo, Amare and the like. No player wants to come here knowing they will be traded especially if they play well. This is the pattern that even an idiot can see, you need to just look at the PG position and how we've traded or let go every single one once they became really good to be used as bait for a legit 'star' player.

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Blame the City of Houston for going after James Worthy and Scottie Pippen.. and for our owner for not holding on to tradition... for a Minute we was right up their with the Lakers and Celtics and Bulls... Other than the Lakers who went to the finals in the 80's? 90's and the Bulls only a few times can claim to have won it... Back to Tradition we need some Local Guys to run this Organization and former players and someone with Clout to these New Breed of NBA Players...

20. ejarts

ejarts Member

it's cause morey is a need and he doesn't understand how social and psychological tactics work more than paying someone. he just presents numbers, not dreams and possibilities, which is crucial in the entertainment industry which basketball is part of.

and people wonder why nobody goes here. morey is as boring as one can get. he needs to study Hitler.