1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How valuable is Chris Devenski?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Whip it!!

Great potential here, the sound guys at the stadium should crack the whip immediately after each strikeout. If executed well, in the words of Blummer, "that'd be some kind of special."

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can Devenski win the Cy Young as a middle reliever?

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Now that's the very definition of "Senior-itis".

houstonstime likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He could, but his season would have to be historically epic and the Astros would most likely need to win 95 games or so. He would continually need to do things that gets the media's attention.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Britton got 3rd place with a WPA of 6.39. I would think a WPA of 8 might do it.

6. bobrek

Not to quibble, but he was actually 4th. Just shows how hard it is for a reliever to win. Too many voters think the award should not go to a reliever. Also, a starter with eye-opening stats will overshadow a reliever.

At least the work that Andrew Miller did in the post-season is showing how important those guys can be.

But, last year's Cy Young voting did bring forth an epic tweet from Kate Upton after 2 writers left Verlander completely off their ballot:

"I thought I was the only one allowed to <censored> Justin Verlander"

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nice catch. Oddly, I forgot to count Verlander.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I kind of like the idea of

Plan A for every game is starter for 6, then finish with Harris/Gregerson/Giles

Plan B if starter is struggling or pitch count is too high, go to Devo

Plan C if it's a blowout for or against, go to Feliz/Sipp/etc

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

And know that Devo (or Feliz as a 2nd option) can fill in for any of the trio--or multiple of them--when they've worked too much in recent days.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

WHIP IT GOOD!

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. bobrek

And Peacock

12. Buck Turgidson

Nice little article in Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/finding-and-building-a-devenski/#more-252413

"Will Harris came to me two days ago and said ‘Devenski is available. Do I even need to put my spikes on?’ He meant it. That’s the sort of respect [Devenksi] has garnered through his performance. I have told them all since spring training, this is possible since we’ve taken him out of the rotation competition.”

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Solid article. For the non-Astros fangraphs readers if it would be probably even more striking if he said "[2016 all-star reliever] Will Harris came to me...."

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/19288828/a-lineup-fix-all-30-teams

ESPN thinks Devo with a 3.60 ERA would be more valuable than Devo in the pen. While I get that it's because Fiers is sucking, it flies in the face of the fangraphs article above.

I'm definitely all for keeping Devo where he is

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I generally agree here. But, if our #5 guy, whoever that is, becomes so bad that every 5th game becomes a near automatic loss, then I would revisit the idea of Devo as a starter.

kaleidosky likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Astros will keep him in pen for this year. Next year, I don't know as it has to be tempting to see if he could be an ace or a No. 2.

17. Major

Major Member

Part of this depends on how many innings he's really going to pitch in the bullpen, and if it's going to be a problem later in the season. His usage is really erratic. If they really get 100 high leverage innings out of him and he holds up, he's crazy valuable there. But if they have to back off or he loses effectiveness later in the season, then he'd probably have been better getting 150 innings as a plus-starter (if he can go 6 or 7 innings and be effective).

jim1961 and kaleidosky like this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As shaky as Fiers looks, I have to think that the Astros brass is hoping to get enough mileage out of him at least until we see how the McHugh situation develops. But if Fiers cant handle the #5 spot AND McHugh cant come back, something has to give. A trade, a callup, or Devo or Peacock.

kaleidosky likes this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He should be the closer or a starting pitcher.