1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How valuable is Chris Devenski?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes.

I don't remember anything about Dykstra except that I remember I hate that guy.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

kaleidosky likes this.
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I think it's time to look at Devenski in higher leverage situations. He could be our answer at closer.

raining threes likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The two 4 inning stints were about as high leverage as you can get.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

While I have no doubt that Devo would be as good (or likely better) than Giles at closing, I freaking love the job he's doing in the role he's in. It's shades of Andrew Miller and Cody Allen.

Devo wouldn't be THAT much better than Giles/Gregerson/Harris at closing. Those guys aren't terrible closers, they're just not shut-down level. But Devo is un-replaceable in the Andrew Miller role.

6. xcrunner51

By Fangraph's "Leverage Index" stat (had to read up on it myself), they're being used in approximately equal leverage situations.

According to Fangraphs, average leverage is 1 with Low: 0-0.85, Medium: 0.85-2.0, High: 2.0+.

Leverage Indices In 2017:
    Devo: 1.65
    Giles: 1.67

Essentially equal. Obviously small sample size but it goes to show that Devo is getting equally important innings in the early going. More than that it tells me that switching Devo's role to the closer role may cut down his innings (and WAR) without significantly upping his leverage.

ADDENDUM* For reference, Aroldis Chapman's leverage over the last few seasons has ranged from 1.64-1.84.

7. bobrek

Since I am lazy :), can you tell what his rate was just using those 2 4 inning games? I assume his 1 inning in the 7-2 game brought his average down.

8. xcrunner51

Got you man. I'm feeling lazy too (towards actual work). The LI for those two games was 1.78.

bobrek likes this.
  9. bobrek

I'm lazy because it is now T-74 days until my retirement. :)

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I prefer GmLI, leverage index at time entering game, from their site. It rewards a player for a manager trusting to bring in at high leverage situations. PLI tracks leverage throughtout an appearance. Pitching poorly in high leverage closing situations typically losses the game or increases leverage. Pitching well tends to turn a high LI to a lower LI.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Double post

Only reason Giles has a higher pLI is due to giving up walk, hits, and HBPs with one or no outs. He should not get credit for taking a bad situation and making it worse.

#51 Joe Joe, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. the shark

the shark Member

The 'Stros situation with Devo is just like the Indians.

Francona wants to use Miller in the most crucial part of the game. Is it the 7th, 8th or the 9th inning? It obviously varies from game to game and each situation is different. He has C. Allen to bring in after Miller. So it's on Hinch to figure this out with Devo.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think Hinch is going to be bringing Devo out as the closer more so then Giles come Aug and Sept.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Right now he looks better than Chapman, Kimbrel, Davis, Miller, Betances, etc.

Incredible what he is doing early on.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

21k's in 11ip's!!

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I love this a lot more than having to hold him back for the perfect save situation like teams do with closers.

The focus on the save stat has screwed many things up. Aside from teams holding back their best bullet, many closers seem to pitch less effectively in non-save situations. It's like if they can't get a save it's an insult for them to be out there.

I've always felt a high leverage relief ace would be the best way to go. Don't retain a bullet for a save situation that may not still be there by the 9th.

DudeWah likes this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's about as valuable as Brett Myers.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Devo is on pace for 130+ IP.

If he finishes near that, he's much more valuable than the best closer and slightly less valuable than a Cy candidate.

5.0 WAR ??

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Brett Myers was 10th in Cy Young his first year in Houston. I hope you mean that version of Chris Myers.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This this this. Devenski truly is the extinguisher right now and I feel so comfortable with him in the game in the highest leverage situations. And the best part is he seems to embrace the role he is in, which is important when talking about relief pitchers... who typically have fragile egos.

CometsWin and DudeWah like this.
  20. xcrunner51

Devo got some media loving the other day. He was interviewed on the Ringer's MLB podcast show: Link

Not the greatest interviewee I've ever heard, lots of "you know"s and Bull Durham level cliches, but overall nice to see the national guys starting to get to know the guy behind the numbers. One thing I took away was that he feels perfectly comfortable in those multi-inning relief spots in part because the tandem system in the low-minors.

Yaosthirdleg and Houstunna like this.