1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to the Rockets beat the Warriors & Spurs in the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 4, 2015.

1. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Don't forget Dallas, too.

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why do u guys have so many time to discuss such topic?
    Do u know what the team roste is when season beginning?
    Everyone thought the Houston was a lottry team in 2013, Morey brought Harden in otc.
    Everyone thought the Houston was in the danger to playoffs when the team lost Passense & Asik & Lin, Morey brought Ariza & Brewer & Josh & Terry.
    The world is changing everyday, u should look forward, we will have some trades although not now

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The spurs are old as f***. LMA signing almost feels desperate to me. Desperate to hold onto their aging dynasty. LMA is not Tim Duncan, but that's the role they are carving out for him. Best of luck with that after trading away your center!

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

LMA might be the "closest thing to Duncan" whatever that means, but he isn't very close at all to Mr Fundamental.

LMA needs the ball, and is essentially a black hole PF. There is nothing wrong with that and PFs like him who can score have been part of great teams...McHale.

But he is not a passer or orchestrator like Duncan. He will break the current Spurs motion offense. Pops will need to move away from motion for him. All the main players on the Spurs rely on the versatility of Duncan. And all the current roles players excel at motion. Motion won't happen with LMA. That's not a bad thing, as I'm well known on this board saying motion is overrated against NBA defenses.

The main question is: Are the current role players suited for a system designed around a PF who catches the ball and shoots or merely passes it back out. The Spurs current system is no one touches the ball for more than a few seconds and the PF is mainly at the elbow to allow a spread of 3pt shooters. Now the PF is on the wing so that creates a strong side vs weak side. It changes the whole dynamics of the Spurs motion.

I predict a learning curve for the role players. LMA won't be a new player who plugs into the system. He will define a new system.

I also predict the stupid Spurs fans to rebel against him as a "ball stopper." whatever.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We'll have to wait & see who's closer to the truth here .... but I aint betting against Pop. I think he can coach LMA to fit into the system and not miss a beat. He does have the skills required to do it , just a matter of him being willing to be a piece of the puzzle rather than the main cog.
    If we were talking about any other coach .... I'd probably agree with you.

(No he's not the player that Duncan is/was but he's the closest thing to a prime Duncan that there is in the game today)

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This isn't how coaching works at this point in a star's career. You can't "coach" him to change what got him here. LMA isn't an impressionable 19yr in college at Duke, who Coach K can mold. It is the coach who needs to adjust, not the player. And this fact is why Rudy T was a great coach, and very underrated. He changed to the player, and didn't make the player change to him.

This will be the negative mark on Pops if he tries to change LMA to fit a system. But I don't doubt Pops will switch to a system that maximizes LMA. But the issue is the role players. Can they switch?

I am saying that all great coaches coach to the star. But what about the role players.

Sounds like you are suggesting LMA needs to adjust to the role players who are there for this recent motion offense of Pops. This isn't their offense for 15 years of Duncan, but it is now.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Will be interesting how things goes from here.

GSW will be the team to beat.
    Thunder will depends on how well Durant recover from his injury.

The spurs? Their (relatively) young core of Green, Leonard and Aldridge will be criticlal on their success, but I really do not think they will be challenging next year. TP showing signs of wear and tear. Manu might not even return. And I be surprise if Duncan plays more than 24 minutes in the coming season.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nah, definitely forget Dallas

9. MistaK

MistaK Member

Agree 100%, Passense loss was huge!!!!:grin:

In all seriousness though, agree with you!! - Morey will get something done to improve the roster! It might be what seems like a minor move, but might pay huge dividends as the season goes on.

10. varughese.arun

We wing by adding a guy can score in the post, and also be an outlet valve for Harden and be able to knock em' down from the 3-point line when needed- Donatas motiejunas.
    We will also need a point guard that vill go APE **** on defense- Tasmanian Beverley!

Rockets are going going to the Finals this years boys and girls!

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You'd think that DMo is prime level Dirk judging by the posts in this thread

I love DMo as much as anyone but the guy has done nothing in the playoffs so far

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Nowhere to go but up my friend, lol

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very well said. I like DMO and his game like most "objective" fans do but people saying he's as good or better then LaMarcus Aldridge is laughable. He's played an entire 5 minutes for his career in the playoffs where the intensity and physicality is ramped up 5 fold over the regular season.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If DMO can play like a superstar.

15. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

So because Dmo is not a superstar he is a "hole" in the roster..lmao. How many teams have better 3rd options in their starting lineup. I swear people around here expect us to run out 5 all star caliber starters and anything short of that is unacceptable.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How to beat the Dubs? Not be missing the starting PF and starting PG.

How to beat the Spurs? Well Howard should have a field day on Duncan.

17. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

To beat all the top teams, all we have to do is resign brewer and bev ;)

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

T
    Closest thing to young Tim Duncan is Anthony Davis.

Aldridge isn't that similar. They both have a credible mid post jumper. That's otherwise it.

19. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Eh AD is a freak athlete closer to Hakeem. Duncan never had the athletic ability of AD.