1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to prevent stress fracture from reoccurring to Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kwng, Feb 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

He needs to be like Shaq. Just play for half the season.

2. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

You are wrong, I am right. Like I said,

"A stress fracture is one type of incomplete fracture in bones. It is caused by "unusual or repeated stress"[1] This is in contrast to other types of fractures, which are usually characterized by a solitary, severe impact."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_fracture

3. zforrest

zforrest Member

I used to swim on my varsity high school team, so trust me when I say that being a swimmer/waterpolo player/life guard does NOT mean that you know about stress fractures. And honestly, why would you even bring up being a life guard???? Almost anyone can become a life guard.

As admirable as the intentions of this thread may be, this thread still does nothing but perpetuate frustration.

4. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

Do you think it would be necessary to play Yao 33 minutes against every team, including Memphis, who we are now leading by 20 points WITHOUT Yao? It is simply a waste. It is like using a sledgehammer to open a Pepsi can.

When I see the Adelman play Yao for 40 minute games every night against these crappy teams, it makes me want to scream! :mad: It is totally unnecessary. Yao should be using this time against the garbage teams to rest. Best thing to do in these situations, put yao on the bench, or put him in only if the game starts to get close.

5. A00man

A00man Member

What are you talking about? Go look at any all-star center from the past in the NBA. 35 minutes is the norm, it's not the max! Yao was playing 37 minutes. Perhpas that was too much. He should go down to 35 on most nights. You're saying 20 minutes? Backup centers play 20 minutes! You clearly don't know much about the NBA.

6. ACL1

ACL1 Member

re-evaluate his shoes. Get him fitted for good orthotics.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have some that my podiatrist made, they make a huge difference.

DD

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Your understanding of what a stress fracture is, FAIL.
    Your comphrension skills, FAIL.
    Your use of Wikipedia to backup your arguement, FAIL.

Please try harder.

9. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

vitamin D deficiency.

wear orthodics

less, but more efficient, minutes

10. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

why dirk could not play 10 mins before yao's injury. he is quite a defensive screen.

11. kwng

kwng Member

The reason this thread was raised is because there is good possibility of such fracture recurring as it happened only after half of the season games. I believed some ideas from people who have knowledge and experience on such stress and how to prevent recurrence of it will be beneficial to discuss. If I were to know
    the solution to prevent it,
    a different thread topic would have be raised.
    If you think this topic create frustrations, you have basically think there is no solution available or there is no way to prevent it from happening. That doesn't mean one should not try. There is a way if there is a will.

12. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

Your understanding of English, fail.
    Your understanding of a simple medical definition, fail.
    Your failure to admit to mistake on the coach's part, fail.

13. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

It's simply r****ded to play Yao full minutes on a team like Memphis, Seattle, Washington, Miami, Atlanta, etc. It makes no sense whatsoever. There was no need to put him in that long against mediocre teams. The longer you put him in, the greater you risk injury to your greatest asset. The team didn't need Yao for any of those games, and certainly not for 37 freaking minutes. At the very least, Yao should have shared minutes with Mutumbo when Yao was still healthy. Now it is far too late. I respect Adelman as a coach, because he is certainly a factor in this team's chance to make the playoffs, he system is a factor in the 14 game winning streak. But Adelman has virtually killed any chance that we have to make it to the finals, by his abuse and mishandling of Yao Ming. I don't care what the average minutes for centers are. None of them are close to Yao's size. You don't play a 7'6" center the same way you play a 6'10" foot center, period.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Chris Kaman averaged more mpg then Yao :eek: Yao is 30th in mpg so it isn't that bad.

15. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

1) Chris Kaman is 7 feet, 260lbs compared to Yao at 7'6", 310 lbs. There is no comparison.

2) Chris Kaman does not have a well-known history of being prone to serious injury, as Yao Ming does. I'm not talking about sprained ankles or hamstring injury. Those are far from serious. When your most valued player has a record of being prone to serious injury, and yet you keep him on the court for full minutes against teams that can be easily defeated without him, there is something very, very wrong with that picture.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yes, I mispelt a word. Please reach a little further.

http://www.medicinenet.com/fracture/page2.htm
    From Yao:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3498194&postcount=1
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2008-02-29/17133503472.shtml
    Yao fell and injured his ankle. Playing with a weakened ankle the condition worsened into a stress fracture.

[​IMG]

17. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

From your link:

"A stress fracture is an overuse injury. Because of repeated micro–trauma, the bone can fail to absorb the shock that is being put upon it and become weakened. Most often it is seen in the lower leg, the shin bone (tibia), or foot. Athletes are at risk the most, because they have repeated footfalls on hard surfaces."

How the hell is that definition any different than Wikipedia's??

Again, your ability to understand a simple English-language definition: FAIL!!! :D

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'm sorry. I overestimated your ability to understand.

19. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Cut down on the training. At this stage of his career, there aren't many more moves that you can teach him that he doesn't already know. Even if there are, Yao doesn't need more moves. He is gonna be at least one of the top 3 centres in NBA for the next 5 years.

Just do some light training, light practice on his existing moves and shooting touch. For conditioning and maintaining stamina, do swimming instead of running.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't by into this stress fracture thing...i mean if Yao is stressing, at some point in the game, he should know that's he's hurting his foot. Why can't he feel that's hurt?? It's almost like he has no sense on his legs like he's a robot or something...that he can't feel that's his fracturing his BONE? OUCH!!