1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to Debate Politics Like a Gentleman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Sep 24, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I subscribe to this blog, and they posted this on Monday. I thought I'd share.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/09/21/how-to-debate-politics-civilly/

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Good read. You would think that its common sense, but no. I wish more people felt that way.

What gets me is that people side with their party on pretty much every issue. Wow can we all be so alike that most of see things only two ways in this country? Thats amazing. There should be no divorce than either if we just married to someone from our party! Oh happy day. :rolleyes:

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am independent, and I wait for somebody to make sense. I never vote along partly lines. I have been in government so long that I seriously struggle with cynicism. Most candidates don't inspire me, it is all so "sound-byte" superficial. Left and Right are both wrong on most issues. The real issue is excessive self-interest and far too little principled idealism. Too bad, Ross Perot proved to be largely a nut case, because he had a few good ideas. I am convinced of one thing, the smartest people in this country are not in politics, just the richest.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Agree 100%.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks, wes.

I wish the quoted article was stickied here.

In fact, I wish it was posted as the rules for posting here. I would follow them if others did. And I think it would make for some really great conversations.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Yes, thanks, wes.

Hey, Batman... we've had a few good, gentlemen-like discussions... don't let anybody tell you different.

I've agreed way more than some the ilk I've been grouped with, as have you.

We all can pretty much agree to disagree usually... and there are extremes on both sides.

What I find funny is that some see you and I, Batman, as extremes of either side.... while we both know there are others on here farther out to the ends of either side of the spectrum.

I trust that for the most part, you and I are held in the regard of gentlemen for the greater part of our time on here...

Disagreements come naturally. It's the responses that have to be learned. ;)

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

True, IROC it.

I've been a terrible jerk here. And often.

But I try not to be. That is, to people who aren't to me.

We don't agree about hardly anything but you've never been a jerk about it. So I feel obliged to respond in kind. Same goes for Refman and weslinder and others. (I have been a jerk to giddyup when he wasn't to me and I apologize for that, but it's mostly because he kept insisting we all reply thoughtfully to viral smear emails.)

I really like talking about this stuff, not just fighting about it. I don't care about winning fights here because, well, what's the prize for that?

I'd rather have actual debates.

I think you're wrong about just about everything to tell the truth. But I appreciate that we can "debate politics like a gentleman."

I think my favorite part of the article in the OP is the part about how political discussion was once considered noble and important. Today it is considered impolite to even raise the subject - not just at dinner parties but anywhere.

Political discourse and debate is our duty as patriotic Americans; it is not "poo-flinging."

But we have a responsibility to be respectful in our disagreements if we want to change perceptions about that.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wish I could give this thread 10 stars.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We could lead by example.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The Art of Manliness continues its long tradition of dispensing epic nuggets of win. A must-subscribe for every warm-blooded male.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I actually had one of my more enjoyable political debates a couple weeks ago arguing on the side of the Republicans.

Great thread weslinder. I'm glad to see you posting more since you haven't been as much ever since I've been granted access to this forum. I officially want to buy you a beer.

13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

**** YOU

:D

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sick and tired of that old psalm singing Indianapolis politician Mad Max and IROC you and Batman Jones are oily-Gammon churchgoing specimens and you weslinder are simply a classical ingoramus.

:p ;)

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

T_J... please read this thread...

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

One of the biggest misconceptions is that there is much difference at all between the two sides to begin with. I vote for the challenger in everything I can because that is the only practical way I can voice my dissatisfaction with the status quo. The idea is if people keep losing their seats in government maybe somebody will come along one day who gets it. When things start looking better maybe I'll vote for incumbents.

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This article is the anti-recipe for TJ and basso and giddy.

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Politics historically divide and polarize people into factions.

I find that republicans tend to support republicans
    and Dems support Dems

and independents tend to swing back and forth (there's only 2 choices in any election)

I think the real issues are rarely addressed in a political campaign

today there are galvanizing issues, even if they aren't clearly understood they seem to divide people based upon personal worldviews.

Debate is often not a search for truth, but a war of worldviews.

It would be nice to see more respectful, considerate and mature debates, but I guess war is hell even in the cultural wars.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

• Disagreement in politics does not a pinhead make
    • Try you darndest to see the other side
    • Concede a point where appropriate
    • Don't use inflammatory language
    • Stick to the facts

So, going by these guidelines for civil debate, did Obama or McCain fair better in the first presidential debate?

It's interesting how some critics are giving points to McCain for belittling his opponent, while taking points from Obama for pointing out common ground between the candidates. I think something we're sorely lacking in this country is an ability to discuss politics with civility and respect. By that standard, I think Obama did far better tonight.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Obama did slightly better, but neither did well. Obama certainly conceded more points, and rightly so. McCain had opportunities to the same. Both seemed more interested in playing gotcha than debating the issues, though.