1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets look after the Scola deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Honey Bear, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Dr. Basketball

Dude if all of that happened we would join the giants in the west. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN THOUGH!!!!!!! STOP DREAMING

2. yaominn

yaominn Member

i know rebound is important, but it's not as important under coach A as under JVG, the point difference decides the results of a game

3. Fuse

Fuse Member

He was asked to shoulder a lot more than he was suppose to in his first year with both T-mac and Yao going down.

In his second season, Alston did fine, but he certainly left much more to be desired, especially with his finishing.

4. Fuse

Fuse Member

Its a remote possibility, but not impossible, considering the fact that we still have the assets to pursue those two players.

5. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I agree 100%. I think Brooks has massive potential and we will hopefully phase out Rafer and his terrible shooting. We probably need a solid backup to Tracy so that his absence isn't extremely noticeable.. Last season every time he came off the floor everything fell apart.

6. krockets

krockets Member

If we sign Scola starting at $3+ Million, then we only have about $2 Million left to sign Matt Barns, I highly doubt Barns will settle for $2 million a year..

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the way i see it we have:

yao-deke-butler
    scola-hayes-harris-landry
    shane-bonzi-novak-reed
    tmac-luther-snyder-newly
    james-rafer-brooks-lucas

that's 19 players, not all under contract. so how will that be cut down to 15? well the rockets either need to be ok with cutting or not signing 4 players, or find a couple of multi-player trades.

here's what i would do:

1. lucas will be cut. he wants to contribute. he won't do that here behind 3 other PG's. he's only partially guaranteed. that's an easy choice to make. let him move on. better for both parties. that cuts the roster down to 18.

2. let newly stay overseas. we don't need him this year, nor is he ready to contribute. another easy choice made. that cuts the roster to 17.

now it gets tough:

3. harris or landry. morey made it a point to trade for landry on draft night when there were other PF's avaialble. he also made it a point to give harris a 2 year deal (thogh only partially guaranteed). if landry was already signed then cutting him would make him a FA. that doesn't seem like something you do to a guy who you traded for just less than a month ago. signing harris was a rookie mistake by morey. IMO harris will be cut after trianing camp, even though he looks like the better of the 2 right now. down to 16. one more to go...

4. the toughes one yet. reed, snyder, or luther. reed was specifically asked for in the james trade. i think he's staying. that means either the rockets cut snyder in the last year of his contract, or deal him with head (moving bonzi to the backup 2) in a deal for another front court player. my guess is that luther is too valuable to move just to cut the roster down. i see snyder being cut or traded for a TE or maybe a future pick or cash... something of that sort.

that's it. 3 cuts and one no-sign. no more trades.

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Trade away Mike James, JL3, and Bob Sura.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Seniority puts Mutombo over Yao on the depth chart, then, doesn't it?

#89 topfive, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  10. AMD

AMD Member

I agree with you that this is a tough decision but I don't think that it is one that has to be made. I would keep both Landry and Harris. Novak may have had a decent game last night but he's a completely one-dimensional player unlike both Landry and Harris. Get rid of Novak.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No way we trade away James. Alston or Head would go first.

We will try to get something for Lucas (2nd, cash), but he will be cut otherwise. (1 spot)

Newley will defintely remain overseas. (1 spot)

Harris will be released at no cost to us other than his summer check. (1 spot)

Novak, Snyder, Reed should be open for trade offers.

I still want another legit NBA PF via FA (PJ Brown) or trade (Donyell, Ike). A Scola-hayes-harris/landry rotation does not give me a lot of confidence. After all, only Hayes to this point has proven he is an NBA rotation player, and even he is a limited, 20-24MPG type guy. Landry has some promise, Scola has more, but we can't assume either is good for the other 24-28MPG at the NBA level.

12. awo86

awo86 Rookie

we really need those 3 for 1 deal to get a quality rotation player. right now, the rotation order is probably as follow:

TMAC
    Ming
    Battier
    MJ
    Bonzi
    Chucky

---------borderline guys
    Scola
    Alston
    Head
    Deke?
    ---------doubtful
    butler
    landry
    brooks
    snyder
    ---------hopeless
    novak
    reed
    lucas

so to sum up...we really only have 2 quality players and abundant servicable role players. we need to get quality role players, not merely servicable.

13. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Ummm... Why did you bench T-Mac???? :confused:

14. therox3

therox3 Member

It's foolish to say Head is just a shooter. That was the role he was forced into in JVG's offense but that's the extent of his skill set.

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Right, because Yao is a first year rookie getting his feet wet for the first time in the NBA. Well interpreted.

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Head is JUST a shooter. His handles and passing are well below average for someone with his height. And when you consider he can't run the point, he's nothing more than David Wesley without the hard-nosed defense.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Justin Reed in heading into his fourth season in the league. He's been playing longer than Luther Head. There is no reason for him to have to play in the summer league.

18. devin23

devin23 Member

Head is too valuable of a 3pt shooter to be left out of the rotation and not to mention his clutchness. Expect him to play pg/sg reserve.

19. ham

ham Member

I don't think you all should be so eager for Rafer to be traded away. Rafer off the bench is a real luxury, and I'm not so certain he won't be starting, as the Rockets might see him as more of a "true" PG than James. Just because he was inadequate last year as the only decent point guard doesn't mean that he will be this year when he shares minutes with James.

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

we are now in excellent shape, providing scola at least decent. if anything is an improvment over the glacier juwan howard and the 'midget' chuck hayes, we are in really good shape. i am impressed.