1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets can get Chris Paul AND another star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jun 24, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this a real possibility?

How low could we get Ryno's contract?

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

This won't happen...i think Bima said yesterday that stretching Anderson would mean we would still have something like 9M on our salary cap for 7 years...Morey will never do that, he would rather overpay to trade/dump him now.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So you're saying we're going ALL IN?

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, sammy and LFE171 like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bima squashed the idea of expecting any help from stretching Ryno.

here:

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I find it hard to believe that Sacramento, who is way way under the cap, wouldn't take Ryan Anderson's contract if you threw in someone like Sam Dekker. For a team like the Kings, Dekker would be a great piece to have to grow with their young guys, and if they have to use the money on someone, Ryno being a Sac native wouldn't be the worst veteran in the locker room.

It's just that we really would have no power forward besides Harrell, and we really would have too many guards if Morey really believes he could get Paul. You can't have Paul Bev James Lou and Gordon all on the same team. I loved our guard rotation last year, I'd dump someone if it meant getting Chris Paul, but otherwise I'd rather we keep all our boys and just add someone else to the front court. I definitely don't want us losing any of our players just to get someone like Lowry.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Possibly dumping an all-NBA Defensive Player and the Sixth Man of the Year... thought these were guys you try to hold on to?

7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Logic says yes. Unfortunately the Warriors defy logic.

8. Asian Sensation

No. These are guys you cash in on (if the prize is right). Their values are both at an all time high and are coming off stellar years that may be hard to replicate.

Buy low sell high. Always.

9. craguin

craguin Member

Bobby Marks - June 26, 2017 -The Vertical's top 20 free agents:
    "5. Paul Millsap (PF)
    Expect Millsap to get slightly more than the salary he opted out of. [...]

13. Andre Iguodala (SF)
    Iguodala is unlikely to get the four-year, $72 million deal the Lakers gave Luol Deng last summer.

With the market limited because only a third of the teams in the league have cap space, Iguodala should get something in the neighborhood of $15 million annually."

saleem and Vivi like this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I thought you wanted to trade harden lol

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Millsap around 25x is what i always expected. Let's hope someone pais Iguodala even more lol.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

EG isn't going anywhere. PB is only gone if a cp3 is a legitimate possibility. nothing wrong with any of that

Sooty likes this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

WRT Sacramento I don't even think they would need dekker in order to obtain Ryan.

Looking at Sacramentos roster and the confidence it seems we are showing to land cp3, makes me feel like we have a deal on the table with Sacramento but waiting for the new salary year to kick in.

They have so many expirings and have what appears to be 30m in space. Not only that but who are they going to sign? They aren't star chasing. They have history of significant interest in Ryan previously and we're strong suitors for him in last year's free agency .

Also, take a look at their roster. They have literally no power forwards of quality. Not even young promising prospects.

Add to that they are rumored to be trying to instill a culture and Ryan's reputation for being a great locker room guy makes it seem like a perfect fit. Especially since they are trying to invest in taking much more 3 pt shots.

Anderson+2nd to Sacramento for nothing seems absolutely reasonable and puts us right up there by cp3s Max.

Sidenote: Does anyone know when the new salary year kicks in to effect?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

July 1st. But really, after the July moratorium when all the accounting is finished.

saleem and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

You know that i'm not as confident as some of you guys about how easy is going to be to trade Anderson, but this situation i don't know...i also don't want to make the same mistake i made the last couple of years when i was very positive on our recuitment but again, there's something that does seems strange for sure...the rumors about Paul having serious interest in us (also coming from ESPN which i guess means something), the fact that he was already cloese to come here years ago, Pat acting like he's 100% gone, what Morey said last week...i don't know, but it really feels like there's already some sort of agreement with Paul, and that would mean we already know we can somehow dump Anderson contract.

I think the new salary year starts on July 1st...? (beaten lol)

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would prefer Milsap to Paul George honestly if we could get him at a reasonable deal and make it work. Paul George is a better player, but I do worry about having three guys who are on ball players like that.

A Chris Paul/Harden/Ariza/Milsap/Capela lineup would be pretty damn good. Although there is serious risk if you have to give up Lou, Bev and Gordon to make it happen. Really want to hold ONE of them to be the 6th man. it doesn't seem feasible, but I would absolutely love to keep Gordon. He's the guy that can be the wildcard to help you beat Golden State.

saleem likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you, and it should be doable if Millsap ends up getting 25x and Atlanta is willing to sign and trade him.

EDIT: i forgot about Ariza...not sure it's doable lol, maybe if Paul is willing to take a paycut, like 30x instead of his max (35)...or if the Clippers are willing to sign & trade him too.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I order to field a real team the rockets need to get cp3 and another star with harden and have there total salary combined not exceed 75m.

At that point you can keep Ariza and one of bev Lou or Gordon with Gordon being the hardest one to keep because of his salary.

I would love to have Gordon off the bench with a big three of harden cp3 and millsap.

Not sure it's possible though prob have to keep Lou at best.

Cp3
    Harden
    Ariza
    Millsap
    Capela

That's 85m in the starting lineup alone.

Lou 7m
    Dekker 2m
    Nene 3m

The rest is minimum guys and your over the cap I think.

Just a rough estimate but should be able to field this 8 for around 95m or so with a 99m salary cap.

But it comes down to cp3 and millsap taking a pay cut compared to there max and that's prob a rough sell.

But that's a really good team and definitely keeps you in the conversation as potentially a team that can give the Warriors a run for there money. I'd say on paper that team is more equipped to beat golden state than even the Cavs.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

@YaoMing yeah, unless Paul is willing to take a paycut from what he's expected to get, that starting 5 is closer to 95M so...it's doable but not sure we will. With one or two sign & trades it would be better or much better but again, unless at least Paul is willing to take a paycut (cause Millsap at 25x is already doing it), we have no chance to keep Ariza and Gordon...i think this is also why Morey is going hard after George, with his salary we would be able to keep something like Ariza and Lou, or Gordon and Pat (even though these two are probably the assets we would've to trade to have a chance to get George so...).

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You will likely need to pay cp3 the full Max. But it's possible, "possible", that if he's leaving money on the table to contend already it's feasible he accepts around 30m starting. But most likely it's gonna cost 35m.

But I believe millsap wants to contend and I don't believe he will receive his absolute Max and weens like a player willing to take less (prob because he's always been underpaid). But if you could get him in SnT after signing cp3, that would be ecstatic. But if you get him your losing Gordon.

Gordon is the salary needed for a 3rd star plain and simple. Ryan is the salary for cp3 or the first Max star.