1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Dallas Mavericks tried to persuade Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hizzobbes, Aug 3, 2013.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Silly Mavericks' fans.

2. SunsRocketsfan

I would get off your high horse..how do you know we didnt do something similar to this...its marketing. They all do some sort of corny stuff..

Taking off all homer glasses off. Cuban as a sports owner is > Les

3. SunsRocketsfan

Yup, people would be laughing and saying the video was epic and morey is awesome for the idea...

Dont think the video was supposed to be entirely serious and knowing dwights personality he probably smiled, laughed and enjoyed it. Not cringed like the other post said

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Cuban is a master marketer. Marketer being defined as "someone who can make something out of nothing".

In that entire video there was not ONE good reason Cuban could offer for why Dwight should choose Dallas over his other suitors. I saw two basketball-related pics: one of Dirk Nowitzki (who incidentally looks better in cartoon form when the wrinkles can be removed from his face) with the overhead title of "new friends"; and then one of Rick Carlisle sporting a Pat Riley-esque haircut with the overhead title of "new ideas".

And then there were two or three clips of Mark Cuban (who incidentally looks better in cartoon form when the double chins can be removed from his face) and hyperbolized championship banners in 2014 and 2015. And then some futuristic Dallas skyline from the year 2489 or something.

Yeah, like others said, it would have been awesome if the Rockets did something similar, because on top of the pretty graphics we would have added ACTUAL REASONS TO COME, such as playing next to a superstar SG who is 23yrs old instead of 35, on a team with perhaps the best cap management in the business and the most flexibility to keep adding pieces around you. And then, of course, there's the whole part where Chandler Parsons in cartoon has no shot whatsoever at being as good looking as Chandler Parsons in real life.

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Lordy...I mean Cuban could have at least had Dwight holding the championship trophy right?

It was corny and I think that people really didn't understand that Dwight actually wanted to be pretty damn professional about this.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm glad we got him.

I do think a potential Dirk/Dwight combo would be very underrated, especially if Dirk came back strong from last season.

Thank Dream/Morey/Chandler/James/Yao that he made the best decision possible.

7. Raven

Raven Member

You know, I thought the same thing, but the first championship is already there, so it kinda, sorta, made sense. That's why you have both Cuban and Howard holding a trophy, one for each of them. Cuban's trophy to represent past accomplishments and Howard's trophy to represent a new era. I'm kinda stunned they let that slip through.

1 person likes this.
  8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Being a Maverick ends with global domination......?

Is this real life?

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Well the world does revolve around Cuban, I heard, so I get it...:eek::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Eerily similar music. Christopher Nolan should sue too - this was just a dream that never became a reality. :grin:

11. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Did Michael Scott put this together?

12. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

mavs being mavs

cuban has lost all the love he used to have for the game and now loves shark tank.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

GREAT SCOTT!!!

14. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I've seem much better presentations in Shark Tank rejected by Cuban :)

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Well they were right about one thing: "Being a Maverick doesn't end with the Hall of Fame."

16. arjun

arjun Member

So monta Ellis has mavs culture but Tyson chandler doesn't?? Lmao

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The comment in the video of Howard making a 3-point shot epitomizes the strategy of the Dallas Mavericks in this. Dwight Howard to Dallas would have been cool, it would have been a bunch of glitz and glamour, but it is no where near anything anchored in reality. How would Howard win out there? What does Cuban do better than Mitch or Morey would for their respective teams? This video shows how shallow that Dallas team is in both talent and an actual strategy for winning in the next 3 years. Gimmicks like this are great because they open the door, but without real substance behind it you've got nothing. True, more could have been said outside this video, but I doubt it. They wanted to entertain Dwight and were hoping that would be enough to entice him to come...

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Video is kind of corny but I don't have too much of a problem with it really.

The end where it talks about "global domination" though is clearly the Mavs thinking they are the Rockets with the Chinese pipeline. Howard has a better chance at a "global brand" in Houston with the inroads the Rockets have already made than the Mavs.

Cuban will take any chance he can get to jock on Morey. Including hiring Morey's guys.

19. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Cuban added this to his blog after all the negative feedback LOL:
    [rquoter]Update: It appears that most Mavs fans are aware that the video in the Howard presentation was only 2 minutes of a 3 hour meeting and was supposed to inject some fun and demonstrate some of the marketing support we put behind our players in arena. My bad for not anticipating that the mindless would focus on it as the foundation of our presentation. Anyone who has been to a Mavs home game knows we do quite a few of these types of videos.

I wish I could share the presentation with you, but in this day and age it would be fodder for Headline p*rn and not looked at for what it is. It is not worth the hassle.
    [/rquoter]

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It was the ROCKETS that were hot after Tyson Chandler at this time. Mavs swooped in. Again Cuban jocking Morey.