1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How thankful are you now that the Melo trade didn't happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We HAVE seen him under MDA. He wanted no part of it so MDA resigned, remember? The only time we have ever seen good Melo in any real game is when he played in the Olympics on a team full of superstars. The question with getting Melo has always been "Will he finally check his ego at the door?" and judging by how he plays in OKC, I can't say he will.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The problem wasn't the system. The problem is that they wanted to hand the reigns over to Jeremy Lin. We all know how that would have turned out.

3. amaru

amaru Member

That’s all we can do at this point.

4. amaru

amaru Member

Ehhhh you cherry picked his post....

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thankful that we still have Melo threads.

#blessed

Swiss Roll likes this.
  6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If it was just going to be a straight up rush, I feel the same as I did months ago. I'll have to wait until the end of the season to see how Anderson finishes to decide. I never thought the swap was a significant improvement. My concerns with Anderson stemmed from his poor home performance and defense in the post season. He's definitely playing like the Anderson I hoped we were getting when we signed him right now, so I'm not upset we didn't get the third star.

Judging Melo on his performance with PG13 and Westbrook isn't exactly fair. Different teams, different style of play, different personalities. All we can really judge is if keeping Anderson hurt us.

arabrocket likes this.
  7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Put these guys in a Rick Adelman system, and the Thunder are fighting for a top 3 seed...The issue stems for Donovan being a crappy offensive coach...this is Mchale 2.0

Bo6 and Mathloom like this.
  8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I haven't seen Melo play yet this year because Rockets haven't played OKC and, as I watch all Rockets games, I don't have time for other games.

But success is a good argument for not making the trade. Our chemistry is tremendous and OKC's record seems to point to them not having the chemistry our team does.

Also, not at all unimportantly, Anderson is making a great argument for Anderson this year. I hope he continues to excel because even though he has a bad contract he seems to be really working hard to earn his keep and his play is so much improved from last year to this one.

Last year I would have said he was a deficit and a weak link. This year I feel like he's a solid contributor and I feel happy when he comes into a game and not worried and that's all a result of his hard work so I have high hopes he'll continue to be an impact player for us.

I don't see a weak link in our entire roster. I love all 10 of the guys that are in our regular rotation. So making a big trade for a third star absolutely seemed like the thing to do at the time, though I think we all balked at what NYK wanted us to give up as did Morey, and it was clearly a good bet because Rockets are in first place, getting respect like this team has never gotten (including after winning our first championship when we weren't even the cover of SI except for a special Houston-only print edition) as the only team that can take out GSW in the West at least, a dangerous team every night, and one that can only get better the longer these guys play together.

Harden and Paul have had six games together, right? Or seven? Imagine when they've had time to develop chemistry! Rockets are already winning games by 15 on the regular AND they can only get better.

We are witnessing history.

So the trade? Yeah, no.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Umm... MDA's system is ALWAYS handled by the PG. If it wasn't Lin, it would have been someone else. Does anyone honestly think Melo has the vision and ability? If Melo had bought in, I could easily see him playing a hybrid role of Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudamire.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

No one is judging Melo based on his performance with PG13 and Westbrook but rather his accumulative body of work throughout his career. Today's Melo, can you honestly say it is drastically different from Knicks or Nuggests Melo? For him to succeed on our team, he would have to change his game quite a bit.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly. even kendall marshall averaged almost 10 ast under mda. its catered to pgs

what mda was supposed to hand the ball over to melo.....

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Melo looks awful every time I tune into OKC. I’m sure some of it is the overall stupid team they have, but ignoring that, he still looks slow as hell and altogether undynamic. As it stands now, I am glad to have Anderson rather than Melo.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ringer article pretty much sums up the three Melos as a collective embodiment of disappointment for a high potential player, aka this thread... Waiting for Melo

It's pretty ironic Morey has been spared the consequences of his high risk signings even when he gets roasted at the time. Bosh...Melo...the Stern Veto. ]

One could argue Dwight, but the Dwight signing legitimized us as a threat. We didn't have to give up much and there wasn't a good similar option we could've used that money on at the time.

14. riko

riko Member

Not very good.

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Holy crap the Thunder are 11-12?? How is that possible?
    (I only have time to watch Rockets games)

16. hakeemthagreat

If OKC starts on a hot streak, it's "OMG, Russell Westbrook is the GOAT. I love Russell. Wow, look at Russell!!!". But now that their struggling it's "Oh it must be Melo's fault". There is no in between with some of you. Westbrook gets all the credit if they win. If they lose, no matter what the reason is, it's Carmelo to blame. We have absolutely nothing that tells us Melo's ego is a problem with OKC. You just made that up

Robert Kogut likes this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Haven't watched more than probably 10 minutes of Thunder games. Too early in the season for me to watch other teams, especially ones I don't like. But there were people in this and other threads pointing to the Thunder play and Melo's play with them as proof he wouldn't have worked with us. It's certainly applicable evidence, but it doesn't tell the whole story. CP3 has had to change his game a bit, he's certainly significantly more professional than Melo, but I don't necessarily think Melo was incapable of reforming his game to play alongside one of his best friends and another superstar.

It's literally in the OP.

I never expected him to become a total team player, he's a scorer. But I thought if he wanted to be here with CP3 and Harden so bad, he had to have planned to change his game a bit.

Is his play drastically different than Nuggets or Knicks? In terms of the Nuggets, it's been so long since we've seen braid-Melo, I've honestly forgot what he was like at his peak lol. Knicks was a colossal disaster as a team and an organization.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Ryno>old washed up Melo.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.