1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How thankful are you now that the Melo trade didn't happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

But we had to give up pieces for him. At minimum it was Ariza and Ryno. Chemistry is another thing.

All in all, I like what we have right now.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

More talents, better. Melo obviously is a super talent. But, I thought we tried and they wanted EG in return. It was not going to happen at that price. It's not like adding Melo and we could still keep the core we have right now. It was a choice and I am glad that we have the current roster.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

20% still think he needs a system like we have, but 80% still think it doesn’t matter where he goes or how much he plays at lifetime, he will find a way to not fit in.

Okc is wishing they just were Russ and Pg, which is kind of like what Houston has with Cp and James.

RudyTBag and ElDobleK like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am not sure why some of you are so intent that this is a coaching or Westbrook issue instead of players issue. A coach or system are only as effective as the players' willingness to embrace either. Melo has always been an inefficient chucker unless he was surrounded by a bunch of alphas. With how much Ryno has improved this year and how Melo has stayed exactly the same, I am no longer willing to gamble on CP3's ability to keep Melo in line the entire season.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

What makes you think the coach hasn't tried and the players just didn't buy in?

7. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Chalk another W up for Moarrrey.

RudyTBag and s3ts like this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

As do I. However I think we still need improvements to beat GSW in the playoffs. Idk where we are going to get the flexibility for that with Clint up for a payday and another 2 years of Ryno.

9. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

As of now, we just need a player like Draymond green...And Melo is none of that. He's just trash overall. Thank god he's not on this team.

kevtse and hakeem94 like this.
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We could always get rid of Ryno. The question however was if it was worth the asking price to get rid of him.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

64th best player in the NBA, just like ESPN the Magazine noted.

To me, he is at a similar stage to D-Wade. 15 year Vets whose best years are far behind them. Force him to be a 6th man and watch the Thunder get SIGNIFICANTLY better.

#251 RudyTBag, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Or implode if he gets upset.

hakeem94 and RudyTBag like this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Never wanted him.

kevtse and hakeem94 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i always just laugh and go back his reaction when he was asked that. who me?

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I still dream of the day when I'm in the Toyota Center tunnel at halftime, I see Melo walk by and hand him a Coke bottle.

He later says "Hey kid, catch" and throws me his hoodie.

Rockets later get blown out because Just Melo chucks up the next 20 shots and lags behind transition defense trying to pad offensive rebounds.

Wish U were here Olympic Melo.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

And therein lies the problem. His contract is so bad that, despite how well he might play, he’s seen as a net negative by quite a few teams. Anderson’s a good player on an untradable contract. That lack of flexibility can come back to bite you in the ass if you are looking to upgrade....like the Rockets most likely are.

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

New season means new pick to help get rid of him. Also, depending on who we can get back other more costly trades would be worth it. For example, if LBJ wants out and only wants to go to Houston, I would trade Ryno+Ego for him in a heartbeat and I am fairly certain Cavs would be fine with that trade on their part. Same applies to any team that wants veteran presence as they tank away.

18. amaru

amaru Member

I’d make that trade in a heartbeat. Gut feeling is that it will take muuuch more to move Ryno.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How could any of them look stupid... nobody has seen him play in the Mike Dantoni offense with CP3 and the Beard...

20. bongman

bongman Member

Right now, his game is trending up. Let's hope that continues and maybe his cost to value will become more palatable. Not saying I want to trade him