1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How teams are guarding James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I used to see Paul jogging in our Southeast Houston neighborhood pretty often. My late grandmother was a huge fan of his, and of Friday night wrestling. It was hilarious seeing her shake her fist at "the bad guys" on her little TV. It actually had a big magnifying glass over the screen to make the picture bigger. Crazy! She wouldn't let my father replace it, so one day, when she was off shopping, he just came over and did it, thank goodness.

She could never get into basketball, however.

#21 Deckard, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Plowman and don grahamleone like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Agree completely.

Anyway who says watching Harden is boring because of all the ISO dribbling would probably also have hated watching Greg Maddox throw a few pitches just outside of the strike zone to set up that one strikeout pitch.

Blurr#7 and don grahamleone like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotta admit: I used to watch Houston Wrestling when I was a little kid. On a black and white TV, no less. I still remember guys like Fritz Von Erich, Wahoo McDaniel, Mil Mascaras, Ivan Putski...

Fortunately, I was smart enough to give it up before I hit my teens.

Plowman and Deckard like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Earlier, you had Pepper Gomez as the "good guy," and Bull Curry (a real badass) as the bad guy. Those were my grandmother's favorites to cheer or curse, whichever one was in the ring. She lived long enough to see Von Erich and Wahoo. Hated them both! We took her to the Colisium to see wrestling in person, the only time she did, as far as I know. She loved it! I went over sometimes on Friday nights if I didn't have a date just to watch her watch wrestling. She was the sweetest person imaginable until Paul Bosch came on and the madness began.

Plowman likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You certainly don't want to watch it religiously but the occasional guilty pleasure is pretty nice. If I had gone my whole life without seeing The Rock, or Triple H, or Stone Cold Steve Austin I think I'd be a lessor human. Some of these guys are amazing entertainers.

Probably my favorite wrestler of all time was Andy Kaufman. What a fantastic heel!

topfive likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. Here's to grandmas.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Result of all these strategies: Almost the highest scoring average in 60 years and a James Harden who has been prepped to face any kid of playoff defense.

Blurr#7 and topfive like this.