1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how stupid is duncan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by brahma rocket, Jul 10, 2000.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

he has a chance to have a bright future in the east with hill, possibly mcgrady, doleac, outlaw, miller. but no, he's thinking of loyalty. loyalty? screw loyalty when he is in last place in the division with the aging robinson and johnson he is going to be wishing he made a different decision. its just too bad that fluke championship is thing that he thinks he can get again in san antonio, but unless there is another strike (lockout) on the way i dont see that happening.just another year of getting pounded by shaq and kobe duncan, and derek anderson wont change a damn thing.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

[This message has been edited by brahma rocket (edited July 10, 2000).]

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Brahma I totaly agree, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hope in SA. I guess the only thing is Duncan is too nice of guy and too loyal. 2 great qualities for a person, but it makes this look like a very stupid decision.
    Any cap experts know if the Spurs will have a ton of cap room next year after David is a FA? That is my only guess is they promised Duncan that they would get him some help next year.

------------------

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Guys, I disagree.

Two years ago we were talking loyalty when they wanted to trade Dream. We could of had 2 very high picks. Do we screw loyalty then?

What about if Francis leaves as a free agent to play for the Lakers in 2 years because they are winning titles and we are not, do we screw loyalty then?

I agree with Duncan on this. Its rare to have that type of character in todays NBA.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, he should definitely jump ship when times are tough. Hop on someone else's coattails (ala Barkley, Grant Hill), instead of trying to right the ship and take his own team back to a championship. Take the easy way out. Leave the same team/city that he demanded build a new arena to ensure keeping him in town. Nope, guess a little thing called character is keeping him from leaving his team.

By the way, the Spurs are most likely going to win the Midwest next year.

------------------
    I Hate Every Bone in Your Body But Mine

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It must have Been David Filling his head with Crap about loyalty

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

6. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

why not ? theres a difference between dream and duncan. dream gave houston two titles and wanted to stay here, he is an icon you dont trade an icon. and if francis wants to leave in two years to join the lakers, so be it, it must mean that we still suck though.

------------------

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

fail our NBA history class did we theFreak? Please tell me how leaving your fidelity-challenged girlfriend(s) is ever a bad thing.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

How stupid is Duncan?

Well, let's see... He won a championship in San Antonio. If not for a late season injury, he might have won a second championship there last season (yes, I think they could've beat LA and no, I don't think the first one was a fluke). They love him in SA. SA can pay him more than anyone else. He show's great character in choosing to stay with a team and giving them the chance to continue to build around him.

What a moron.

------------------

9. Gideon

Gideon Member

I agree with ya ChrisP. Since when does showing loyalty make you a moron? I'd have liked to see Duncan play with the Magic, but he decided that there were people counting on him, and he had a responsibility owed to the organization that has let him run the show. An organization that has met his demands (new stadium). It just goes to show that Duncan is one of those rare individuals that thinks about the people around him before thinking about himself. Selfless instead of selfish. Willing to put things off for a couple of years to give a chance to the ones who have given to him. Unfortunately the power house team in the East won't be there now, but still he made an admirable decision.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

If he's set on returning, I wish he'd return already.

Perhaps it's that oh so tempting $2.5 Million American dollars that awaits in Houston.

What's a better lineup?

Cato
    Duncan
    Williams
    Anderson
    Francis

Robinson
    Duncan
    Crappy player
    Injured player
    Helium

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

11. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

chris p you are an undercover spur fan, and i hope you were'nt calling me a moron , because you dont even know me, you dont know what grades i get, you dont know my stature , so i hope that was a sarcastic remark.i would'nt call you moron because i dont know you.

------------------

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Firstly, you shouldnt really ever call winning the title a fluke, ESPECIALLY if your a Rockets fan. The SPurs just dominated two seasons ago. A fluke!! THat is ridiculous. In the Western Conference Finals and NBA finals their record was 8-0. The didnt lose a game. YOu can argue about competiton levels all you want, that is just impressive. What was their playoff record, something like 15-1. Usually people who think the SPurs championship is a fluke are the same Eastern Conference fans (usually) who also feel the Rockets championships were a fluke because Jordan wasnt there. That must mean the Lakers championship this year was a fluke too-cmon (besides the fact that I think a Rockets/BUlls finals would go down to the wire either way, especialy during 94-95).

Anyways, if I was TIm I would have bolted too. But I guess his decision does take into account the fact the Spurs wont be around much longer. He is only signing a short deal, giving an old veteran team a couple more chances to win it again. PLus, he gets more money by staying and he gets to go to FIesta Texas whenever he wants (it is much better than DisneyWorld). YAHOOO!

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

13. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

they did lose a game to the knicks , jordan was there he got knocked out by the magic

------------------

14. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Whats best for him? You can't compare him to Dream? What are you talking about?

Duncan is the same icon in San Antonio that Dream is here. I don't remember San Antonio winning any titles until Duncan got there. Why would he want to go to Orlando? To be closer to the islands? Give me a break.

If San Antonio gets Reggie Miller or maybe even Jalen Rose, I guarantee you that they beat the Lakers. Shaq can't guard Robinson AND Duncan. Rose can score with Kobe or Rice. But who on the floor is gonna be guarding Duncan?

AND...

When David Robinson finally retires, they will have tons of cap room to go and get players. And you know they will be lined up to play with a team that has a young championship player and a NEW ARENA.

Brahma, lighten up a little. He was referring to Tim Duncan.

------------------

15. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

how are they going to get jalen, or reggie with 2.5 mil or so left?

------------------

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"Everything seemed to be in place to have a contendor in the east. Maybe Orlando still becomes the favorite with Hill & McGrady, but there was a relatively easy route to the Finals (as compared to the West and having to go through LA & Portland)."

Thank you, exactly as I said, the easy way out. I've got an idea, why don't all the best players in the league all take less money and go play for Orlando? Why even have an NBA? Everyone should just go sign with the Magic, and we could just play the Finals every year, and not have a season at all. We could just have the Magic, and then just take whatever players are left and put them up against Orlando every year. Sounds like fun, right?

------------------
    I Hate Every Bone in Your Body But Mine

17. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

brahma:

No offense intended, my friend. As you hoped and Almu pointed out, I was calling Duncan a moron (sarcastically, that is). Name calling is counter-productive so you'll never get that from me. I respect everyone's opinion, even if I don't agree with it.

As for being a Spurs fan... hardly! By the same standard, I could call you an undercover Magic fan (but I'm not). I'm a Rockets fan first and a basketball fan second. Being a basketball fan, I have to recognize that the Spurs kicked ass in the playoffs two years ago and could have again last year. Besides, I'd rather see my I-10 rivals win it all than the hype machine in LA.

I do get perturbed, though, when people call a champion a fluke. That's just not right.

Peace.

------------------

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

brahma, the spurs have never been dominated by the lakers like you said. They were 3-1 against them this year. Besides, if duncan had gone to the magic, they probably still wouldn't have been able to beat the lakers. It looks like hill is going to team that will look just like detroit next year. Mgrady instead of Stackhouse

------------------
    Hakeem, Hasaw, Haconquered.

19. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Brahma did you wonder how the Rocks were gonna sign Anderson to an exception? Is it impossible to imagine that maybe Reggie won't go the rebuilding route and wants to win so he goes to SA?

(More proof that armageddon is upon us)

I totally agree with The Freak. The easy way out is to go to Orlando. What would that say about Duncan knowing that he made all these arena demands and then bolts? What does that say Duncan when the Spurs have done everything to coddle him?

Duncan is doing the right thing here.

------------------

20. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I agree with Crispy [​IMG]. I'd rather a Texas team win than lose, especially over the friggin' Faker$.

There is nothing for me to dislike about the Spurs or the Mavs. Texas has classy teams. I like that.

------------------
    I need a new signature.