1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How soon can a team trade a max free agent signing without losing credibility?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Nov 20, 2013.

1. basketballholic

How soon after signing a max free agent (or signing a max extension) can a team trade that player without losing credibility on the free agent market going forward? We've all seen teams (Knicks and Amare come to mind) that signed max free agents that should have traded those max free agents in a timely fashion to improve their team and they didn't do it.

Right now Miami is hanging on to Bosh. He was signed 3 years ago. If they trade him at the deadline in favor of some sort of change that they think makes them better...do they lose credibility with other future max free agents??

New Orleans is currently sitting on Eric Gordon. They matched a max offer on him from Phoenix. Would their credibility to future max free agents have been hurt if they had shuffled him off somewhere last year? What about now?

Amare should have been traded as soon as the Knicks got Tyson Chandler. Would that have hurt the Knicks credibility on the free agent market if they had moved Amare so soon?

Memphis would have been better off trading Rudy Gay as soon as he was trade eligible after signing his max deal. If they had done that would they have lost credibility with future max free agents?

Right now Milwaukee has just signed Larry Sanders to an extension. It's not a max extension but they treated him like their franchise foundation leading up to that extension signing. Now Sanders has crashed and burned. Really....for the health of their organization and to mitigate risk they should move him asap. I know a lot of you won't agree with that but I firmly believe they should get rid of him if they could because of the extreme risk of him doing ONE MORE STUPID THING and cratering his trade value for the forseeable future not to mention his on-court value. If Milwaukee traded Sanders right now would they lose credibility to future max or near-max free agents??

I know some of this is going to be variable depending on which city and team. But generally speaking how soon after signing a guy to a big deal can a team move that player in trade and not lose credibility with future big free agent players and their agents?

Discuss....

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It matters for smaller markets more so than the bigger ones.

3. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

The only "true" max player there is Bosh.

Chandler might be borderline because of the defensive impact he brings.

But everybody knows Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, Larry Sanders (with the character problems) are not really worth the max. Amare was done because of injuries so I doubt anybody would hold that against you.

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Nene wasn't exactly a max guy, but he was traded soon after the signing for a headcase in JaVale McGee, and he's still universally lauded by the press (I'm up and down on the guy) and fellow execs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Two things. Most guys play for the money. If you offer someone a max deal they will take it. It does not matter if you just traded a guy who was signed to the max.

Next, free agents want to play for a winner. The Rockets are a prefect example. They have traded away lots of players. But once they had a bright future Dwight wanted to come here.

If Miami trades away Bosh, guys will want to go there because LeBron and Wade still make them a championship caliber team.

The exception is older players who already have their money and want a championship.

TL;DR Money then winning are what players want.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess it depends on the free agent.

IMO, the Knicks case really doesn't apply here. He was a big part of the reason why Melo and Chandler wanted to come to NY in the first place and his chronic injuries didn't start until they came to NY. Its unfortunate for NY that this happened, but they wouldn't be relevant now if it wasn't for Amare being the first free agent to take a gamble on NY.

With the Rockets, in their case, if they were to trade Howard right now, I think it would harp negatively on their credibility even if it was the right move. There are too many people inside the NBA circle that would never be able to trust Morey and Les Alexander again. The only free agents signing with Houston would be the ones who just wanted to get paid and didn't care where they played ALA Al Jefferson.

I'm assuming that Dwight with the Rockets is the reason why this thought crossed your mind.... maybe I'm wrong but that seems to be an obvious case right now people are thinking about.

I think the same situation would happen with Bosh if Miami traded him in his first year or two in Miami. Lebron and Wade's inner circle of business folks would likely cause a stir over this, and it wouldn't have boded well for even Pat Riley & Arison. However if they wouldn't have won two championships and been to the finals 3 years in a row, I would think that Lebron's people would be more than fine with the move.

Larry Sanders and Eric Gordon are two players I could easily see being traded even though they were re-signed to large deals. They aren't going to hold the pull among the league that a Lebron, or Howard will, and there are justifiable reasons for their teams to do so. Lets be honest as well... at this point in their careers, Gordon, and Sanders are probably more than willing to play for any team in the league that pays them that kind of money than they are to just play for a winner with their friends.

Different situations and different players have different outcomes. Long story short, I wouldn't trade Dwight anytime soon if I was Morey.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The difficulty in trading Bosh more than anything is that his contract would drastically reduce the yield. He can decide he wants out after this season, after next season, or run it through the season after that. As for Howard, people are just being ridiculous, the team has lost a cpl games through bad luck, hasn't even really looked any good, played through almost as many injuries as illness as we had last season and is still 8-4.

8. basketballholic

Don't go off-topic and discuss whether or not guys are going to be traded or could be traded. The question was if a team signs a max free agent or a player close to a max free agent to a big money deal, how soon after signing him can they trade him without losing credibility with other potential future max free-agent players and their agents?

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL @ basketballhollic discussing credibility...

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Undetermined and unknowable because it has never happened before. But Howard and Harden are more than max level players. They are healthy franchise level talents and no team ever lets those players go.

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

That's what Jason Collins said...

1 person likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What the OP really wanted to ask is: Shouldn't we trade Howard as soon as we can?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL, but then when you point out the obvious he tells you to not get "off topic"

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Think you are thinking of the wrong person.
    If its the whole eye scam thing then that is BasketballMind or something like that.

15. yummyhawtsauce

rofl. this thread.

16. s.b713

s.b713 Member

LOL man you sure love that guy, every thread you post there's usually a remark regarding him.