1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How serious are the Lakers about getting Yao??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by silentfan, Feb 12, 2004.

1. birat

birat Member

I don't think they'll be giving up Shaq. There's no better point in having 2 good centers. You can't use them both at the same time.

Shaq is still the powerful center in the league. It's the team chemistry that's killing the lakers now.

2. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

You guys all forget that in Yao's case, he is gonna make much more $$ from the commercials down the road if he becomes the mega star as most people (or at least Rockets fans expect). The salary is nice, but that's just a piece of cake compared to th money he makes out of those deals he makes with Fortune 500 companies.

Yao did mention time and time again that money is not the most important thing, to treat him honest is. Look at the Nike and Reebok deal, Yao was about the sign with Nike. However, the Yao team found some tricky items in the contract and turned the offer down. When Nike knew that Yao was about the lock in a deal with Reebok and came back to him again with offer worth of 250% what Reebok pays him, Yao sticks with Reebok.

There are two things that the Rockets absolutely need to do to keep Yao in Houston after his rookie contract is over:
    1. Be totally honest with him all the time (and nice);
    2. Gradually build a team that's complementary to his skills.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The answer to keeping Yao Ming has been presented for nearly two years now. The Rockets must have compatible players on the team, such as a traditional Point Guard that is a Playmaker first and foremost. Players that are hungary for wins rather than personal glory, players that want the big prize more than the big paycheck. CD and JVG realise this and will make the required adjustments after this season.

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Not a chance unless they would throw in a 2nd round draft pick to sweeten the deal. :cool:

5. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Keep smoking.....

:D

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Q: Do you see Yao Ming as replacing you as the most dominant center in the game?

Shaq: Most dominant? No. Probably one of the greatest? Yeah. Most dominant is a term that, to me, it’s all about banging, it’s all about how you play and all about getting them to change the rules. I’ve been here 10 years and I’ve made them change the rules two times. Yao’s a great player, he’s a great sport. Being dominant is being mean, throwing elbows, talking trash, cursing and all that attitude (laughs). Will he be one of the greatest in terms of playing the game? Definitely.

7. birat

birat Member

Say Hi to your uncle Stevie Francis for me. :eek:

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm still trying to figure out why we are even discussing this.

9. win2k

win2k Member

Man, every team want Ym seriously if possible

10. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

It's getting scary to read this board. Steve is gonna be traded to Philly. Yao will bolt to LA. What's going on??? :confused:

11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I second that thought. This shouldn't have made it past 10 posts.

12. MingRules

MingRules Member

i'm not worrying about what Yao thinks, but i do believe team Yao will do something for bucks, for Yao and themselves.

if Yao feels happy in Houston and promising to get rings, he personally won't leave. he's not money driven. Unlike Karl and glove, Yao won't go somewhere for a ring - he wants the ring, by himself instead of with the help of someone else.

13. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I'm sorry but Yao can not win a ring all by himself. Do you remember what was the first word come out of his mouth when he was asked why he played so well against Shaq on their last meeting?

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol...i was getting ready to post that too

15. tsl99

tsl99 Member

If Lakers can't get the rings three years in a row, it's time for them to pursue Yao Ming.

16. prlen

prlen Member

Yao rejected Nike's offer (175Million, OMG),not Team-Yao.

Inside Stuff

17. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

agreed no man can win a championship all by themselves. Jordan , Shaq, Hakeem all needed help from the role players

18. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Yao is not going anywhere.
    He likes houston, I am sure about that!

19. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Who r u? Kevin Cato?;)

20. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Tell you a secret.
    Yao is a friend of mine.
    He is a traditional Chinese.
    A traditional Chinese won't move if the city treats him good.
    He believes there're something more important than $$$.
    He likes this city. He loves people here.
    He won't feel sorry to the fans beloved.
    So he will never leave unless the city push him out.
    I am sure about that.
    I am not Kelvin Cato.
    Guess who I am.;)