1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Rockets should treat Yao...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Mar 6, 2010.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

First off, you have it backwards... The team has been healthy it's Yao that's been on injured reserve every year....

So what makes you think that next year will be any different...

2. T_Man

I know it's not Yao

3. T_Man

Glad to know that... Blame it on my public school education.....

Ok.. Read what I said about Phoenix.. I stated the Center Position..

Now for the Reality Check on Yao..

1) Yao is coming off of major surgery.

2) Yao's contract is up after next year.

3) Yao has Yet to stay healthy for a full year and is basically undependable come playoff time.

Why play a man such as Yao for the entire year with all the entangibles above when you can start grooming someone else; especially when you are building a team for a motion offense?

4. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

This is a good post. But I have to disagree. I think the Rockets can compete with the best. Yao gives us an advantage of at the center position. With our backcourt developing this season, we're developing lots of weapons. We have Yao on contract for one more season. If it doesn't work out next season with Yao, we can reboot.

I'm not against your idea, I just think we have Yao for one more season so we may as well give it a shot. We were always good with Yao and T-Mac, just riddled by injuries. I think we have a good team. We have a solid backcourt who can shoot around Yao, wing defense with Battriza, Yao clogging up the lane and plenty of offensive options around Yao.

Again, I could be wrong, but we have one season to give it a shot. If it miserably fails, we can start over then. But don't count out the Rockets too early.

5. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

I did read what you said about Phoenix. You're saying that Robin Lopez and Channing Frye are your two ideal centers? Channing Frye is notorious for being absolutely terrible on the defensive end. Take Phoenix's last game for example. Roy Hibbert, of Indiana, went 22&6 on Phoenix in 26 minutes. I would hardly call that good defense.

1) Yes, it is major surgery. But Ilgasukas underwent the same surgery ten years ago and has been doing fine since. So don't count Yao out just because of surgery.

2) Another reason we should play Yao. He has one more season with us. I say we give it a shot rather than just give up and start "grooming someone else." If it's terrible, we can trade him midseason. I just don't know why you're so intent on giving up when there's a possibility Yao could be a big advantage for us.

3) Exactly the point of this topic. We are saying Yao's injuries towards the end of the season are crippling us. That's why we're discussing things that could help Yao last through the playoffs which includes reduced minutes.

6. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

I don't disagree with you at all. They are definitely not comparable. This wasn't entirely targeted at you. Waffles said that Duncan sat out games to get ready for the playoffs and I looked it up to see if it was true.

I'm not saying we should only bench Yao for the last two games of the season. However, playing multiple games that range up to 38-40 minutes a night cannot be good for anyone, especially a 7'6" athlete with a history of foot problems. Reduced minutes would be a big help IMO.

7. GRB

GRB Member

Seems like you know the future.

You don't belong here. ;)

8. GRB

GRB Member

9. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

No faith in Yao AND no faith in Daryl Morey.... I suggest you find another team or sport to watch man.

10. heyangw

heyangw Member

Same feeling here. It is a pity for him to be a Rockets fan.

11. T_Man

No I don't have faith in Yao... Not one bit so ever.....

Too many injuries over too many years...

I saw the hopes that Portland and the Clippers had with Bill Walton...

I saw the hopes that Philly had dealing with Tony and his foot injuries...

Yao is not in his 20's and this team is not set up like the Spurs or Celtics with Old Veterans...

And NO I AM NOT A YOF... I'm a ROF (Rockets Only Fan)...

Been one since the days of Elvin Hayes, Robert Reid, Billy "The Whopper" Paultz, Allen Leavell, Mike Newlin and Bill Willoughby...

Some of you have no ideal of who those guys are...

So how is T-Mac doing with New York... Don't want to use him or Walton as examples... How about Bernard King.. still not enough.. How about Bowie with Portland.. Not good enough let's get current.. How about Arenas with the Wizard, he has that team tied up even before all the gun crap. I could go on and on..

Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it..

1 person likes this.
  12. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

sorry this is the worst thing I have seen.

I mean really????wouldn't any Rocket fan understand Yao ain't going anywhere for at least 1 more year. In that case you hope for the best.

This whole "they can't win anything with Yao" is a disgrace to Rocket Fans who want to believe their team has a chance to win.

A realist would understand we don't have a choice next year, so I hope you don't post next year because you are one of those so called Fans as soon as Player A fails, you will be posting "see, I told you so"

To the fans who keep on believing, keep it up.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

See, this is the main point. This team is fundamentally built around Yao, and we're not trading Yao under pretty much any circumstances. Logic dictates that we will load up and go for it one more time in the end, and even if it fails, we're already in good shape for rebuilding after the 2010-11 season in the worst case scenario as we will have lots of cap room and draft picks. So I don't see a problem.

< Good. >

14. T_Man

I have nothing against Yao. I think he's a great guy, with a big heart.

But the way a lot of YOF's are making him out to be superman and think that he will be just be able to come on the court like there's nothing to it and the Rockets will end up being a top seed next year is just crazy.....

The OP asked how do we treat Yao? Well as a realist you should know it's going to take Yao at least 2 or 3 years to get back.
    A) coming off of surgery

B) Being out of basketball for an entire plus year.

C) How much time and effort do you put into Yao if you are not going to resign him...

D) Everyone is acting like he just signed a 5 year contract.... His contract is up next year...

E) If Yao is only going to play 20 - 25 minutes then he should be with a veteran team such as San Antonio... So that he can preserve his career... He may be helping his self and his career... But he want be helping the Rockets.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What's your point?

He's going to retire a Rocket.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Hopefully for us, thats next year. Give him a pat on the back,shake his hand, and give him a gold watch and thanks for the memories.

17. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

There is only 1 superman, I just hope Yao can be Robin.......and Bosh isn't Batman, he is another version of Robin. Only a selected Few are Superman Tier...Till than the rest of the league has to wait.

This Era is all about
    If Kobe can stop aging
    What LBJ does
    What new exciting wing players can do.

The age of dominate big men who can play both ends of the floor is over...Rules have changed.

18. T_Man

I agree with you on some of this....

The part with the Big Man thing welllll.... I don't think the rules have hurt Big Men as much as they are not prepared or trained on how to play the position.

Now you say you hope Yao is Robin, do you think or believe that Yao can play second fiddle to another Big Man??? Now we are coming back to that pride thing... If Yao can play backup then he would be able to preserve his career..

19. T_Man

Right there with you.......

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Disagree on this one. The college game used to train big guys and big guys wanted to be big guys. Now all the big guys want to play like small guys. If you put Hakeem,ewing,robinson in this era, they would be the top players regardless of position. Shaq last year was still a top big at 36 and duncan is still the best post player in the game on both ends. Greatness doesn't change , just how those view it.