1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How not to react when your child tells you that he's gay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LAFIRMA22, Aug 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've never been gay so I can't say whether it's a choice or not, I simply have no clue. I also respect the infinite positive messages and wisdom in religion. That being said I think it's flat out r****ded the way religion attacks gay people. I don't blame the people(parents), it's not their fault, it's what they were taught their whole life's, it's religion.

As the dalai lama says, my religion is kindness. If you are not hurting anybody, and in fact, are doing the opposite, loving people. Then I absolutely have no problems with you.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The parents are emotionally abusive and risking their kid's long-term well-being for the sake of religious dogma; but there's a window from 15 to 23 where you avoid confrontation until you can support yourself.

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm by no means a big gay rights activist, but man **** those parents. It's so clear they are just those type that only care about their appearance, and rather than face the embarrassment of having a gay son they kicked him out. Glad they got the coverage they deserved.

4. likestohypeguy

I just hate the precedent this sets. Now, how big of a wave of young proud attention whores are going to be trolling their poor parents on video in hopes of a pity-payday after this one's success?

I know, homosexuality is to be celebrated, each and every one, and I'm not saying i wish they would have actually beat him to death per se, but just have made him earn that $60k with some permanent damage. Then, those homophobic parents would get what they deserve too (in prison). Win-win, right?

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

It's at $90k now :eek::eek:

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I honestly don't think it has that much to do with religion. I kind of just think it is a Southern cultural thing, and people use religion as a crutch for their homophobic views. Any real religious person knows that the main point of the bible and church is love, and that being gay isn't worse then any other sin listed in the bible. However, I agree that church's shouldn't have to 'support' sins (i.e. Gay marriage) but too many homophobes think this means they can spew their venemous crap.

7. SexyButIgnorant

Are you kidding me?! They're giving this dude 90K for some video?! I'm a Christian, so I believe homosexuality to be a sin, but I'm all for them not being beat up. But what the hell is different about this dude than what thousands of others gays haven't possibly experienced?

He got up and approached the attackers first, he started screaming first, and his "biology and psychology" bits sounded ridiculous. Not justifying the abuse; I'm admittedly a little ticked that some dude is getting good money for conveniently recording something while I'm working hard for money. Damn these Internet users

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, that's actually both ****ed up and underestimates a young male's capacity to retaliate and escalate violence to a worst-case scenario.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I disagree, people aren't born homophobic, religion is teaching them to look down upon homosexuallity, if you think it's a southern thing where family's pass it down to each other, it's because the family's have been going to church for many years. I know from my family members who are against gays, they get it entirely from religion, "God didn't make people that way, The Bible says it's wrong, I believe gay people will not be accepted into heaven " Is all people mumble out, and it's ****ed up because, besides their views on gays, they are actually mostly very smart and respected family members and people, but for some reason they just become instantaneously moronic when one brings up homosexuality.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Parents sound and act like trailer park trash. The son actually sounds pretty smart.

11. likestohypeguy

Probably. I wish we could have better seen the fight, how exactly it started and finished.

12. VanityHalfBlack

It was already established in the video.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Yea he does. With his knowledge of basic biology and psychology and all.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

tiny little boys who hate their mothers and want to ruin their lives.

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Hold on. 90 k in a couple days? I wasn't born gay but I might have chosen it if I knew it paid so well! ;)

16. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

If you are a Christian, then there is no disputing God's word -- homosexuality is a sin. That said, it is not man's place to judge other men. That's God's role. The parents should support the child, but work to persuade him to drop this pernicious lifestyle.

The greater concern for the child is that he is not saved (obvious in listening to his point about Science vs God) and will spend eternity in hell. So the parents are right to try to bring him towards Jesus, however the way they are going about it is all wrong.

One last aside -- how do you think God thinks about man's study of science? Men think they are so smart because they are trying to figure out how God's creations work... thousands of years after the fact -- and then man tries to use that work to disprove God? That makes zero sense. Science is constantly disproving its own work -- to lift up a scientific conclusion at a point in time as an objective truth is hilarious.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

According to God's alleged word, homosexuals should also be put to death. How seriously do you think we should take such words?

18. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Don't take Old Testament teachings from Leviticus and use that to smear Christians. Use it to smear the Jewish faith all you want -- they still abide by the old covenant. Jesus brought a new covenant and this superseded the old covenants in the Old Testament.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's a sin to not house homeless people. Everyone in here better have a ****ing homeless man sleeping in their house!

20. likestohypeguy

And they better be homosex too.