1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will Yao get since Oden 8.8M qualifying offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Jun 30, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And just wanted to add this to the overall conversation here...yao has said if he comes back he'll only play for Houston...now i dont expect that to keep other teams from submitting an offer, but some may decide Yao isn't worth the time when they could be going after other players, so they may not drive up his value. Or maybe that will make them submit their highest offer right away, who knows, but one should consider how that will affect his free agency.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, are you seriously comparing the two based on games played?

"Yao is clearly a better player and more durable than Greg Oden."

Honestly, I could care less how many games Oden has played, or what he has averaged compared to Yao when he played. What I'm looking at is the fact that Yao basically hasn't played for two years. Two years. Yao is the living, breathing definition of a crap shoot. We have no idea, whatsoever, if he'll ever play again. If he ever can, fantastic, and I hope it's with the Rockets, but pulling up career numbers comparing him and Oden in order to determine a possible contract for the big guy is, excuse me, nuts.

3. SugarLandDream8

Both Yao and Oden are likely to be injury prone for the rest of their careers. Both are likely to miss most if not all games going forward. Inspite of this, Oden has a 8.8M qualifying offer because of the slim chance he is healthy and his potential. Yao also has a slim chance to be healthy. He is just 30 years old which is very young for a center. Most centers reach their prime arouns 28-33 so Yao is in the middle of his prime right now if he was healthy. Yao has shown to the world when healthy he is the best or 2nd best big man in the NBA. So I'm trying to see what Yao's value is. Oden is 8.8 million and he is vastly inferior to Yao. BTW both players have hardly played the last 2 season. I've read many mbs from other teams which says they would love to offer Yao 9-10 million for a 1 year deal

4. lalala902102001

Yao has basically said that he will not play for any team other than the Rockets.

Personally I don't think we'll see him play in the NBA again.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're missing the point. Yao is at the end of his road when it comes to treatment. That's why he said he'll retire if it happens again. Oden could probably get injured 2 more times and still be able to keep trying. That drives up the value of Oden and drives down the value of Yao. It doesn't mean oden is better or will be, but that's just how the NBA works at times. Potential to play and/or play great is a big factor.

6. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I would pay Yao 2-3 million per year, even if he never played another game. Just having him on the Roster and bench would be well worth it. Not only does Yao and his franchise bring millions back to the Rockets, he also is a good presence to have around the players. And he is 7'6, I dont see the NBA getting another one of those guys any time soon

7. SugarLandDream8

Actually that's just your opinion not "how the NBA works". So if GS or some other team offers Yao 10 million for 1 year what would you say then? Yao's in the middle of his prime for a big man. 30 is very young for a center. But both Yao and Oden are injury prone and likely never to play again. BTW Oden's microfracture surgery on both knees and broken knee cap are just as serious if not more serious than Yao's injury.

Again I've read comments from NBA fans from other cities and they say Yao could get a one year deal in the Oden 9 million range. A 1 year expiring contract has value in a trade so it's not that big of a gamble. Also Yao probably brings in 10 million in advertising for the team that picks him up

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its almost as if Yao has some agents working on here.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Your argument is pointless. Don't believe me? Watch what type of deal he gets.

10. highlander3128

Are you dumb or what?

Didn't you see we had already moved on without Yao in our plan? It is a matter whether we take a chance on Yao with miminal risk.

Got it?

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If that's not how the NBA works why does the NBA keep drafting players who are NOT proven and only have potential at high positions in the draft?? Why do they keep giving player smore money that they deserve? Sure, there are exceptions, but for the most part teams want potential and a future, not temporary help that may not work out. Oden is closer to the former than Yao, but both are close to the latter.

BTW, Oden is younger and has more medical options to try out than Yao. At this point Oden's innjuries ARE NOT more serious. How can they be when he's still trying to come back, meanwhile Yao is talking retirement? Obviously Yao's injuries are becoming too much for him to even play.

And i'm not even a fan that wants Oden on this team or one that truly believes Oden will get "fixed", but if you're going to compare him to Yao, then I have to say hes got a better shot of coming back and staying. Talking about what other fans said he'll get is pointless, especially if your such a big Yao fan that you cant be flexible in your way of thinking. Could he get 10 million? Sure, will he? Probably not. Could he get the minimum? Sure, will he? Probably not. Those are his max and min limits and the reality will probably be somewhere in the middle.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yao will at least get offered the same amount of money as Oden. There's no question. Yao brings fans to the stadium. He is an All Star when healthy. His last injury was much less severe than previous. The way the accident was not from a pounding on his feet like previous but rather a freak accident. Just before he went down he was beginning to dominate again. Every doctor has said there is no reason why he can't have a full recovery.

Expect the bidding to start equal to Oden and go up from there. Now whether the Rockets offer him that much may be a different question. But I think they will because a healthy Yao is the best player on the team and a great marketing asset as well. And we know how Morey loves assets.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao needs to retire or possibly take an incentive laden contract starting at the vet minimum.....We really DO need to move on though.

14. Mr_Mean

Mr_Mean Member

Yao for 2.5 Option every year? for how many years if he cant play then its reduce to Mil a year Or what ever barkley had? LLE???

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I doubt Yao gets close to $8.8 mil or even damands it. It's been said many times that if he comes back, he'll only come back to the Rockets and will likely take a small salary, on a short contract.

This is really more similar to Shaq signing as an FA with the Celtics last year: older player with questionable health who has made his money already, whose priority is being in a situation he enjoys playing in.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Only problem is Grant Hill isn't over 7'5".

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd be willing to allocate 6M in capspace for Yao, MLE range. Huge upside, not a crippling downside...considering wage scale around the NBA. I'd call that reasonable. That said, someone will give him 10M/ 1 yr just for the pr and buzz...

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way. This DOES cripple us.

And I can't see anybody offering up 10 mil. Besides he's not going anywhere ...Les paying Yao 5-6 + is my nightmare. Vet minimum with incentives or retirement makes sense but I've had a sinking feeling that Les is going to shell out some crazy multi year deal in this neighborhood...

19. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

I wonder if Chinese marketing money that Les rakes in is worth having Yao available to trot out for a few minutes each half???

20. MandM's

MandM's Member

strange take on Oden issues. mechanical or not the damage is done. surgeries have been performed. i don't see how you can "fix" something that has progressed so far.

same as with yao ming. once the doctors start cutting, clamping, stapleing , screwing the damage is done.

oden will make one more try and then be forced out i see