1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will Omer Asik get paid after the current contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sun12, Feb 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sun12

sun12 Member

Omer Asik averages 10.1 pts, 11.7 rebounds as a starter last year and gets paid 8mil/year.

Roy Hilbert averages 12.2 pts, 7.8 rebounds and gets paid maximum contract at 14 mil/year.

If Omer Asik can be a starter and averages 10 pts, 10 rebounds for next year, I believe his next contract will be AT LEAST 12 mil/year if healthy. If he only plays backup, averaging 4 pts, 7 rebounds as now, he will be lucky to get paid 8mil/year again.

Are the numbers fair? I kind of think so. By playing backup, he will lose at least 4mil/year for his next contract.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He will get near max if not max money. Teams have seen what he is capable of as a starter.

3. sun12

sun12 Member

I highly doubt it if he only plays backup minutes from this point on.

4. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

The league has a long history of overpaying for the center position. It's the only position in the NBA where height is drafted before skills. I would guess somewhere in the 10-12 mil a year range.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Why does it matter how many minutes we give him? Teams know he will be playing backup minutes for us not be because he isn't worthy of the minutes, but we just have a better option in front of him.

Some teams might be a little weary of his attitude, but honestly if they are signing him to come be their teams starter I don't see how that will play a big factor.

You said it yourself, the production he has proven to be able to give as a starter has essentially warranted max money. I don't see why he won't get it.

6. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

I'm guessing around $10/yr. Could probly get more if he gets his act together, and soon! He's def worth it (when he's actually on the court)

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know what he will get paid, but I agree that teams will compensate him for the numbers he put up last year. Just because we acquired Dwight and he has been pushed back to the bench shouldn't hurt his value.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

10-12 mil. He doesn't even lost a skillset while not playing, which is why he has no problem sitting and not playing right now.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

He has to continuously produce at 10pts, 10rbs per game as a starter. If he plays backup minutes, he can't produce at 10-10. On the negotiation table in 2015, teams will think what if that one year full time starting is just a fluke? What if he can't maintain that pace for many years? So most likely, he won't get his full value pay.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He was playing a limited backup role in Chicago and look what he got from Morey. Now there is a years worth of evidence as a starter to show that the risk Morey took was not only worth it, but a bargain.

I will be shocked if he gets less than 12 mil per year.

11. anchel

anchel Member

First of all, I wouldn't compare players level/value based on stats. JJ Hickson stats are also better than Hibbert stats.

Then, good GMs they dont need to see a player playing 30 minutes and doing good stats to value his potential. And much less referring to a player who has already played a whole season with a key role of 30> minutes.

Still, you're right that probably there are still bad GMs who would offer more money based on basic stats/playing time, or put it another way, who wouldn't be willing to offer that same money, if the player has played less minutes the last season.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he quits his whining and plays well the rest of the season with the Rockets then he'll be paid well, if he keeps refusing to play, it'll dependon what the minimum wage is in 2 years.

1 person likes this.
  13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

As it currently stands, 10 a year. If he accepts his role as a backup, plays hard, makes an impact like he did with the Bulls....12-14/year.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ten dollars a year is a steal! :grin:

I don't think you can call an entire year of solid production, a fluke. Especially since produced these stats in the WC and he produced slightly better stats in the playoffs.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

About $13 mil; give or take a million.

16. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Same as Pekovic and he got a huge contract.(I also think Asik is better than Pek)

17. sun12

sun12 Member

Pekovic got 5 year for 60mil.

18. basketballholic

He'll get between 4/60 and 5/80 or more if he stays healthy.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

Not sure but must be more than Lin

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Problem is he's a loser. Charlotte will give him $12m and he can play for a garbage team and get plenty of playing time.

1 person likes this.