1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will DMO sign for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
?

How much will DMO sign for?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. 1 year for under 11 million

26.7%
  2. 1 year for 11 million or over

2.7%
  3. 2 years for 20 million + (team option 2nd)

22.9%
  4. 3/4 years for under 10million per year

26.7%
  5. 3/4 years for over 10 million per year

20.9%
  1. nobie

nobie Member

It really can be whatever at this point, can be 4mil/y can be 15mil/y.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Don't know how Ian Mascrubby got $16million a year. Just ridiculous.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure D.Mo is better than Jokic and Nurkic, even if healty...and i'm a big fan of D.Mo. He's certainly not going to be as cheap as those guys for the next two/three years if he signs the qo to get eventually paid next year.

He's better than Faried if healty though, that's for sure :grin:

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Where's King Cheetah's "doubtful".gif when I need it? D-Mo's five years into proving nothing. There are no public bites from other teams and, as far as we know, there are no offer sheets to be signed.

Right now D-Mo's best bet is the 4 million in the qualifying offer. Given that he's yet to prove anything but how brittle he is, I don't expect the Rockets to go even as high as 10 mil/year. And I don't expect any other team to offer him that either.

He'll have to decide if he'd prefer to bet on himself and his health or to take the safe money. This could be his last NBA contract.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not going to be shocked :eek: if those who chose option 3/4 yr for over 10 million are right, but I really doubt the Rockets or any team for that matter will be offering that much years or money.

As smoothie pointed out, there simply aren't many teams left with the cap space or the need for DMO's service at over 10 million per year.

I generally agree with Smoothie's conclusion about DMO's likely salary range, but find it unlikely any team will offer him 3 or 4 years fully guaranteed.

Anyways I predicted he'll get a one year contract for 10 million or less, so how about a friendly sig bet (signature of winners choice for a month or less if you'd prefer). ;)

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Blast from the past!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L33hiHdq11Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I have a request. Your post was about teams who are candidates for needing a PF and have cap room for an offer sheet.

If you have time, could you take *all teams* who need a PF (as a starter) and list them as SnT candidates, such that DMo would accept a trade there, and Morey has reason to trade with them either to clear cap space (requiring the receiving team to have cap room or large TPE), or they have a target player Morey would want, or the have a likely Top 15 pick next year (good enough for Morey to eat a bad contract for salary matching purposes).

maybe that's too much to ask.

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

For the Rockets this would be a great deal. Hell even 2 years 18 million would be a great deal. Or any 2 year deal in the 20 million range if the 2nd year was a team option. However I just don't see how this would make any sense for DMO. Why lock himself up for 2 years for 20 million or less per when it is the least beneficial in terms of risk and reward. A team option on a 2nd year basically makes the contract a 1 year contract and caps his 2nd year salary regardless of performance. A 2 year no options contract of under 18 million per just seems too low a reward for an extra contractual year.

IMO, its clear DMo will & should follow Greg Monroe's example of taking the QO (or signing a 1 year contract), if no teams offer him something better than 2 year >10/per or 3/4 year >10/per

Correct. DMO accepting the QO while beneficial for the Rockets/Lex Alexander in terms of salary, it would be negative in terms of trade value and asset control.

A player taking the one-year qualifying offer is actually one of the worst-case scenarios for the team in restricted free agency. As Larry Coon explains in his CBA FAQ:
    What that means is that if DMO accepted his qualifying offers, he could reject any trade he wanted to.

Furthermore, it also limits the number of teams who would want to trade for him if he played exceedingly well in the first half of 2016, as they couldn't go over the cap to retain him the following offseason because they lose their Bird rights.

1 person likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for clearing this up Blahblehblah! I love clutchfans, didn't realize the 1 yr QO was almost equivalent to losing DMo for nothing next year (other than his production this year, which is largely irrelevant since we aren't contending). Really hoping we can work out a reasonable 3-4yr deal. He's the one player we've drafted and developed in the last several years that id like to stay the course on.

10. heypartner

You actually quoted Coon explaining what happens when a team matches an offer sheet, not when a players signs a QO.

That is: When a team matches an offer sheet via exercising the Right of First Refusal it means they somewhat screwed the players wishes to switch teams, so as consolation the player gets to block trades for a year, and the team who gave the offer sheet can not be a trade partner.

#70 heypartner, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks HP! While it's clear that a 1 yr QO would hurt DMo's trade value, it clearly doesn't mean teams have no incentive to trade for him with an eye to the future. Seems like this is where we're headed with DMo if he's convinced he's a $15 player in this market next year.

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q46
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but this explicitly states that players who accepts their teams QO is one of the additional circumstances in which a player has the right to consent to any trade.

1 person likes this.
  13. heypartner

Actually, blahblehblah is correct. DMo can block all trades if he signs a QO.

I was responding to the second bullet from Coon.

my bad. blahblehblah is correct on all his points.

14. heypartner

Thanks for that. I was stating yesterday that DMo can't be traded, but from another Coon quote that seemed somewhat vague (in the RFA area of the FAQ). Was looking for confirmation with a better explanation but gave up. You found it. thx.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Jokic is so good. Such an underrated passer.

16. heypartner

Here's my post, yesterday, when I quoted Coon saying we can't trade DMo if he signs a QO. Again, thanks for the better explanation of how the QO is a bad scenario for Morey and, thus, more a tool for DMo's agent to threaten to use to get Morey to negotiate a better deal.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10628525&postcount=1184

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Yeah, the language of the CBA can definitely be difficult. Even when stated "clearly" I still have to reread to make sure lol (and lets not get into the endless clauses/exceptions/annotations).

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't want DMo on a multi-year contract at all.

The obvious reasons are he had back surgery, a trade was rescinded due to his health, and he never looked good at all when he came back - over months and months.

But even moreso - if he believes in his long-term health, he would definitely bet on himself with a one year deal. Right now, looks like he'll be lucky to get $8M a year. He returns to form next year, and he could definitely make double that. Only reason he'd sign a multi-year contract at this relatively very low price is he doesn't believe in his health either.

Too big of a risk. You all who seem cool with risking Rockets' salary cap on DMo, what would you do if you were risking your own money?? I would never bet significant money on DMo returning to form. Not saying it won't happen - just saying I would not bet my own money on it. Bummer for sure, but that's sports and life.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ha, i remember that game, poor Faried :grin:

I miss that D.Mo...hope he's still here and healty for next season.

Yep, i like his game, i really didn't expect him to play as well as he did in his first season.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'll try to do that when I get back from work today. I'm interested to see those results too.