1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will DMO sign for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
?

How much will DMO sign for?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. 1 year for under 11 million

26.7%
  2. 1 year for 11 million or over

2.7%
  3. 2 years for 20 million + (team option 2nd)

22.9%
  4. 3/4 years for under 10million per year

26.7%
  5. 3/4 years for over 10 million per year

20.9%
  1. vince

vince Member

Question is do the Rockets match?

Rockets basically told D Mo go find yourself the best deal you can, we may match if it in our ball park, if you don't find nothing, here is a qualifying deal.

Sure they want him back, but his market value isn't what it was before the back injury. This way the Rockets don't low ball him. When DMo filled in admirably for Howard, his market value was approaching 15 million a year, now it all up in the air.

2. basketballholic

Rockets did more than that this year with DMo.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think teams want to see him play a full year healthy before they commit years and real money to him. That's why he hasn't signed an offer sheet; there aren't any good multi-year offers and teams know the rockets will match most 1yr offers.

So I think DMo bets on himself, and signs the QO, rationalizing that he'll be productive in Pringles' offense and show the league he can stay healthy, setting himself up for a big contract year next year.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As I said before he would get good money back in Europe, just not as good of a competition level.

Rudy Fernandez left the NBA to play in Spain again.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Keep in mind that signing the QO would hurt his trade value at the deadline, as teams would only get a rental for half a season. I'm sure Morey prefers to maintain full value in trade, thus I'm sure he prefers at least a 1+1.

I keep hearing ppl strategize that the threat of QO is a tool for Morey to apply pressure to DMo. I believe it is a bigger threat for DMo to make (albeit a bluff if he feels he's not 100%)...as in what money we save in salary, we lose in trade value, and we might lose him for nothing.

Sure it does offer quick cap relief if he sucks this year, but so does a 1+1 (TO).

6. heypartner

He remains a Rockets RFA for the year whether he signs or not. If fact, we can give him another QO next offseason. I don't think players can bypass the restriction to give Rockets Right of First Refusal by switching leagues. I think that breaks FIBA rules.

I could be wrong. Not counting the lockout season, has any RFA done that? The lockout season had a special ruling allowing RFAs to sign abroad.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are correct.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not talking strictly this year.

In case he gets an offer of 1 or 2 years, and he does suck.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, he doesn't but your hatred of him does.

Perhaps you could donate to this site and become a contributing member?

DD

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I donated but I guess it was not enough. Will try again in the next years.

I have no hatred, Jones is gone, so one day Dmo will be gone or retired.

I just counter the immense homerism here that is not realistic.

You can call it what you want, I wish him the best on any other team, including the Rockets, but I do not see any chance for greatness for both the Rockets and Dmo here.

That is just the natural cycle of an athlete.

PS: If he proves me wrong, helps the team in the playoffs, I am more than glad.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Rockets would be fine with DMO taking the QO.

They obviously like him but don't love him. They extended him the QO and thus far there haven't been any huge offers for his services.

Getting DMO on one year lets the Rockets keep future flexibility, they can use him this year in their rotation if they are good and he is effective, they can deal him or let him walk in 10 months.

Almost ideal for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

His trade value takes a big hit as a rental at the deadline. It is far from ideal, and DMo's agent surely knows how much Morey covets maximizing trade value at the deadline.

A 1+1 is ideal.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

But let's say he signs the qo, doesn't that mean his bird rights are gone?

14. heypartner

No. It's just anothe 1yr contract like any. And we can sign him again with Bird Rights.

Only way he loses Bird Rights is by Morey rescinding the QO or cutting him entirely

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh ok, i thought a player loses his bird rights once he signs the qo.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the Rockets will get a 1 + 1 (although I don't have any recent information on contract negotiations); I full expect it to be a QO or match an offer sheet. I don't think the Rockets are overly concerned with what happens regarding DMO. If the Rockets are out of the playoff mix and DMO is playing well, someone will give up an asset for him; which is more than they would have got renouncing him.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

The only teams left with any real cash are listed below. Teams with no need for another F/C are in RED

Sixers - $28M
    Nuggets - $20M
    Nets - $19M
    Suns - $17M
    Wolves - $13M
    Jazz - $10M

Pacers - $8M
    Lakers - $8M
    Thunder - $6M

The only teams remaining with significant cap space, who also have a spot in the rotation for a F/C are the Nuggets, Nets, Pacers, and Lakers. The Nets and Nuggets are both about $10-11M away from the cap minimum (capologists - correct me if I'm wrong) so I can see them making an offer in that range just to reach the salary cap minimum. This puts his market range between $8-11M.

Similar players were given about the same money this summer:

Meyers Leonard 4 years $41 million
    Jon Leuer 4 years $42 million

So we have a good idea of what he's worth, but the BIG question is will the rockets match? I say 100% yes they will (a.k.a. 2017 cap space be damned!) and here's why:

1. cap space 2017 is increasingly becoming a myth - when the cap projection was $107M it meant we could have an extra $10M in cap, and to create room for a max contract we would just have to move 2 of Ariza/Brewer/Beverley. Ariza still has value and with a pick thrown in, we could get it done. This is the argument for NOT resigning Dmo. However, since then the cap projection has been lowered to $102M, meaning we will now have to move all 3 of Ariza/Brewer/Beverley. Creating room for a max contract will be that much more difficult/costly depending on what picks/players we have to throw in to take those 3 off our books.

2. Having Dmo on the roster could actually HELP clear cap space - he might actually act as a sweetener to take those 3 off our books and help clear cap space. If he is resigned for somewhere in the estimated $8-11M range (seeing as how the average salary this summer was about $16M) if he can have just an average season, he'd be seen as a bargain, and still young enough to be seen as a player with some upside left in the tank. If we have trouble dumping Brewer for cap space, add Dmo to the trade. Better than letting him walk this summer and having to add a pick to dump Brewer next summer.

3. Winning attracts free agents - plain and simple, Dmo will help us win some games which will help us land better free agents. He should not only be easy to trade for cap space himself, but help us dump brewer or beverley in order to create more cap space. Matching him this summer could help attract free agents and potentially help clear cap, its a win-win.

4. He could help land an impact player via trade - If the Rockets choose to not clear cap space next summer, they can use Dmo's salary ($8-11M), age and talent to help land a top trade target. Dmo adds to our asset column while his salary would be a necessary component of trading for a high priced player. Dmo+Ariza+pick may not be enough of a package to land an all star, but we can still get an impact player at the trade deadline. Dragic, B.Lopez, Monroe, Gallinari, Rubio, Knight, Holiday, Gay, etc...

TL;DR: Dmo will most likely be matched in the $8-11M range and it will not only help the rockets via trade, but potentially help attract free agents and clear space to sign them.

3 people like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nuggets don't need a F/C either, Jokic, Nurkic, Lauvergne, Faried, Arthur...Gallo can play 4, don't know if Juancho can too but yeah, i don't see a spot for D.Mo there.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dmo is better than all those guys If healthy.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think it's always a good idea to get a good young player with upside on a value contract. DMo is only 25 and he's only one season removed from Shoiting about 37% from 3. With his size and versatility $8-11 is value for DMo and that's more valuable than cap space because DMo instantly gaines far more asset value than he currently has right now; with the chance to become a huge asset if he has a good year.

As long as the back holds up, signing DMo to multiple years in the $8-11 range is a no brainer, but DMo may choose to bet on himself and take the QO.

#60 Aruba77, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016