1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will DMO sign for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
?

How much will DMO sign for?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. 1 year for under 11 million

26.7%
  2. 1 year for 11 million or over

2.7%
  3. 2 years for 20 million + (team option 2nd)

22.9%
  4. 3/4 years for under 10million per year

26.7%
  5. 3/4 years for over 10 million per year

20.9%
  1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Lol dmo is not in a place were he can just say FU to 8 mil guaranteed.

You realize he wouldn't get anything close to that number in Europe.

How is it a Slap in the face, the NBA is a business. 8 mil is 8 mil that's a lot more than dion waiters got and he's not injured and has more game tape on him with NBA production. If anything it's a good deal for him because all we can really go by is that dmo has not been offered anything even close to that number on a multi year deal because he's still a FA. I mean it's not like the offers are rolling in, training camp starts in 6-7 weeks and this guy is still unsigned that's not a good look for dmo getting a big contract.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I too think it's Rockets offer, too. But probably a counter offer to his agent's first offer. Maybe it's equally distant from the final negotiation price of DMo's agent is right now, too.

#302 heypartner, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't know what offers he has received or has not received, this is all speculation.

I have said all along he will more than likely sign the QO.

But to play your game, maybe teams believe the Rockets will match.

DD

4. heypartner

nm///

#304 heypartner, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

That is not accurate. He can sign in a foreign league if he wants. He remains a restricted FA should he ever come back to the NBA though.

6. opticon

opticon Member

Josh Childress wentry that route when he did not want to resign with the hawks

7. heypartner

Where were you 10 pages ago when this discussion came up and several agreed otherwise. :) I just recalled them making a special accommodation for the lockout year, and couldn't remember anyone doing it, otherwise. I'll go with your take, now
    Ah. 2008, right. Good call. He got a huge tax free contract with right to opt out each yr

Rep

8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

When must D-Mo sign his QO? It looks like he will either take whatever offer the Rockets have on the table by then (assuming there is one, and I think there is) or he will sign the QO.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HELL!!! Will he be signed before the d*mn season starts??

Rocket River

10. DaDakota

There is no hurry here - I mean training camp is still a full 2 months away.

DD

11. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Why should that scare any teams off? The major free agents are off the board and nothing is going on. What's the downside of tying up your cap for $8m for three days at this point. Either the rockets will match or they won't - you don't have to overbid bc most of free agency is done. Point is, I don't think that's why he's not getting an offer.

1 person likes this.
  12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Only way teams will know if Rockets will match are teams that are really and truly interested in DMO and so far as we know there are no offers that we've heard of at the moment and that doesn't help DMOs negotiating position with the Rockets. Remember DD the Rockets gave $80 million to an often injured Anderson who plays DMOs natural position so we could possibly assume they don't want put the bulk of their money into the same position for two often injured players and especially one who's had back problems. I could be dead wrong but I think DMOs camp is looking for a sign and trade and that takes time because a SNT is much more complicated to put together.

13. DaDakota

Oh, I know they gave Anderson 80m, I wonder who exactly they were bidding against?

As for DMo they have him by the short hairs, he is a RFA - and the only teams with cap room left are not all that attractive, so to me, DMo should sign the QO and become an UFA next year.

And they might be looking for a S&T - which is not so easy being you have to WANT the parts coming back in, again if I am the Rockets....I say take it or leave it - or force our hand by finding a better offer.

It is more of a situational thing - I get it...I am sure most intelligent people do as well - but folks need a ball to punt around during the slow times so here we are....

DD

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Well said DD.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't you mean a.....can? :p

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Donuts is only 25. If his back remains a question mark for other teams and the offers are not at a level he desires, with a situation that looks attractive to him, why not take a 2 year deal with a team option the second year at $8 million per year? The possibility has been mentioned here and elsewhere, and it remains an intriguing outcome. Better than DD's QO outcome, in my opinion.

If he is clearly healthy next season, playing at the level he played at during the 2014-15 season while he was obviously pain free, the Rockets would be looking at offering an attractive extension during year 2, wouldn't they? And if they don't, as a free agent at age 27 and healthy, playing at a position where 7 footers with his skill level don't grow on trees, DMo would get plenty of lucrative offers and for multiple years at the end of year two. The Rockets would still be the only team that could offer a 5th year, if they want to lock him up. Just a thought.

#316 Deckard, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  17. heypartner

You can't extend/renegotiate a 2yr contract. Must be a 4+ year contract.

I'm following you, though. I think Morey really wants 3-4yrs, as he usually always does. But he will settle for 2 in this situation.

I feel what he is doing is just establishing a starting point for money...by saying some is non-guaranteed. Then they negotiate guaranteed money and how to spread it across years...where he'll say he wants more years...if they want more money.

Like this ... just for fun

DM: $16m, half guaranteed, where you can turn UFA faster

Agent: We'll need double that...all guaranteed.

DM: You want $32m guaranteed? OK, I'll do you better than that. $42m partial guaranteed. $30m guaranteed in first 3yrs and a $12m 4th yr non-guaranteed. This is good because it lets us renegotiate the 4th yr like we did with Harden. Take that back to DMo, and see what he says.

Here he focuses on total dollars and Harden treatment for extension after yr 3, and focuses less on dollars per year (which is $10m/yr in my example).

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That sounds like a scenario DMo and his agent might go for. That's $10 million a season for 3 seasons. Pretty rich for a frequently injured player who hasn't proven himself healthy this off-season. If that's offered (obviously we have no idea), Donuts should jump on it. He'll be in his prime at the end of that deal. Again, assuming he's healthy. It's also a contract attractive to other teams if he proves healthy this season and next year. Morey would have to like that. Another arrow in his deal quiver.

19. DaDakota

I am branching out my brand to do more BBS memes.

DD

20. DaDakota

The thing though Deckard is the cap goes up roughly 14m more next year so every team will have more cap room, which they will all use up next year, so it is smarter of him to play for one year, prove he is healthy and get a big offer next year.

Signing a 2 year offer with the 2nd as the team's option is not really smart for DMo.

And he is NOT Frequently injured he has had one injury - which a ton of players have also had and come back fine.....this frequently injured stuff is annoyingly false.

Right, Mr. R? ;)

DD