1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much salary is Sergio Llull worth and how much $$ gets him here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

That's one option.

The other option is an outright sign and trade for Dwight putting together sending to a team like Charlotte or Sacramento along with TRob to the Lakers (or somewhere else) and around $4 million of non-guaranteed salary going out also that the Lakers (or any other team) can simply cut. This would be a "stay above the cap" move which would allow us to have the full $5.25 mil MLE this season along with the bi-annual.

Those exceptions could then be used to:

1. Sign Llull
    2. Sign Canaan to the Parsons-style contract so we control his rights into restricted free agency.
    3. bring back Garcia (or possibly Delfino if he is not traded today or tomorrow).

2. rokit

rokit Member

actually, the buy-out is 6 million euros.

http://baloncesto.as.com/baloncesto/2012/12/29/acb/1356738369_408995.html

using google translate :)

it's rumored that his current salary is €1.2 million

3. basketballholic

Yes, that was his old contract extension that he signed in 2010. This was before his new 6-yr extension that he signed last August. From this article in July of last year before Llull signed his extension,

http://encestando.es/el-real-madrid...-base-del-equipo-estaria-atada-hasta-2015-16/

it appears to me that his buyout had fallen to the point and his salary was low enough where Real Madrid was worried about him walking away to the NBA. So they negotiated a new deal. In Clutch's post here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7169728&postcount=72

he points out that this new contract does not end his NBA opportunity until 2018. This makes me think his buyout must be more manageable that $6.5 million or at the very least slides down significantly year over year. And he's just finished the first year of that deal.

Perhaps Llull has a clause which lets him out of his deal if he wins the Euroleague???? That would make some sense. But I've not seen anything to indicate that either. Just putting together his huge desire to win Euroleague..probably spells a lot more money for him.

I would definitely like to see more up-to-date information on the terms of Llull's new buyout.

4. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

A €6M makes it even worse than the €5M buyout. That's going to be quiet a salary jump to go from €1.2M to over $10M per year for a guaranteed 4yrs in order to fit in the €6M buyout as a 15% signing bonus.

5. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Honestly, llull regret making all this effort to bring him over. Llull is a nice player, just not worth it imo.

1 person likes this.
  6. basketballholic

I suppose that is some sort of evidence. Although rather weak. And we're a year into that deal now.

I suppose I have a very difficult time believing a player would sign a long-term contract making 1.2 million euro allegedly with a 6 million euro buyout. Why would a player do that and lock themselves in for the prime of their career when they know the NBA wants them and the money is much greater?? 1.2 million euro is not very much.

So, I really don't put much stock into that reporter's Q&A. I'm not even for sure the translation is correct. And I'm not certain Llull really verified that the buyout is that high. He just said his contract is what he wanted it to be.

7. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

8. basketballholic

9. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

10. basketballholic

And Llull would not be wise to sign such contract.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

IMO there's no reason for the Rockets to sign Llull (already have 3 PGs and two of them are proven solid players), and there's no reason for Llull to sign with the Rockets (makes more in Europe). I think that ship has sailed, at least for now.

12. basketballholic

Orem, read the thread. we're discussing the possibility of signing Llull if Lin is no longer here.

13. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Basically, he was a free agent and given a choice to either come over to the NBA or to sign a long term contract commitment with Real Madrid. He chose Real Madrid with a new 2018 contract that he signed last year. Real Madrid put in the prohibitive buyout to make sure he stays.

It was his choice. NBA or Euro. He can only choose one. If he chose Europe, he had to commit to a prohibitive buyout. Otherwise, no reason for Real Madrid to give him a long term contract if he's going to bolt to the NBA.

He wanted to stay with Real Madrid till they won a championship. And he likes the culture over there. And there have been Euro's who were much admired in Europe who had disastrous experiences in the NBA. So it's not all upside. There's career risk as well to moving to the NBA instead of pursuing a lucrative and successful career overseas.

There are lots of Euro's who never choose to come over to the NBA despite the "more money." They can have lucrative and successful careers over there. Or come over and crash and burn and lose all their money. You probable make more money as a success in Europe rather than a failure in the NBA. Look at Pablo Prigioni who declined to come over despite repeated Knicks overtures during his prime till he was old and ready to retire.

Sergio Llull chose Europe, and now he's stuck with the prohibitive buyout till 2018. It's not that bad. He win a championship there and make lots of money, possibly more than in the NBA. Look at Starbury in China.

14. rokit

rokit Member

There's no salary cap in ACB league so the info on contracts is not widely available like it is in the NBA.

An interview with the man himself, published in As (a newspaper based in Madrid,and one of the best selling and most reputable sports newspapers in Spain) is as good as it gets.

Now, about the salary, like i've said before, it's a only a rumor, but bear in mind that European contracts are listed in the amount of money earned after the taxes are deducted, that €1.2 million salary would be equivalent to the $4 million NBA salary.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why do we Sergio Llull when...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>My time on the court is coming... there's only a handful of TRUE point guards at my size, try and list them. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ManHunt&amp;src=hash">#ManHunt</a>

<a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23CyclONEnation&amp;src=hash">#CyclONEnation</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/statuses/351072601566756865">June 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I am getting drunk I want to have 5 PGs for the team. The more the merrier. :grin:

17. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

How talented is Llull?

What are his ppg. and assists averages?

18. rokit

rokit Member

around 10 points and 3 assists, good defender,good 3 point shooter

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think he's going to make it.

20. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Isn't Angel our resident Llull / spain expert?