1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer will this last???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alston wasn't much of a threat last season, either. He's not a starter in this league. He's not a fit for Tmac and Yao. He was a mistake. They were better off letting James go for nothing.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

as a backup pf, i would take padgett over swift. i guess he left b/c he thought he wouldn't get any playing time (little did he know) and him playing now wouldn't be saving us, but i'd still take him over swift. that 3 ball is so damn valuable from the pf spot.

and of course you take james over alston. maybe we had to make the move b/c we would've lost james, but i haven't really seen anything* from alston that makes me think we couldn't have just spent the money on someone else who was better.

* to be fair, i've seen very little of this season. probably only 9 or 10 games. i've probably missed more games this year than i did the entire decade of the 90's, but some of the problems are fairly obvious even from a small amount of watching. with UT's football season going so great, i just couldn't get into the rockets (which i have never had trouble doing before) the way i can't get into the astros while the nba playoffs are going. and then with everything going to hell, i haven't had any real reason to get into them at this point. i hope they follow in the tradition of terrible houston teams of the past like the '02 rockets and '05 texans and tank like nobody's business and get the number 1 pick. not that i know who's really worth the #1, but it can't hurt.

actually, this season might be some sort of karmic punishment for the illegal amount of joy i derived from watching the UT football team and Vince Young this year. if i gotta put up with one horrendous, injuried-filled rockets season which could yield a nice pick for the future in exchange for a UT football title, i'll take it.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

LOL. Straight from the "My Name is Earl" school of karma.

It's not all about you. :p

4. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Believe me, I plunked a few grand into season tickets this year, so I have more than enough to raise my voice about.

Short handed Kings beat Phoenix last night.
    There goes your theory.

Chuck Hayes was not the answer I was looking for.

:(

5. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Shorthanded - they're missing Peja (who has been a nonentity this year), and Bonzi Wells. Who else?

6. Gummi Clutch

S. Abdur-Rahim
    Fractured mandible
    DNP

If you ask someone to name the top 5 players on the Kings, I assure you all 3 of those guys names will be mentioned. That is IF someone can name 5 players on the Kings. :p

7. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

Until the 2005-2006 season is over!!!! :mad:

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS THE WAY THIS SEASON HAS TURNED OUT!!! :eek:

WE'VE GONE FROM TITLE CONTENDER TO THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE IN A MATTER OF A FEW MONTHS, WOW!!!

AND TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, THERE IS NO "DUNCAN" OR "JAMES" IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT!!!

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, I BOUGHT LEAGUE PASS TO SEE ALL OF IT!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

We get it you are mad....click off the CAP LOCKS

10. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

we don't need a duncan or james. we need a stud 3rd option.

11. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Hate to beat a dead horse, but the Rockets went from one of the youngest teams (healthy) to one of the oldest (mondo injuries) overnight because of moves that the front office made.

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

It will last as long as it has and not a moment more.

13. GRENDEL

That horse was beat to death last year...no need to spit on the grave

14. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Why did we sign young guns anyway. The best bet would have been sign Elie-esque CBA players instead of Hayes, JL3, Graham. Baxter was a signing along those lines, hungry players that need a chance to shine, but are old enough to maintain their composure in the current Rocket's situation. Times like these, I really miss Rudy's insight. :(

15. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

Knee Jerk trades can get you into salary cap problems, like the Knicks, without draft picks, see us the last few years and again the Knicks. We are not an elite team this year. That is okay we were not last year. We have a team that is truely built upon the skills of two of our stars and niether one is in the line up. This tells me that our overall talent pool is lower. We knew this. We gave up three starters to get McGrady and Juwon and crap. We knew we were putting our eggs into one basket. We pay the price now.

So what do we do? Well if we continue at this pace we get a high draft pick. We might package that pick for someone. We might try and trade down a few spots, chicago has two picks and neither they nor the knicks look good. We might pick a Rudy Gay, Adam Morrison, LeMarcus Aldridge type. If T-mac and Yao come back healthy, we can maybe make the playoffs and be the team NO ONE, wants to play and maybe steal the series and win some games giving us confidence to compete for the west next year. The worst case senario is we win but miss the playoffs and get a middle of the road pick. Leaving us with little to chose from. There is talent in this draft especially at SF/SG, A big weakness of this team, but it will be in the top ten. Carney, Gay, Morrison, Brewer, Tucker, all would be gone by 14.

Thoughts?

16. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Forget about the draft, let's see how we can work the free agent market. The 2006 free agent market is far, far more interesting than the draft. And whereas tanking and feeding on the bottom for the rest of the season would help us as far as draft picks are concerned, it would actually hurt our chances of landing a valuable free agent. If we made a run for the playoffs, went on a hot streak and won a lot of games in the second half of the season, but miss the playoffs in the end, obviously we end up not getting a good draft pick. But then potential free agents would be much more inclined to sign with a team that is displaying signs of life than one that is hanging around with Atlanta and Charlotte at the bottom of the ladder.

17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

CAPS LOCK CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE MY FRUSTRATION AND DISAPOINTMENT!!!

18. GRENDEL

Like I said before, I think we get it, your not the only one that disappointed, so let's chill with the Cap Locks.

19. Gummi Clutch

Guys!!! I figured it out!!! The home record fits right in with my Free Big Mac Conspiracy!!! :mad:

He's to blame!!!!
    Dont worry I have the situation under control!!!
    [​IMG]

20. GRENDEL

That's hilarious!