1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer will this last???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 16, 2006.

1. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

You are making NOK happy man!

Now can you work that same magic for the Rockets? POOF! a REAL PF, A GREAT BACKUP SF, AND A TALL SG!

Jane Curtain: run on sentence about lean primo beef, real cheese and a whole wheat bun with sesame seeds on it, etc. plus a Coca-Cola.

Belushi: Cheeseburger, Pepsi!

Which interpreted means we can want Knight and Okafor but they play for the BOBCATS! We got the cheeseburger and Pepsi.

But, easy mistake - they used to be the Charlotte Hornets! :D

2. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

That is BS. What you have seen is not even our supporting cast as starters. Because even most of our supporting cast is hurt! We have some good role players, but they have been in and out of the lineup all season, (mostly out) and we won't know how good or bad this team is until late in the season.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

This season has to be one of the worst Rocket seasons I can remember. I am just glad that I didn't blow money on getting League Pass.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I second that.. Steves migraine season(s) were really bad for me to watch also..

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

How ong will this last? Possibly another 17 games, Rox 12:41, 29 GAMES LEFT TO PLAY , Rox season 32:50 , gets 1st pick in the draft , offseason rebuilds and wins Championship next season.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

You have a right to be wrong, but, I assure you, you are wrong. Chemistry is an issue, but talent is talent and the Rockets don't have enough of it to compete at a championship level. Despite injuries we have enough "samples of performance" to determine what most players can and cannot do. I have heard sportscasters on both Fox and ESPN say the same thing about the Rockets and I completely agree.

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Do you think that Ron Harper, Luc Longley, Toni Kukoc, and Steve Kerr win games as a starting unit? You must be crazy.

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I would just say it's just opinion, but there is evidence that you are very likely wrong, and the evidence is last year...and recall that many were saying the same thing early last season. Yet for the last 3 months last season we were winning at a championship rate (over 70%).

Who did we lose (permanently) from that team? James, Padgett, Baker, Weatherspoon. Who did we add? Alston, Swift, DA, Head. 'Talent is Talent', then compare.

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

All those teams would suck except the elite. Even S.A. would have problems competing with those teams. All those elite teams are stacked with Talent because of People riding good teams with the hopes they are hoping to be a parasite for the championship, I.E. Finley, Payton.

And if u look at our roster
    1. Tmac
    2. Yao
    3. Wesley
    4. Juwan
    5. Rafer
    6. Bobby Sura
    7. Stro
    8. Deke
    9. JB
    10. Derek Anderson
    11. Head
    12. Bowen
    13. Moochie
    14. Baxter
    15. Lucas

Take your 2 best players (tmac, Yao), ur 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, players off the bench and ur down to CBA allstars with Moochie and Company. Take the formula, of takin a teams Top 2 and probably their 6-9 spots and see if they win any games.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Lets see

Swift
    McGrady
    Yao
    Eddie G
    Shanden freaking Andersen

I'm tired of offseason victories.

I want me some wins.

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

At least a couple of those teams might have done SOMETHING other than pack in the season this quick.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, they may suck but I would bet that most of them would go .500 against the 6 worst teams in the league and the overwhelming majority would win at least one game under those circumstances. We have won NONE. We have proved we cannot beat anybody right now until something changes, either we get players back or we make a trade.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

:confused:

I like James MUCH better than Alston
    Padgett seems smarter and is a better shooter than Swift, but not nearly as athletic
    DA is never around to play anyway.
    Head is a rookie that needs time
    Baker doesn't count

The key is that Barry, Wesley, Deke, and Sura probably had their last BEST year, last year.

The Rockets MUST get younger and more athletic role players to go to the next level, which is prettly low at the present time.

Do you think that if we get back the injured players at this time, they are going to perform as well as at the end of last season? That is very unlikely. Most are older and slower AND hampered by the residual affects of their injuries. (Sura, Barry) Talent is not the talent you used to have, it is the talent you have now. Plus, IMO, James and Padgett are sorely missed.

Plus, it has been well established that the Rocket's "healthy" role players can't beat anybody.

#33 solid, Jan 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Jury is still out. Alston needs more time to play with our starting squad. We needed a PG, not a 2, and this year has been screwed up w/ injuries but last year Alston averaged almost 3 more APG than James.

Padgett seems smarter and is a better shooter than Swift, but not nearly as athletic

So? How many teams would take Padgett over Swift?

DA is never around to play anyway.

Nice retort.

:rolleyes:

Head is a rookie that needs time

Are you saying that he cannot have an impact on games?

Baker doesn't count

He was on the team.

The key is that Barry, Wesley, Deke, and Sura probably had their last BEST year, last year.

Peeeuuuure speculation. Barry hasn't played much, Wes has been forced to play point and ridiculous minutes, Deke still looks good but is having to play more minutes also, and who knows what Sura will do since he has not played at all.

The Rockets MUST get younger and more athletic role players to go to the next level, which is prettly low at the present time.

Sounds like the argument earlier last year, and they could not have done much more in the off season than what they did.

The Rockets must get healthy enough to be able to rest their veterans.

Do you think that if we get back the injured players at this time, they are going to perform as well as at the end of last season? That is very unlikely. Most are older and slower AND hampered by the residual affects of their injuries. (Sura, Barry) Talent is not the talent you used to have, it is the talent you have now. Plus, IMO, James and Padgett are sorely missed.

Again, pure speculation until the team gets back on the floor, and yes, just like 99% of everyone here and all of the sportwriters, I think this team has much more potential than last year's.

Although you focus on the negative effects of another year for some of our veterans, TMac and Yao have had another year together and to mature. Alston is more of a threat running the offense than James ever will be and I think that he'll be ready once everyone is healthy. It's still quite possible that DA will have flashes of brilliance. Sura added fire last year but was already hobbled in the playoffs.

Plus, it has been well established that the Rocket's "healthy" role players can't beat anybody.

You're not supposed to beat anybody when all you have is HALF of your role players.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have great ROLE PLAYERS. they play the ROLE of the LOSING TEAM.

16. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I totally agree with this excuse...er....statement, but the question is...this team is headed no where quick, in a downward spiraling nose dive. Are you telling me that absolutely nothing can be done? that we should come to accept this as fans paying hard earned money to watch the Rockets "limp" up and down the court and become the laughing stock of the NBA (even if it's un-deservingly so???). Im sure I'm not the only die hard Rockets fan who is absolutely sick and tired of being the butt of jokes about right now.

I mean if that's the case, fine by me. But if the Rockets dont make a move, I see it as we are tanking to become a better team next year. And really, I dont see anything wrong with that, but lets try not to act like nothing is wrong here and were helpless. Face it, McGrady has already been out with injuries 3 different times this year, we are 0-13 with out him, and this is even against some of the absolute worst teams in the league. Are we to expect that T-Mac as well as others are going to come back miraculously healed and lead this team to the playoffs with out any more injuries for the rest of the season?

All Im saying is that trades are on the table; Bibby, Peja, Artest, Spreewell, etc.. And I really wouldnt be mad if they pulled the trigger on any of those right now. I mean just show me something to let me know you feel like myself and that this type of performance is unacceptable no matter what.

The purpose of me making this post was:
    To me if we are going to make a move, the time is NOW. If we wait until closer to All Star Break or the trade deadline it looks like it's going to be way too late, and we should just hang onto our expiring contracts and look to get younger and more athletic next season.

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Really? ;)

18. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Alston, THE THREAT, and the great offense running by him were destroyed by Mike James and his Raptors this season.

All you can say at this point is how brilliant he will be when he plays with Yao and Tmac, as if they haven't done that this season, and how big a threat he will be when everyone is healthy. Like you said: it is pure speculation!

19. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

^well you know some people on this board dont read. I was just hoping to get that point across. :rolleyes:

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Your point came across exremely loud! :p