1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer before Ryan Mallet becomes the starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, Sep 28, 2014.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No kidding. I thought this was the thread from when we first got Mallet. Very strange that it was created yesterday.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

OK, let's say we bench Fitz immediately and start Mallett. How long would it be until we got the "How much longer before Tom Savage becomes the starter" thread?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Halftime of the first game, maybe sooner.

5. ima_drummer2k

Eh, I'd say after his first 3 and out.

Fitz is just supposed to be serviceable until another better option is available. So far, that's exactly what he's been.

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'm not saying mallett is going to be our franchise qb but I know he's better than mr. Three and out.

Hell, I'd take just about any decent qb over ryan Dunn.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You "know" that based on what?

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

all that experience mallet has... duuuuuh.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

Based on mallett or any other qb can't possibly do any worse than the bearded one.

Fitz has set the bar extremely low, it won't take much to surpass his production.

Worst case scenario, mallett throws a couple of picks and fumbles the ball, stalls the offense and throws under 200 yards, much like our current starting qb.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You clearly haven't been watching football long if you think that, there have been a TON of worse QB's than Fitz. Also, only one QB on our roster has thrown an interception to Shiloh Keo, which one do you think it is?

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Fitz has been what I thought he'd be. 86.2 passer rating and 55.4 QBR, indicating a little above average.

And thus far, compared to the other notable FA QBs, Cassell and McCown, it looks like the Texans made the right choice in Fitz.

12. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

A rookie in New England made Mallet expendable. He'd still be a Patriot if he were any good. If he ever takes a snap for the team then it means we're in a bad situation.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You do understand that after 4 games, Fitz has a YPA of over 8? YPA is one of the strongest indicators of success for a QB, more than completion percentage and QB rating.

That number puts him at 5th in the NFL. There are a thousand things that Im sure Fitzpatrick can do better, but he has been above average this season. I know you have this agenda against him, but it starts looking silly when he's clearly doing his job on the field.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Fitz hasn't been good, but he isn't awful. He's mediocre, which will give him the nod over Mallett.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

You rely too much in numbers. There's a reason why advanced analytics have not taken off in the nfl.

Use your eyes instead. Even obrien said Fitzpatricks production will not get the job done going forward.

I have said this before, I have nothing against Fitzpatrick. He is what he is, a below average qb. You got nothing to lose with mallett. He can't possibly be any worse.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You should probably use your eyes and actually watch the game yesterday. There was another QB on the field that played considerably worse than Fitzpatrick, so yes, Mallett could be worse.

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL at calling YPA "advanced analytics."

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

haha for real... at his pace YAC is einstein level ****

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

An upcoming contract made him expendable, I think with the receivers we have and Mallets big arm things could be interesting. Im not gonna discount the fact that O'B is grooming him for the right moment.

20. ima_drummer2k

It's Houston, which means the backup QB is the most popular player on the team.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I guess it's kind of understandable. We really haven't' had a truly great QB in this city since Warren Moon. And for a lot of posters here, that was literally a lifetime ago.