1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer are we going to pretend Clint Capela is a Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 4, 2017.

1. basketballholic

N
    Nope. Nope. Nope.

Adding even more weight to Capela's frame is only going to make him slower to react and more susceptible to stress injuries like he just had.

Capela is not built to be a tractor. Capela is a mindless deer. This is the Terrence _ones saga all over again. When the organization gave up on teaching Terrence to shoot they decided to pack weight on him and make him a true power guy. Didn't work. Terrence lost speed and explosion and got hurt multiple times.

Same thing with Clint. He does not have the frame and body to be carrying weight and be a power guy. We've already butchered his development. We should have been teaching him to shoot from day 1 and let him use his natural athleticism and quickness to switch defensively on the perimeter. Clint has never ever been good defensively at the 5. And he never will. But.....he has shown glimpses in the past of being a plus defender at the 4 alongside a defensive stopper like Dwight or Smoove at the 5. We are trying to make him something he can't be. We should have developed him as a 4 and worked with him for thousands of hours to turn him into an adequate to good shooter. Because he could have been a sensational defender at the 4.

We need to trade Capela to a team that thinks he's a 5 and they think like you do, that they can help him get stronger and become dominant in the middle. Because that's not going to happen.

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did I imagine Morey signing Beasley last season? Maybe I did, my imagination scares me sometimes, it's so vivid.

DonKnock and BigShasta like this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Whiteside dominated him, but Whiteside was a total scrub at 22 years old and was completely out of the NBA by the time he was 23. Not happy about the results last game...just offering perspective. Capela is light years ahead of where Hassan was at the same age. He is still developing as a player and he is getting better and better every year. He needs to get stronger for sure, but it's a process. He'll be fine. Just a matter of are they willing to wait or do they want to flip him for more of a now player.

DonKnock, kevtse and RudyTBag like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teaching Clint Capela to shoot and not getting him in the gym to work on his legs seems like an incredible waste of time. All you have to do is look at his free throws to know he will never, ever be a shooter.

Work with what you have. A quick, 6-10 235lb guy, with a wingspan that can finish at the rim. You can absolutely add lower body weight AND improve speed and quickness. And THAT is what should be done with Clint. His physical development is far more practical and developable than him magically learning to shoot perimeter jump shots which would be an amazing waste of time for any team.

Clint's frame will get larger as he becomes a man. He is 22. He needs to model himself after a guy like Tristan Thompson, who has never developed a jump shot but has been a complete beast in the weight room. Similar ability to switch on pick and rolls, defend in space, and finish as the roll man. Nearly identical height and reach.

MorningZippo and Asian Sensation like this.
  6. basketballholic

You can teach a guy to shoot free throws.

Signed,

Karl Malone
    Tim Duncan
    A host of others

7. dmoneybangbang

Capela needs to continue to build his core, not add 20 lbs of muscle.

Terrance Jones had a nerve injury and a bunch of injures not related to his weight..... And yet here 2017 TJones is still in the league and is an average role player.

Stop making stuff up.

Capela didn't grow up playing basketball, you don't teach a player like that to shoot first..... You teach him how to stay on the court.

Capela does switch out to the perimeter, however we don't switch on absolutely everything this year.

This is Capela's 3rd season and his first year starting.... You just look silly when you make absolute statements like the one in bolded....

Capela is fine where he is and Morey will move if need be.

8. basketballholic

Terrence is a bottom 100 player in the Association. If he doesn't change he'll be gone in a couple more seasons.

When he started lifting weights and bulking up he started getting hurt.

9. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Lol ****. I totally forgot about Beasley. On a side note, I guess he was looked at more favourably since he never quit on a team after signing a contract.

malakas likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Oh so you went from he will be out of the league after his Rookie contract to he'll be gone in a couple more seasons.

_holic gonna _holic

11. dmoneybangbang

He isn't bottom 100. There are 450 NBA players and TJones isn't bottom 100. By all means prove it.

All NBA players add weight and bulk from college. But hey.... how did bulking up cause a nerve injury?

12. basketballholic

No I did not. Another misquote by you. Look up what I said. It's out there. But don't misquote and distort what I said. #alternatefacts

BigShasta likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not signed,

The overwhelming majority...

Pen15clubber and Asian Sensation like this.
  14. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I hate to admit it because just a couple of months ago i was singing capelas praises but until he develops some more strength and increases his stamina he is not good enough to be the defensive big that we need.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nerlens Noel or Larry Sanders. Just pick one Morri and get it done.

DonKnock and BigShasta like this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Capela has been scary bad since his return from injury. He is getting pushed around by basically every center in the league, and he isn't changing much at the rim. Nene has actually been pretty awesome, but we can't count on him for more than 20 minutes or so.

At this point, I think we need a real NBA center to pair with Nene, and I don't think Capela is cutting it. If we traded him, I wouldn't be at all disappointed.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont doubt the kid hes second best player on rockets...capela is special

DonKnock likes this.
  18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Because if one person learned how to shoot, it means they CAN all learn, equally fast! Never mind all the players that didn't learn, and put in tons of wasted work on a skill that most need to develop at a young age.

But hey, if you completely ignore everything that disagrees with you, the world starts making ALOT of sense :)

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bbhollic is such a joke these days

DonKnock and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  20. rockpileindisma

Lmfaooooo!!!! Did jopatahollic just restart the "Tjones will be out of the league in..." Timer!?!? Legendary all star break!

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.