1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer are we going to pretend Clint Capela is a Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Capela's not getting it done enough on defense.

It seems the injury took some zest out of Capela, not gonna say its all just him. Whatever the reason, need more out of him or at that position DEFENSIVELY.

2. Mr. Motiejunas

We need a real big.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DonKnock and No Chill Rocket like this.
  4. basketballholic

Ummmmm, Capela was just as bad defensively before his injury. Tonight Miami was 25/32 in the paint. We were 21/43. Not only can we not defend the paint but we can't finish in the paint efficiently either.

Capela/Anderson are a total defensive disaster and have been all season. Just a dreadful defensive combo.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. raining threes

I wonder if Capela/Dekker/1st/filler would be enough to get a big like Boogie?

Nemospl likes this.
  7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Rockets defense has actually been better than their offense past 4 weeks. Stats actually show Capela has been decent in February if not very good. But I know thats misleading. I think its the opposite, started out strong and been hit and miss of late

Its not every game, its certain matchups expose the Rockets interior. Ive said regardless of small ball and stretch effectiveness that size and length mismatch is still one of the easier things to exploit, if the other team is willing to do it.

Agree Anderson and Capela are not good together defensively. Its too bad Anderson the worst defending pf in the NBA has to make Capela movable to cover his weaknesses, its not all Capela's fault. But its just how it goes.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But he was supposed to be the next Hakeem?

9. buffalobills!!!

Ryan Anderson sucks

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I seriously doubt it.

D-rock and douglasreedy1 like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Capela is so weak defensively it is frustrating. Just no "force." Capela looks the part, but even his shot blocking isn't all that great.
    Also tired of Capela's weak play at the rim. He does fine with the lobs, but the bunny misses or the times there is contact down there he just falls apart.

DonKnock, heypartner and D-rock like this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. He is just not ready yet. I don't know if he just needs to get bigger or meaner... maybe both but he is obviously not ready yet. Maybe what this team needs is a Mario Elie to teach some toughness and Heart.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Should have had him play PG defensively last night once Bev went down. I'd rather have Clint doing it than Brewer.

14. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Boogie will cost something unreasonable, 2 1sts, Dekker, Brewer, Harrell, KJ (salaries) and even still Boston has so many assets they can actually put together a better package. Boogie is going to stay in Sacramento, it's way too much money for him to leave on the table. It's really just an insane amount of money. We need a center but Boogie doesn't fit the bill. Boogie is a focal point of the offense for SacTown, we dont need that.

We need a grunt to do the dirty work. A Whiteside or Jordan type would be ideal. Drummond is probably a great fit considering his skillset. Legit 7ft and can finish, obviously cant hit FTs. But why pay all that? I'd take Nogueira or Noel. Much cheaper cost and rookie contracts. Even Bogut, who I hate, if he got a buyout. Kyle O'Quinn from NY would be a good fit but I like 7 foot centers personally. Boban from Detroit could do.

Lots of value at the 5 that wouldn't gut the team. Just rebound, anchor defense and run pick n roll.

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

If you look at our best lineups on NBA.com, the center is either Nene or Harrell.

Capela really shouldn't be starting over Nene. On/off court numbers favor Nene rather significantly, and he's not even a starter.

basketballholic likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A fine post. Boban would be a nice fit, since Drummond is unlikely to be moved, but it will be hard to get him.

kwakmeister likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are we interested in Larry Sanders yet?

DonKnock likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Clint seems definitely too weak in some situations, no question. He has still work to do, if we don't want (or we just cannot) make a trade for a great center, we have just to let him work and develop, he needs time...but i would not put too much blame on him, the defense of this team overall dropped off a lot in January, even Pat and Trevor are not looking as good as they were a month and a half ago, and the results are pretty clear.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

22 year old Clint needs another offseason or two of weight training.

I will throw a positive in here to balance out all the hate. Have you seen his developing jump hook lately? WOW. He is really adding some skill in those hands. I really hope he pumps some more iron this offseason because he has no chance of developing as a PF. He needs to get up to a nasty 250lbs so he can throw some guys around. He is your pro-typical late bloomer that is getting valuable experience right now.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Morey's not about to go after another mentally unstable pothead.