1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How much longer are we going to pretend Clint Capela is a Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Was gonna mention the injury. Gotta lessen some expectations on post-injury play. Just because a player comes BACK from injury, even if they dont feel pain it does NOT mean that they're ALL the way back.

It doesnt mean that poor play after injury IS the INJURY'S fault. But athlete's tend to come back too quick before the body sets itself back, and its bound to show some effect in peformance.

I think this is a very key year in Capela's maturation. As much as he needs to polish his skills, he needs to keep growing into his own as a person to develop a more "take charge" mindset. Right now he's that decent guy that shows up to work, has good employeee values. But doesnt quite yet have that OWNERSHIP of his position. Even an immature young guy like Nerlens Noel is "adamant" about what he does. Its how Hassan Whiteside went from being an unfocused punk to imposing his way into a star. Capela needs a litte more of that.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A very good post. I still believe that he will have ups and downs, especially when the game gets physical. I don't think he was physically and mentally ready after the injury. It's good to see him gaining in confidence, but I feel Harrell should also be getting minutes too, when Capela and Ryan are struggling, along with the fantastic Nene.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Sanity2disChaos

There is no "bulldog " in his game, which is the only thing that separates him from the likes of d. Jordan, etc.

Deuce, D-rock, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  4. saleem

His lack of development in Europe probably has something to do with it, as well as his mentality, as you have pointed out.
    I wonder how good he would have been if he had one year of NCAA experience.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. A whole lot of bulldog bigs coming out of Europe these days. Plenty of soft flunkies coming from the NCAA.

6. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

yall think zack randolph can be a good back up center?

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I want Harrell getting minutes too. But then I've wanted ALL the guys on the team to get more minutes (except for Nanu & Brown. More Harrell, Wiltjer, KJ, even Ennis). I dont agree with D'Antoni's short set rotations. I don't like running starters into the ground. Then players like KJ are a little past D-league and needed in-game preparedness. Only Wiltjer and Nanu benefit from D-league, but then Wiltjer fits the Ryno role almost perfect, why not get him some NBA looks. But oh well.
    Yeah "Bulldog", there we go with simple term to describe it lol.

In Hakeem's teaching to players, what I noticed most was less the skills lessons, its how Hakeem urged players to DOMINATE. He said words like 'dominate' many times, he just oozed COMMAND out of pores like nothing with a child-like glee. Its like the skills will get you an advantage, but your DUTY is to PATROL the paint like a boss with skills added. Capela has made strides there. He isnt a wuss, HE PUSHED his way onto the team instead of stay in Europe. So that shows some drive to me.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. valorita

valorita Member

How much longer are we going to pretend that Capella is a singer?

9. varughese.arun

This thread is no longer valid

10. saleem

He was very raw when he came to the D-League. He became good enough to make to make an impact in the playoffs. He isn't skilled enough, still has a lot to learn. Perhaps a year or two, of NCAA basketball would have accelerated his development.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Who is giving us more value? Clint or Ryan? Dude made a Harden like 8 out of 10 free throws because they thought he was the weak link. He rebounds, sets picks for all 3 point shooters, plays decent D, and rebounds. He looks nice

12. varughese.arun

Those who do not believe in Capella fail to understand how rare it is to have a 22 yro professional. Even Hakeem the dream Olajuwon has addressed the potential of this kid. THIS GUY IS 22 YEARS OLD! I would be surprised if the person who made this thread ( @Snow Villiers ) is not older than Capella. This guy shows up to every game. He is one of the main reasons that Harden averages 11 assists per game. Everyone he plays against is older than him, and has more experience than him at the center possition. Compared to Dwight Howard, Capella has the hands of God. He is catching RIDICULOUS passes from Harden. Dwight Howard would not be able to catch and convert the passes that Capella does.

DID I MENTION THAT HE IS 22 YEARS OLD!???!

It's a shame that Capella is playing at this level, damn near every game, and has to put up with ppl from his own city not believing in him.

Remove this thread.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I rather Capela came from Europe, he doesn't have "alpha/bulldog" mentality. He's hardworking, has great hands, and is willing to improve. Also he doesn't care how he gets dem points, as long as he's winning. No ego, u see dem centers from USA, oozing with ego.

Granted where you come from doesn't characterize u, but I say playing from Europe made Capela who he is.

14. threepointshot3

Anyone notice how Lou Williams has developed a nice little chemistry with Clint and has found him for a few nice little easy ally oops?

Pen15clubber and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

'obsolete' is the word you are looking for

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I applaud sir, this is what i call a bulldog post!

douglasreedy1 likes this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

cool but what does poster's age have to do with his opinion on a player? Are you saying only those younger than the player can criticize him?

Anyway, works for me. I'm 12 so I can freely post.

18. varughese.arun

I was just trying to emphasize how young capella is. Maybe my point did not come across that well. My bad

#218 varughese.arun, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    douglasreedy1 likes this.
  19. varughese.arun

Ha...Yes yes... obsolete. Thank you

20. basketballholic

You're talking about his greatest strength, his hands. If the whole game were just an offensive series of pick and rolls he might be a hall of famer. But it's not.

What about the rest of his game?