1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much hate do Muslims deal with?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 7, 2015.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why would that matter? I thought we were talking about who receives the most hate?

you can tell me if you wish (you are the one who expressed concern about your families immigration), but if you do then you should also tell me why it matters.

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Interesting that the opinions of the people who oppose OP's point basically boil down to:

- Jews get more hate (who is denying this??)
    - Muslim hate in America is minimal
    - Muslims deserve it
    - Muslim's AREN'T being discriminated against (aka Muslims are treated "fine")

.... all of these either suggest or outright say that hatred against Muslims is justified. I would say this type of thinking is scary and refer to instances in history where it has led to dangerous and sad moments. But honestly, is there changing anyone's mind at this point?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. tallanvor

3 out of 4 of the things you posted don't say/suggest that.

- Jews get more hate (who is denying this??)
    - Muslim hate in America is minimal
    - Muslim's AREN'T being discriminated against (aka Muslims are treated "fine")

also, 2 are the same.

#84 tallanvor, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Damn...I must be imaging all those dirty looks every time there is a terrorist attack. After the Paris attack I was at a local HEB in Houston. One old Caucasian guy would wouldn't stop staring at me. Kept following me too. Finally, just as I was going to ask him if there is a problem, his wife came up to him and said something in French and they walked away.

And yes I know to keep things in perspective. I get dirty looks...for now...which I can handle just fine. Sure others have endured much worse.

And that right there is also the reason American Muslims (at least the ones I know) despise AQ and ISIS. They don't represent us, but we are judged based on the way we look. And I don't even dress in Islamic gear. Hate to imagine what those guys are going through.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7-10 million Jews, under 3 million Muslims.

Also Muslims underreport hate crimes as they are suspicious of the police.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I would say making these statements in and of itself (especially without any factual data for the later 3) demonstrate an anti-Muslim bias.

To say that hate for Muslims is minimal in this country is ridiculous. Just go onto Youtube or a FB post related to any terrorist attack and read the comments.

8. tallanvor

Maybe you are. Everyone loves being a victim. African Americans scream they get tons of hate (to be fair, according to FBI hate crime stats, they get more than Muslims). Homosexuals scream they get tons of hate. Tansgender folks scream they get tons of hate. Rockets fans scream they get tons of hate. Everyones a victim.......:rolleyes:

Except the stats say otherwise.

I get dirty looks all the time for no reason. I get ******* responses from people all the time for no reason. I don't assume its my ethnicity or anything to do with me. It happens. get over it you special little snowflake.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It must be 'percieved hatred' when I hear my former peers desire genocide of Muslims openly in front of me or on social media.

Dirty looks have nothing to do with it. Actual tangible hate rhetoric of Muslims is easy to find.

And yes, banning a religious group is hate rhetoric. I can't believe you actually believe otherwise. When Trump nut huggers CHEER when they heard Trump's asinine policy, why do you think they were cheering? The scary part is, Trump support is a sizable portion of the American citizenry. Its enough for him to be the leading candidate if one of the two parties in this country.

10. tallanvor

im gonna call bull****.

11. fchowd0311

Bull**** on what? That a portion of my Marine infantry peers have verbelly stated that they are perfectly fine with and willing to commit genocide of Muslims? I'm not going to file a lawsuit against those I served with.

I'm not willing to share personal information of others, especially those who trust me. But I'm willing to post the countless posts I see on my Facebook news feed from many of my former peers who propgate that type of rhetoric and I'll just blur out their names and photos. I'll do it in the evening. Have class soon. That's just the social media aspect.

I live in the Northeast. Several of those I served with who were in my platoon and company live in the region. So I visit them every couple of months. When I visit them I often mesh with their extended family and friends since when I visit I stay for more than a day. They actually have to EXPLICTLY state to their family and friends that I'm an ex-Muslim so they feel comfortable around me. Unfortunatly some if them can't place two and two together and realize that even though I am an ex-Muslim, my family that I still hold very dear are still Muslim. When they hear I'm ex-Muslim, their eyes light up as they feel like they are cleared to speak verbally out loud of their hate rhetoric of Muslims. I had some rather uncomfortable evenings because of this. I've hung enough around conservative groups in various states to make a definite conclusion that hate rhetoric of Muslims amongst the right wing is very real and tangible.

#91 fchowd0311, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  12. tallanvor

I call bull**** that your peers called for genocide of Muslims. I think you read what u want to read. I think someone sneezes on you and you think they want genocide of Muslims.

13. fchowd0311

I really don't know what to say. When half my news feed is about soaking 5.56 ammo in pigs blood or turning the Middle East to glass I don't know how I'm translating a sneeze with genocide.

14. Buck Turgidson

You run into an ******* in the morning, hey, he's an *******. You run into assholes all day, you're the *******.

1 person likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I have to ask....is your life really so ****ty? The CF base can help, but you have to ask for it.

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol what is your problem? Just going on a rampage calling a guy a liar with no reasoning behind it? You sound like a cool guy to be around :rolleyes:

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Equating discrimination and being the target of hate to be a Rockets fan either shows a complete level of ignorance or an unspoken hatred for all whom are not white.

Sounds like both. I guess this is how racists exist amongst us and rationalism their views.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The dude served and has a purple heart to show for it. The reason he had to take a pic of it is because some low life (like you) said he wouldn't trust him even though he served and put his life on the line for his country, because he was muslim (at the time). At the very least show some respect over that. What have you done, sit on your ass all day and beg for wars, while attacking those that fight for you?

1 person likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's what I think is part of the problem.

A large majority of people are not familiar with Muslims or Islam in any real personal level. The images they have of Muslims from television, films, and news media is primarily that of a terrorist who can't wait to destroy innocents and put an end to the United States while crushing freedom at every step.

Then a Muslim extremist terrorist attacks and it's all over the news. At the same time in an effort to appear fair, the news media will show a Muslim claiming they aren't all like that, and then some non-muslims talking about the same thing.

So of course the people who have been bombarded with all of the images and projections of Jihad Johnny terrorist Muslim, think the single representative Muslim that's brought out only after a huge tragedy committed by Muslims, and those that listen to the single Muslim saying Muslims aren't all like that, think everyone is being naive who isn't distrustful (at the least) of Muslims.

There were no positive stories, even balanced stories before that allowing folks to lose their ignorance at least a little bit.

Meanwhile Muslims see the different subtleties amongst all of the Muslims, and understand that these terrorists and their activities aren't in any way connected to what they believe. They don't see any need to put forward a better image of Muslims, or constantly denounce Islamic terrorism, because they understand it isn't in any way related to who they are.

Add to that the fact that significant number of non-terrorist Muslims have beliefs that oppressive, and unenlightened to say the least. Terrorist Muslims have those beliefs plus more.

So the outsider will lump the everyone into the same group.

Meanwhile others that see things somewhat more rationally won't call out Muslims for the beliefs that are oppressive because they want to separate themselves from those that group all Muslims into the same dangerous, sneaky, group.

The Muslim-Haters see these people not willing to criticize the oppressive beliefs of Muslims and write them off as blinded, hypocritical, and even more naive.

What I wish would happen is that everyone would just be honest. Most Muslims are not terrorists. They are usually the victims of terrorism. They should get sympathy and support for that fact even if they have some oppressive beliefs. The Syrian immigrants have to be vetted, they have to wait @ one year and hope to be selected to come to the U.S. Their homes, and livelihoods have been destroyed by ISIS who is the enemy of us all. Sneaking into that group, being vetted, and hoping to be selected after a year isn't the most efficient way for any terrorist to sneak into the U.S.

Too bad some people are so filled with ignorance and hatred that they can't welcome and support these middle-classed educated immigrants who have suffered more than they ever will at the hands of terrorism. These are people who could help the economy, and even possibly our fight against ISIS.

It's all a shame that people's fear and ignorance creates more victims.

20. fchowd0311

I think you emphasize an important point.

I think that is a large reason why many of my former peers have rather disgusting views of Muslims mainly because their only interaction with Islamic culture was Afghanistan.