1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much hate do Muslims deal with?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 7, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

1) The Gallup polls are questionable, look at the Saudi funding for them.
    2) Not everything displayed in these polls is prejudice. It's not prejudice if it is based on fact.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Honestly, I just posted the polls for discussion purposes. I haven't agreed with much (if anything) the OP has said.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.lahumanrelations.org/hatecrime/reports/2013_hateCrimeReport.pdf

24-28 times - I was rounding.

And more interesting is this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...-but-for-muslim-victims-its-especially-tough/

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

If they really want to target a problematic group in this country, they should go after white males- they cause way more problems in this country than Muslims, by far. Make every white male pledge to denounce their race and gender every time a Lanza, Holmes, Whitman, etc. go on a ****ing rampage.

As a white male, I hereby pledge to do so. I am going to publicly denounce my race and gender whenever one of mine commits a heinous act. I am going to explain that white males, as a whole, are decent people. That the acts of a few do not speak for the majority of us. That I am willing to be profiled, searched twice at airports, have black people and Native Americans come up and cuss at me, and carry a Caucasian Male card with me.

And if there's a database for white males, I'm all for it. Put us all in a database. Wiretap my house. Conduct surveillance on my White Male Bonding Association (WMBA) clubhouse. Make me take a pledge that I will be allegiant to the U.S. and that I will report any suspicious white male activity.

Let the harassment begin.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Sweet Lou- of course they do. These posters don't know ****. By circumstance, my 2 best friends are from Iran- we worked at Mr. Gatti's in Houston together for several years in the 80s. And we've been close ever since. And we share both white and Middle Eastern friends, several of whom are Muslim. OF COURSE THEY GET HARASSED! Heck, my friend doesn't have a beard, doesn't wear any clothes that would identify him as Muslim, and he still has to deal with this ****- especially recently. These people that don't think it exists are dumbass ostrich-head-in-the-sand assholes.

Yet, you know what they think, "Well, it's their fault for being Muslim." It's exactly what a lot of whites used to say about black people. They'll come up with every bull**** statement- "they should go back to where they came"- yeah, even the ones who were born in America- "they should denounce what these terrorists did..." - which they do- ad nauseum- they just don't want to admit that, deep down, they just don't like Middle Eastern people.

It's OK- I have several relatives in NYC who are ultra-prejudiced against Muslims and people from the Middle East. You just feel sad for their hatred, nothing else you can do. Educating them doesn't work.

1 person likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think the hostility that Lou is met with is a testament to the fact. Its almost as if they were trying to prove his point.

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Let me get this right. In your mind Atw and guy who posted the Cairo vid, do you guys believe this hostility comes because they are just Muslim? There is absoloutely no reason(s) for this kind of behavior they show?

You people think this entire thing started post 2001, that these people have nothing better to do than blow up America...

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

People are trying to paint the problem with Islam itself. But radical Islam came much later (from wikipedia):

You think about it and we really had a direct hand in creating this radicalized violent jihadi form of Islam that we are now fighting against. You can trace every jihadist back to the mid-20th century and US/British active efforts. Every single mosque. We truly unleashed this virus.

Now you get some kid at 18 who is exposed to hate and harassment, or treated differently, and they get exposed to this virulent form of Islam from people who are seeking to brainwash them into their movement and that's the core of the problem.

What I see is an acceleration of the growth in radical Islam. It's like we planted the seed and it's now growing out of control. People want to say the issue is with Islam but it's actually with this virulent form of Islam and the more it spreads the more the West reinforces.

Think about it, it's not middle aged Muslims who join ISIS. It's younger ones who are aware enough to experience harassment, feel angry and confused as most young people do, and are thus easily manipulated by radicals into thinking all their problems come from the West. Imagine how it works - you take some kid and treat them well, and come across as open-minded and just wanting freedom. You butter them up and play nice, not coming across as radical at all, then you show them all the images of bloody children and women In Palestine and from collateral damage from western military activities and feed into the sense of injustice. You create a one-sided narrative and soon you can brainwash them into killing robots.

That's what is happening.

We need to stop attacking Muslims and start attacking these radicals. But if we continue to demonize Muslims we are only helping the radicals make their jobs of spreading their sick ideas easier.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Guy wearing a fake beard that I can see from here going around trying to be accepted as normal. Seems to be stumbling over his speech too.

Get some standards.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

FBI hate crime stats show Jews are the greatest victims (though rly nobody is in this country). Muslims not even close. I wonder which group hates the Jews?

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

In the history of the world? Probably.

In modern society? Not a chance.

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

Why is this argument always brought up? It's just lazy, nobody should be discriminated against if they are law-abiding citizens. Are you trying to argue that because Jewish people are discriminated against that it doesn't matter if Muslims are? I'd be interested in where your data is coming from, my guess is there has been a huge recent uptick in hatred towards Muslims in the U.S. due to both ISIS and Trump.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is no problem with being concerned about the irrational hatred and fear of Muslims and also wanting to do something about Islamic terrorism.

Both are possible.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

How much hate do Muslims deal with internally? Well, it depends on the Muslim, obviously. But clearly there are a pretty large number that are obsessed with it. Some to the point of being literally consumed by it. This couple of radical Islamic killers in San Bernadino are an good example of this.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

May I ask why? Could it just be one branch of Islam that you grew up with?

16. R0ckets03

But does that mean that hate crimes against Muslims should be tolerated? I don't think anyone is claiming that Muslims don't discriminate against Jews (or put any race/religion vs any other race/religion) in 3rd world countries.

But a country like ours should be held to a higher standard perhaps?

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's very strange that when this issue is raised the response is to dismiss it, and most of the ones who are dismissing in this thread (actually all of them) are the ones who are most vocally anti-Muslim.

18. R0ckets03

Growing up in a suburb outside of Houston, I was pretty homophobic. I had never dealt with any gays growing up and therefore had these preconceived notions about them. Upon moving into the city and working I had to start interacting with a lot of them on a daily basis. You come to realize that you can't fit a large group of people into this narrow scope/stereotype you may have about them. You realize that they really are no different then you and I.

Maybe the people whose only interaction with Muslims is the news (particularly Fox News) and politicians preaching hatred, well no wonder they want to lump all kinds of Muslims together.

3 of the 4 biggest Muslim countries aren't even in the Middle East. Indonesia, India, Bangladesh. Pakistan is not really Middle East, albeit a ****hole.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is pretty much every race issue in America. One part of the country just wants to believe that it doesn't exist, wants to dismiss it, ignore it, and are content with it.

The arguments against your post are very telling. It's as if they are arguing on the basis that all Muslims are responsible for terrorism.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are completely wrong. If you go by per-capita attacks not committed by people from the same overall religion (because Muslims would win by a landslide in that one, too), then Jews are certainly much more often the victim of hate crimes than Muslims. And yes, the perpetrators are usually Muslims.

You must have never been to France.