1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much do you pay for cable and internet? What package?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Senator, Feb 29, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's really nice, I'm hoping I can eventually get symmetrical for hosting... While my down is awesome - 480, ul is 25..

RedRedemption likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well the Mrs and I are millenials and the kids are whatever Gen comes after Gen Z (Gen Alpha??). So we have avoided the YouTube issue.

I'm hoping that Gen will learn from the internet-stupidity of millenials and Z. Best case scenario is they view social media etc as an "old person thing" and rebel by actually engaging with people in real life. This is my hope.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cancelled cable. Pay $45 for about 110-120 MBPS - Comcast

I share a FuboTV account with two other people ($20 each monthly).

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

$60 - 400 down, 200 up. Pisses me off that the same plan is offered to new customers for $40

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

How many tvs is this package for? Just one?

I have three tvs in my home.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, even though Gooble Fiber is dying, them propping up the ISP market and forcing competition was the best thing that happened to Austin.

AT&T also offers symmetrical gigabit.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, man... I'm so close on the line.... At&t is like within a mile... But unfortunately I only get spectrum for gig/50 up or ATT - 50 mbit atm. Grande is close too, I'm in north Austin/RR line... As soon as at&t comes I'm switching (I mean I hope they are), obviously a lot of users don't need the up, but if you have it you can do all kinds things.

RedRedemption likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Probably hopeful thinking at best, short of the internet disappearing, all the next gen is going to do is move to a platform the Olds aren't on. Obviously you'll have outliers but if you're right, great!

9. SuraGotMadHops

I'm on a promotional rate with comcast - $150 per month for both cable and internet. Like many others, only reason I have cable at all is to watch Rockets and Astros.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Spectrum: 59.99 for 100/10 internet.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm paying $140 for 250 internet with Xfinity. The deal was actually for $65 + gateway but since we stream Fubo/Netflix for our tv (with 2 kids), we kept going over the 1tb data limit and I added the $50 unlimited plan. Wish there was a way to get around that (other than watching less tv...which we probably should).

12. Buck Turgidson

What's your opinion/experience (reliability, customer svc, etc...) with Spectrum? You have cable too or just internet?

eta: they moved into Marble Falls a year or so ago and I have been seriously considering switching at the house in town.

Do you do use internet streaming services with it?

#32 Buck Turgidson, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I want in on that deal. I'm paying $74.99 for 200/? Spectrum internet. It used to be 100 download but I think they upgraded to 150 and then 200 Mbps at "no cost" supposedly. I know they recently raised the rate $5 out of the blue.

I called them a while back to ask if they had a lower plan and they told me they did not. I guess I need to call them back.

Is that a one year initial new customer discount rate offer you're on?

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

$140 (before the bullshit fees) for 1000mbs w/ Comcast. I recently had to tack on their no data cap for an extra $30/mo. Also get a cable box, Roku channel, online DVR, and they kick in $15/mo for Netflix (to which I added 4k for extra devices for an extra $4)

ATT is laying fiber in my hood right now. Can't wait for the price wars.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If they are laying new lines out, the service should be good. If they bought out the local cable company, they could be plagued with old tech.

Ive had them for about 4 years. Just internet. Rarely an outage. Ive had some customer service issues, mainly an old account wasn't properly disconnected and continued to autobill for a couple months but it took some time for them to clean it up. I stream and game w/out any problems at all. We have it at our office and no problems there either.

Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. My promo expired and jumped up to 69.99. Then it automatically changed plans and put me on the 200/10 plan for 74.99. ATT has just been in the neighborhood pushing FTTH and 1GB rates cheaper than that. I called up and was very frank. I told them ATT's offer and I wasn't really that interested in ATT's offer but considering it due to rate increases. I told them I would be happy to stay with them if they could get me back to my existing pricing of 59.99. Retention lady said no problem.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

$40 for unlimited at 100mbs with AT&T

I remember paying 50 for 5mbs 10 years ago, this is much better

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Check your address on their website logged out - as a new customer (there's an option to say moving to address or something)

If it's a better rate - use someone else in your household for a new account (probably cancel 1st) but it'll put you back at promo rates. I'm getting 400/25 for $65 swapping between me and my wife - I don't know if you eventually don't count as a new customer, but we'd basically go to their store - return old equipment and she'd pick up new same time, it's a pain but I think 200 would probably be $45.

Other option is to call and state you're canceling and you want their retentions department - usually that'll work w/ you once you say you're canceling (it can take a few calls). It'll save the trip to do the swap/going to the store. We did that last year vs the swap acct mess.

BamBam likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

New customers always get better deals while existing customers get their rates jacked up. If you can switch to somebody else, you probably should. I switched to Spectrum back around August of last year, I think. I'm on their 400/20 or whatever plan (which I don't really need) for something like $60 or $65. I'm usually getting around 465/23, I think. I signed up for 2 years because there's really nothing faster in the area and I didn't want them jacking up the rate after a year or something. I'm hoping by then AT&T or somebody will expand to my neighborhood. It's silly because there are people in my neighborhood or just around the corner from it who have Internet from other providers that I can't get. lol. AT&T Gigabit is all around me -- just not here on my street/section of the neighborhood.

For "cable", I've stuck with YouTube TV and Philo and just added CBS All Access a few weeks ago for a year since they had a coupon.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

As a long time Charter customer (over 20 years), I wasn't able to get my rate down after going through the whole "I'll switch" charade. They were firm on $74.99 and I'm on the minimum plan available in my area at 200/10. She said that even if I were able to get 100/10...then I would still pay $74.99.

So, no dice for me. They didn't care if I switched. Basically, I was given the option to bundle. If I were to bundle with cable, then I might save $20 - $30 a month for that first year before the rate goes back up to normal pricing. It's that whole $44.99 bundle price for internet/cable deal they bombard existing customers with...of which the cable is actually around $90 a month after you count the fees and hardware monthly costs for multiple TVs.

#39 Surfguy, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  20. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I use Comcast cable and internets. I overpay.

The pr0n streams flawlessly. I happy.