1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much do each of our players deserve in Salary?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pradaxpimp, Aug 4, 2003.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Francis has done nothing to deserve the max. The whole team is grossly overpaid. The salaries of Hollywood "stars," most CEO's, and NBA players are CRIMINAL. Our culture needs a HUGE values correction.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's a whole different thread, its all relative. Does any athlete deserve millions of dollars, probably not, but the fact is when you have a specialized skill, that people will pay a lot of money for, then you make a lot of money. Simple economics and capitalism.

There are plenty players who you can say don't deserve the max. Does McGrady deserve the max, does Garnett, they clearly can't win championships by themselves, but they are two of the probably top 5 players in the league, so they will get the max. Francis is a top 15 player in a league with 29 teams, he's gonna get the max.

3. Just B

Just B Member

You can't even say Francis doesn't deserve the Max. A couple years ago this guy led the team in EVERY major stat category (pts, steals, rebounds and assists) and even now he's at least in the top 2 in all those. Like him or not, the guy IS our team, and like JuanValdez said, plenty of teams would jump at the chance to pay him the max salary.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Are you high or are you just Moochie himself?

5. solid

Give any second tier player in the league as much control of the ball, as many shots, as much time and, I promise you, many would match his stats. I would love to see Francis go on the open market; I bet you would be surprised at the response. He has benefited from marketing and PR hype. His deficits are well known in the league. He is no McGrady or Garnett. I would rather have the Spur's Parker. Again, NBA players are all overpaid. Policemen, Firemen, Soldiers, and Teachers are worth much more to the society.

6. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Van Horn, Allan Houston, Webber and Duncan all earn MAX. As I said in an earlier post, we have to set the benchmark first. Webber can be overpaid if you set Duncan as the benchmark (making the max) or webber would also be underpaid if Van Horn is the benchmark. As other posters said, it's all relative. There wont be any meaningful discussion if we dont have an agreed benchmark.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You lost all creditability with this statement.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

And to think, I used to respect all senior members...:(

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please.

Gilbert Arenas, whose numbers were similar to a rookie Steve Francis, just got 6 years, 60 million.

You were saying?

Steve gets the max on the open market, no ifs, ands, or buts.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

maybe he meant the "open market" insofar as trades are concerned. in that case, i could understand what he's saying. steve would not command the trade value of a tmac, kobe, shaq, duncan, webber, dirk, or garnett.

if he didn't mean that, forget about it.

11. Just B

Just B Member

He wouldn't get as much as those guys, but Steve's definitely in the top 10-15 most wanted players in the league. Maybe you guys don't realize cause most of you live in Houston, but there are a hell of a lot of teams that would KILL for a player like Francis. From reading other message boards, and just listening to people on the streets, fans from other teams seem to see how much this guy's worth. How come Rockets fans can't?:confused:

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

top 15? i can go for that. i just think he was implying that steve is not in the echelon of the type of players i mentioned in my post. personally, i feel he (marketwise) is right below those players....probably in the same group as vince carter (high end) and baron davis (low end).

13. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

...exactly, and the team sucks and suffers as a reslut. END OF STORY! He has to make HUGE changes to his game to deserve that money and frankly to deserve being talked about as a second or third tier star.

Unfortunately, I have to say I agree with you. He IS "the guy," but let us quantify that with this:

Him being "the guy" means that he must either make a complete change in his game or this team will be lucky to win a playoff series as long as he is "the guy." If KG can't do it, Stevie sure as all hell can't!

As far as other teams that would love to pay him the max? You are right there too, but how many of those are successful, or have highly regarded GM's???

I say a step below Vince and well below guys like Pierce and Ray Allen.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Tim Duncan
    Kevin Garnett
    Tracy McGrady
    Kobe Bryant
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Shaq O'Neal
    Jason Kidd
    Vince Carter
    Ray Allen
    Elton Brand
    Paul Pierce
    Stephon Marbury
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Ben Wallace
    Chris Webber

I would trade Steve right now, straight up for any of these guys without hesitation. So he is almost certainly not in the top 10-15 players in the NBA. BTW, I stopped when I got to 15, not when I ran out of players, so don't say my list puts him at #16.

#34 StupidMoniker, Aug 6, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ben Wallace, Ray Allen, and Elton Brand, I would disagree with. Also Gary Payton because of his age, but that's just my opinion. Elton Brand has carried his teams no where even close to what Steve has, and he's put good numbers, a complaint I always see of Steve, but everyone wants to trade him for Brand. Ray Allen is a very good player no doubt, but his offensive game is limited and when adding in the total package, rebounds and assists he doesn't even come close to Francis' value. His career shooting percentage isn't even that much higher than Francis' as well as his scoring average. Ben Wallace, if you want a player whose completely ineffective on the offensive end, Okay. Paul Pierce surprisingly is another player whose career avg's can only be considered slightly better than Steve's if that.

16. farhan007

farhan007 Member

you would wanna trade him for Ben Wallace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remeber man, this team had a serious problem scoring points last year, and removing our leading scorer plus assist maker and replacing him with a guy who averages 6 pts a game will put us down to scoring that denver even isnt proud of!!!!

17. SLA

SLA Member

I respect your OPINION...but I wouldn't trade him for Stephon Marbury. Marbury is our rival! I'd rather have Steve...they are basically the same.
    Also....no way would I trade him for Ben Wallace when we already have Yao Ming. You want Moochie as our starting point guard? Our offense would suck! Anyways...you know Ben Wallace only makes 5 WHOPPING million a year...
    All the other players are one level above Steve Francis and I would trade him for any of them...maybe except for CWebb...who has some legal problems...and is old...and really doesn't step up when he needs to. He also wouldn't be too good with Moochie as his starting point guard.

18. Sane

Sane Member

That's outrageous. Wow, you would actually trade him for Ben Wallace, Chris Webber, or Gary Payton?

Looking at that list, Francis is easily top 15 in the league to me.

Webber's going down. His body ain't holding up anymore. 2 seasons ago, I would've traded Francis for him. Begining of last season, possibly. Now? No way. Francis is young, STILL improving, hungry, and doesn't have more flaws than C-Webb. he's more talented, and I think is better for marketing purposes (Webber's former drug problems) because he's the West's All Star PG 2 years running, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to be for the near future.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Hahaha, I can imagine CD calling Dumars and offering Francis for Ben Wallace...

CD: "Francis for Wallace, are you in?"
    Dumars: "Dammit, I told you to stop calling here. I don't PLAY video games!!"

20. solid

With you, but others will agree. As a PG, I like Parker better and will stand by that statement. If Francis were six inches taller, he would be a terror as a power forward. As a PG, he has many shortcomings.