1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how much better is dwayne wade than brandon roy?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Apr 30, 2009.

1. fmp087

fmp087 Member

As of now, I would definitely take Wade. However, in a couple of years it might be a different story.

2. gamor

gamor Member

After this series against portland, I will Roy is already at same level as Wade.
    Not as good as kobe/james, but he is as good as wade.

3. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

Roy is like a smaller version of Tmac but without all the baggage.... great skills, court sense, and ability to manage the game

4. Steve_Francis_rules

We wouldn't have Shane if we had Roy, we got him for our 1st round pick that year. In fact, we might not have Scola or Ron either.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i don't see much of a comparison except for the handles.

roy is sturdy and nothing exceptional in terms of build/athleticism. whereas mcgrady, to quote bill simmons in 2001, "whoever invented the word 'length' was talking about tracy mcgrady." mcgrady is also a much better passer/playmaker even though roy plays point at times and is a very willing passer. this comment will definitely raise some eyebrows since the perception is of roy as a great playmaker - i would describe him more as a willing playmaker. he's not mcgrady in this department though. you can't crowd t-mac and take away his passing angles - he'll still thread the needle and find guys open.

the big difference though is roy's ability to finish and shot selection. despite his superior athleticism, tracy is nowhere near the finisher brandon roy is and has nowhere near the willingness to take it in. that's probably the main thing i took from this series. roy is just a rock - he'll take it in every time and absorb contact at the rim from yao and still finish. tracy on the other hand could jump over you and dunk ON you when he was young, but he's never been able to go THROUGH people like roy. he's scared of contact. and i don't remember roy taking any bad shots this series like tracy is accustomed to taking.

EDIT: i will add that the perception of tracy is as a great scorer while the perception of brandon is as a great playmaker. but the reality is that tracy at this point is a much better playmaker than he is a scorer, and conversely, i actually think brandon roy is a much better scorer than he is a playmaker, if he actually tried to score.

#65 thacabbage, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. kikimama

kikimama Member

Like someone said earlier, switch each players spot with their teams and the trailblazers will be THAT much better off.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Miami Heat have resorted to Thugery!

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Roy has a better jumpshot. At this point Wade is still better. He just has that will of a true superstar.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Wade is the best in the league.

10. lalala902102001

If either of them were on the Rockets we could beat the Lakers.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I do mean this year, and I don't mean in terms of "ability to put his team on his back" -- I mean the ability to lead his team and elevate the play of his teammates.

In my opinion Roy is one of the best SGs in the league, but he still is no Dwayne Wade. Like others have said, he still doesn't possess the ability to take over a game and score at will like a Wade, Bryant or vintage McGrady can, and he is still too dependent on the pick and roll for what he needs to do (although this may be just a function of Portland's offensive system).

12. thacabbage

that's not saying much. you put even last year's mcgrady on this team, and i think we could beat the lakers.

on a different note, i was just now trying to come up with a revised list of my top 10 players in the NBA, and it just now hit me for the first time that while it's always harped on how there are no great centers in the league today...where are the power forwards? there's not even any great power forwards left.

duncan is washed up. garnett is washed up. brand is washed up. boozer is washed up. amare took a huge step back this year and is looking very one dimensional. you have pillow-soft chris bosh who is, in shaq's words, "the rupaul of NBA big men". david west and lamarcus aldridge are nice players but won't exactly be knocking down the hall of fame door. there is a case pau gasol might even be the best power forward in basketball right now. i like pau gasol alot, but...pau gasol. charles barkley is rolling over in his grave.

i must be forgetting someone because there is no way things have gotten this bad. i guess dirk, but he's not exactly a power forward.

then of course who have your centers where yao and dwight would be 3rd tier guys in the 90's behind dream, shaq, david robinson, ewing, mourning, and possibly even dikembe.

look at the remaining teams in the playoffs: houston, LA, denver, dallas, chi/bos, orlando, cleveland. we're only up to the semifinals and the two best inside players are yao and pau gasol, and the former can be taken out of the game as simply as moving his defender in front of him. it's really incredible just how much the game has changed as this time 15 years ago you would likely have barkley, malone, olajuwon, robinson, ewing, oneal, mourning, mutombo, rodman etc. etc. still playing and most importantly, being the main factor for their team's success.

and of course, except for michael, the guard play of today is light years ahead of what it was then. if you want to say michael, magic, and isiah were better than kobe, lebron, and wade, that is fine, but i will say that the top 6 guards right now (kobe, lebron, wade, paul, williams, roy) are better than at any point in nba history.

here's my breakdown right now of the top 10 players:

tier 1: lebron, kobe, wade

big gap

tier 2: roy, paul, d. williams

smaller gap

tier 3: i don't even know who to put in tier 3 to replace the spots duncan, nash and the like once held. i guess dwight howard, but he is so, so overrated. you probably have to put yao because he is the single most unguardable player in the league, except that he becomes the single most guardable player in the league when you move his defender in front of him. tony parker? dirk? gasol? tier 3 is weak right now.

13. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Your forgetting Al Jefferson, he has a lot of potential.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Wade is a billion times better and if he hadn't gotten hurt the last few years he would be dominating and this wouldn't be a question. Wade carried his team to a championship. That was a team that had a banged Shaq who was a shell of himself during that championship run.

15. thacabbage

you're right, i totally forgot about jefferson. that guy is incredible.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Wade is, without a doubt, on the same level as Lebron and Kobe. His stats are as good as Lebron's and better than Kobe's. Wade is also the only one of them to go Jordan in the NBA Finals and win a ring.

He is a lot better than Roy but I have actually mentioned on this forum before that when Wade is 32-33 and has lost a step or two he will be pretty much what Roy is now.

17. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

I concur that D. Wade is elite, just as good as Lebron or Kobe...I used to dislike him because I thought he was overrated, but last year I changed my tune. He really is that good. Roy isn't there yet.

18. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Wade's shooting has really surprised me, this will definitely lengthen his career.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Ditto ;)

I think Roy is clearly the 3rd best SG in the league. I think he is a notch below Wade/Kobe and a notch above the next group (Johnson/Iggy/Carter). Wade in particular is much superior on defense, drawing fouls and leading teammates (whoever knocked Wade on leadership/do whatever for the team mentality is missing one of his greatest strengths--though I don't think Roy is bad in these respects)

If we are talking all guards and wings, add in Lebron (by far the best player in the league) for sure. I am close to on the fence between Paul and Roy because the latter was better this playoffs, but I got to give Paul the edge from overall body of work (regular seasons, last years playoffs, etc). I am not totally convinced Roy is better than Deron either, but I wouldn't argue against it.

So among smalls (guards and wings)...
    Tier 1: Lebron
    Tier 1b: Wade/Kobe (lets not get in this debate here)
    Tier 1c: Paul
    Tier 2: Roy, Deron Williams (great, great players & just off 1st team all NBA capable)
    Tier 3 (all-star capable, but not real all NBA 1st team threats): Pierce, Johnson, Iggy, Granger, Carter, Parker, Billips, Nash, Allen, Harris, Durant, Anthony, Gordon (not in order)

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

I find the notion that any player can "carry" a team to a championship absurd. Every team that has won a championship has a really good team and usually one guy who puts it all together like a Wade, Pierce, Duncan. But that person can't do it by themselves. Even Jordan needed good teams before he won.

People have it both ways when they talk about it. When talking about the best teams they'll say, "oh man LA and Cleveland are so deep and have the big guys at the top"

Then when they're talking about who is best they say "oh, man Kobe and LeBron are carrying their teams to this success. Wade is good but he doesn't have his team as good as the otehrs so hes not MVP."

Are they carrying their teams or are they great players on great teams?

I would say all three of those guys are still better than Roy, but that gap isn't as big as many think and its closing.