1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much are the Rockets paying Kevin McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pacmania, Jan 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. pacmania

pacmania Member

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Way too much. I can't even look into the McHale threads because they're so polarized. Either you like McHale or you despise him as a coach. I'm in the crowd that believes he is not qualified nor experienced enough for the job. It's obvious night after night. I know he's a great person, but in terms of coaches, the Rockets could do much, much better.

And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Jeremy Lin. I would think the same thing if God gave us Hakeem Olajuwon at 24 years old on this roster.

3. pacmania

pacmania Member

I find it funny that a man of statistics and numbers like Morey suddenly talks about intangibles when justifying the Kevin Mchale hire.

He suddenly goes off into his " leader of men" speech and into generalities which is quite bizarre for a man of numbers.

Was surprised to find out that Doc Rivers is the highest paid coach in the league at Seven (7) million dollars annually.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i always assumed he just gets paid per iso called

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

[​IMG]

6. pacmania

pacmania Member

wouldn't it be better if we gave that dough to dream, ellie, cassell, clyde, kenny smith or some other houston rocket?

I'm pretty sure Hakeem Olajuwon can call an isolation play as competently as mchale.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

And that didn't clue you in to the value the NBA places on coaches? Morey himself has said a coach is only worth +/- 5 wins. If the rest of the league thought otherwise, coaches would be paid more than they are. Apparently the highest paid coach in the league is barely worth more than the MLE.

8. xAliceInChains

The Clips felt that an extra +5 is difference in Title or not, so they paid Rivers.

I see people always complain about McHale but who would they rather have, I mean McHale already paid his worth by luring Howard so if anything he needs more money.

9. pacmania

pacmania Member

There is just a different standard for coaches because they don't actually play in the game, get injured, get roughed up, but they are an integral part of the finished product on the floor.

Those +/- 5 wins would matter in the playoffs. Its been a pattern of justifying the Kevin Mchale hire that you have to undervalue the importance of good coaching in order to justify an incompetent coach.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

doc isn't a +5, but cp3 leaving would have been about a -15

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm fairly certain in an interview Morey has said that he believes coaches don't make that much of a difference in wins and losses.

It may have been someone else I'm remembering, but I'm almost certain it was Morey and he said something like that he believes the absolute best of the best coach likely only adds ~5 wins tops over an average coach with the same roster.

With basketball I'm with him. 95% about the talent on the floor.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Per BimaThug, $2M per year, but his cap hit is only $1.3M because of the Gilbert Arenas Poison Pill Clause.

13. pacmania

pacmania Member

Mchale played a part in the recruitment but so did Hakeem, Yao, Harden or Parsons.

14. pacmania

pacmania Member

thanks for the info.

15. pacmania

pacmania Member

Going by that logic, when did it become more fashionable to hire ex celtics players rather than ex rockets players?

16. NotChandlerParsons

Adding 5 wins in exchange for money that doesn't count towards the salary cap seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

17. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

That's clever ;).

I hope you realize he's joking...

CH should be assigned his own font, a tongue-in-cheek font :).

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I see people don't understand what +/- 5 wins means. It doesn't mean replacing McHale automatically gets you 5 extra wins. It could get you less.

19. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I disagree.

I honestly think that if Popovich was coaching this team it could be battling Portland for the 3 seed instead of being 6th.

I'm seriously skeptical that a scrub coach like Keith Smart would have been able to coach the Spurs to 53-29 (5 wins less than Pop)

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I have no idea why he chose who he chose, I just think that is your answer about why he goes with "leader of men" types. I don't think the man of numbers doesn't use them when deciding on a coach, just that his numbers say it's not a huge difference.

That's not to say that there isnt difference between the best and the worst, but if the best of the best isn't available then after that there isn't much difference as long as you avoid the bottom of the barrel.