1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how many thread about yao's 3-15 night?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farhan007, Nov 27, 2003.

1. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Im seeing atleast 5 threads bashing steve right now. ALll them talking about trading him becasue of one game!! Yets yao even had a worse shooting night and no threads on critizising yao on his 3-15 night. Is steve the only player responsible for a loss. Last time i checked the team had 12 players on the roster.

2. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

3. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Oh, so touchy. Sorry we hurted your feeling. Have a nice turkey dinner tonight. It will make you feel SO MUCH better.

4. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Yao clearly had a poor shooting game and if it weren't for all the Fts he made then, he'd deserve to get ripped. Perhaps you've never heard of the concept that if you aren't helping the team one way (ie poor shooting), then you find otherways to make up for it (ie play great defence, rebound, etc). In Yao's case he made up for his horrid shooting by making 14/16 FTs. Yao going 10/10 fg and 0/0 fts in a game is still 20 points for the rockets no matter how you look at it.

Steve on the otherhand did nothing to make up for his poor shooting, turnovers or his defence which made some rooks look like all-stars.

I'm done now. Thread can be locked.

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Okay, that's some of the worst logic I've ever heard.

If all you're concerned about is Yao's stats, then yeah, it's the same damn thing. But one is shooting great from the field and just not being fouled, and then the other is getting stuffed multiple times and missing alot of shots, shots that could've gone to people who could've made them.

Please think before you post that garbage. (In multiple threads, I might add.)

6. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

If Yao is still shooting 3/15 5 years into his NBA career, I'm sure everyone else will be calling for his head too. Yao gets a pass his first few years like all new players to the NBA with potential get. Steve Francis got his and what you are seeing now is a large group of Rockets fans that are tired of waiting for him to grow up.

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Very true....

But as the season passes by, more and more fans will demand more of Yao. It only gets tougher for Yao. The "honeymoon" is over.

8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Yeah. Yao clearly has weaknesses which are acceptable now, but will not be acceptable a year or two down the road. Progress must be made on his part or the fans will turn. By the way, the Oscar Robertson quote you use as your signature is one of my favorites. When I am on here screaming about what makes a winner, that is prec isely the attitude I am talking about. Unfortunately for basketball fans like myself, that attitude is pretty much extinct in today's NBA.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

you know,

the reason I don't feel the need to bash yao for his game last night is this. Yes he shot poorly, but he got hammered on at least five different occasions that weren't called and completely altered his shot. It seemed as though the ref's didn't want to decide the game by having yao live on the free throw line.

Now he does have to get stronger so this won't happen throughout his career, but if you take away some of those attemps and put him on the foul line where he deserved to be, he pobably has another 8-10 points and his shooting percentage looks a hell of a lot better.

10. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Right back at ya, you should follow your own advice. Guess you can't see the simple concept that 20 points in either scenario is 20 points for the rockets. You must be of the 2+2=5 kind of breed. (There's no doubt the 2nd scenario is better overall, but I'm talking about one game here).

Your other point makes no sense either saying that shooting 3/15 is taking away shots that other people could have made. Who is to say they would have made them. You can't say either way. By that logic, in the hypothetical 10/10 fg game, he should be getting more shots cause other people are taking away his shots and are probably missing.

11. Apollo Creed

So if Moochie Norris scored twenty points for the rockets, but had to take 15 shots to do it, would that be okay?

14/16 FT attempts is essentially shooting 7/8 from the field. Coupled with his FGs, you could essentially say that last night Yao shot 10 for 23. That's not horrible, but it's certainly not good. So tell me again how 10 out of 23 and 10 out of 10 are the same thing.

As long as Yao gets his points, right?

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Boy, that would be Great if Moochie can do that, hitting 10 of 15 isn't shabby for moochie, in fact, it isn't shabby for anybody. But I doubt it will ever happen.

seriously, what planet are you from?

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I said it earlier. Shaq takes 15 shots a game to score 21 points with 11 rebounds in about 35 mins. and he's DOMINANT. Everyone here is complaining about Yao after he puts up about the same numbers in 31 mins. He couldn't hold on to the rebound though double and triple teams and he shot 3-15 in a game so physical that he got 14 FTs from it. Yao is improving in his second year...why not hold the 5th year Max point guard with 8 TOs more accountable.

14. Apollo Creed

Okay, I guess since I didn't spell it out explicitly, you didn't grasp what I meant. I was saying that if Moochie had a game exactly like Yao's shooting 20 percent from the field, and took 15 shots, yet still getting 20 points, would that be okay.

I seem to have mis-represented myself. You cannot shoot 20 percent from the field and consider it a good game!

Everyone is accountable for the loss, and I'm not saying Yao played the worst out of everyone. (By far that honor goes to Steve.) But that doesn't mean Yao isn't allowed to be criticized!

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Yes, Yao is not immune to criticism, and this was definitely not a good shooting night for him.

But seriously, if Moochie can score 20 out of 23 positions, I'll take it any day of the week. I can care less where his points comes from. 43% is about SF's career shooting percentage.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We don't have to treat Yao the exact same way we treat Francis. Whoever is insinuating that is just wrong. We are critcizing the mistakes Francis has made for 5 years now. We are criticizing his selfishness and choking. Most are happy with how Yao is improving, but not with Francis, and for good reason.

17. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

GO STEVIE GO !

[​IMG]

18. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

let's say we don't make the playoffs this year and yao plays horribly. it will be ok because yao is young but it will probably be steve's fault because he is the veteren? as for your comment about large groups of Rockets fans that are tired of waiting for steve to grow up, you should rephrase that. large group of YAO fans. i'm sick and tired of yao-only fans. this loss wasn't steve's fault, this loss wasn't yao's fault, it was the TEAM's fault. get off steve's back and go away. i can understand some criticism but arguing that it was steves fault when yao missed 12 shots, and got outplayed by GREG OSTERTAG is just compete crap. the reason i dont attack the steve supporters is because they are actual rocket fans. yao only fans, go to a yao only site. im sick and tired of you.

im also done posting in this rockets forum. i dont want to argue anymore and im sick of it. see you at the hangout.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We can also say that Steve is entering his 5th year in the league. Although Yao was a "pro" before the NBA, he did not at all have the no-how that the NBA can give him.

Look at Artest, look at others who have been in the league as long as Steve or not as long. Steve still panics, throws the ball away, commits offensive fouls when we need a basket, etc.

No one is saying Yao is perfect. But this isn't X-box or whatever. Steve has o composure at all, and if he doesn't have it by now, who knows if he ever will?

8 TURNOVERS. Damn.

20. poison

poison Member

Agree with you so.