1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many Stros make All-Star this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, Jun 26, 2015.

?

How many?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2015.
  1. 1

23.8%
  2. 2

55.6%
  3. 3

19.0%
  4. 4+

1.6%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I've often thought this *should* be the norm (so that the AS sample size was relatively a full year) - but I don't think it's practiced often, outside of it possibly impacting fan voting.

Altuve's swinging a hot bat right now - if he does finish 2nd to Infante, there may be some "he's the fans' 'real' choice" momentum for him... but I agree that he'll have a hard time jumping past Kipnis, who might be the only logical choice from Cleveland.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

Keuchel and Correa. Correa deservedly should get the backup spot, but will get in on the final vote.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, starting to realize it'll just be Keuchel because of the Kipnis issue. Unless they want to go Altuve and give Cleveland Bryan Shaw as a RP. I don't think it'll happen that way though

And yeah hopefully Correa can make it on the final vote. But if there's a huge omission, he might not. We also might see Altuve/Correa split the final vote and let someone else slip past..

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Correa making it would be great, but the league doesn't take too kindly to newbies. Puig wasn't selected 2 years ago and he outplayed Carlos. Springer should've made the Derby last season. His power was absurd.

I voted Springer and Altuve 105x each (35 votes from 3 email accounts) last Saturday. It only took 15 minutes.

Gets your votes in H-Town fans!!

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Springer turned down the HR derby last year.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastro...nger-unsure-about-2015/#31931103=0&33838101=0

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Springer chose not to go to the Homerun Derby last year

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Interesting the media and posters said little-to-nothing about George's invite. Guess the league treats the Derby differently than the ASG if Springer was invited... or many players don't want to participate in the Derby.

Regardless, Puig's inaugural month was significantly better than Correa's and he didn't get the call.

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference being that Puig is an outfielder and Correa is already the best at his SS position.

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

There are more available spots for OFs than SS because OF encompasses more positions. Puig's stats were minimum Top 3 for his position. He could've easily gotten the call. Baseball simply doesn't take too kindly to new school and change. Hence, the amount of time it took to implement instant replay.

But again, Correa getting the call would be great!!

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

didn't trout and harper both make the ASG their rookie year?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Omar Infante still leads the All-Star voting over Altuve, but it's a CLOSE margin. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/VoteAltuve?src=hash">#VoteAltuve</a> <a href="http://t.co/PA9LI7mxzt">pic.twitter.com/PA9LI7mxzt</a></p>&mdash; Howard Chen (@TheHoChen) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheHoChen/status/615604765729263616">June 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Something tells me if Infante makes it, he's somehow pulled for injury concerns or something.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or is substituted after 1 pitch... or 1 out.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The ASG narrative has formed quite nicely for the league over the past two weeks.

Last week, Miggy earns his spot. This week, Cruz and Donaldson come back... while Altuve cuts his deficit almost exactly in half.

I think the story is setting up for Altuve to reclaim the lead just in time for the announcement. At least I hope so.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think it's still about position. While there are more spots for OFs, the difference between Puig and the other potential All Star OFs said he was better, but they were still "worthy". Whereas here, the SS's are mostly garbage, and the difference between Correa and them is ridiculous

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

They both started April of their rookie seasons. In Trout's case, he actually played 40 games the season before his "rookie" year.

From post #24 :grin::grin:

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Fair enough.

The SS position is so weak, Jed Lowrie is currently tied for 5th in HR's. :eek:

Tied with Marwin Gonzalez. :eek::eek:

If Correa makes it, we should have minimum 3 representatives

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I doubt his own manager would do that to him.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think Altuve will get voted in. Keuchel is a lock.

Correa is tied with Jose Iglesias for 2nd in AL SS WAR, so he is arguably deserving, but no way he gets picked.

Springer is in the mix, but I doubt he makes it (maybe fan vote for final spot). Harris is a long shot.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Anyone know how Kipnis' defense compares to Jose's?