1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many games would Peyton or Brees have won with this bunch?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by basketballholic, Dec 6, 2013.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yeah, I think this team could be 10-6 with an elite QB. They make you're whole team.

2. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

manning DD wins

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Imagine Brady with Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, they would definitely would be over .500
    Brady is playing with a lot of rookies, and with a ton of WRs that were dropping passes, but still winning games.

so I bet the texans would be the leader of the division if they had Brady instead of Schaub/Keenum.

4. basketballholic

So if we would have 10 or 11 wins with Brady or Rodgers, etc. then how many wins would we have if we had Josh McCown or Nick Foles?

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Manning 13-3
    Brees 11-5
    Schaub 6-10
    Keenum 0-16

6. Major

Major Member

Somewhere in between. Is this really that complicated?

Great QB > Good QB > Decent QB > Terrible QB

7. Major

Major Member

Sure - what's your point? A better offense would make the defense look better. A better defense would make the offense look better. What does that have to do with whether having a great QB would help the team win games or help improve the defense's stats?

8. Swag

Swag Member

bring over brady and bill bellichek from NE and we would be 1st in the AFC... o yeah and their kicker too

9. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Peyton Manning + average team = contenders every year
    Matt Schaub/Keenum + great running game + great defense = average team

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think we'd be 9-4 at a minimum right now with Manning or Rodgers. You can probably say the same thing about Brees or Brady.

A great quarterback makes all the difference in the world and has been pointed out, most of our losses are very close.

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

How do I vote this thread 1 star?

12. Cow Pattie

Cow Pattie Member

Agreed...the only intangibles would be the horrific special teams play and lackluster defensive schemes...something a QB has no control over. The penalties could potentially wipe out any stellar play the best QB could provide, so I see 9-4 as the absolute best any QB...Brady, Manning or Brees could accomplish.

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

with Kubes as the coach, thats a tough question, but def more than 2

14. basketballholic

That's what I think some of you are missing. A lot of what makes peyton manning peyton is the fact that he runs his own offense. A lot of what makes Brady Brady is the system that Belicheck runs.

My original question was how many games would those guys have won on this team with the same coaches calling the same plays in the same system????

It all fits together. You have to take away Peyton's ability to check out to another play. You have to take away Belichek's game scheming and play calling. Just prop Peyton up behind center in our system with Kubiak on the sidelines calling the plays and making up the schemes and what would you have?????

In my humble opinion (and I don't claim to be as knowledgeable as some of you here on football), I can't see where there would be a substantial difference in our record. I think those guys may have got us to 4-5 wins...maybe 6 max. Go back through the games. Some of those "close" games were relatively high-scoring affairs with our offense scoring 24 points. Perhaps most of those guys don't throw the pick-6's. I don't know.

Here's what I believe:

I don't think we can get a rookie QB in here next season that will take this team to championship level. Because there's too many things wrong here. QB is just one issue. The defense has fallen into the dumper and special teams suck as well.

Teddy Bridgewater may be a great qb down the road in a couple years. But that ain't next year. Our OL has had trouble with containment this year. Look at rookie qbs that come into the league. They all get splattered. I don't care how fast they are, how athletic they are...they all get splattered...first of all because they can't make the reads fast enough and secondly because most of them come into the league behind porous offensive lines, and thirdly because they try to do too much to early (RGIII).

If the game is won in the trenches then in my opinon you gotta get that right first before you finish out the team with the qb. Otherwise you get your qb and you hope and pray he survives 2-4 years of getting the snot knocked out of him before he learns and you get better protection around him. We've already been down that road before with Carr.

I don't know what happened defensively on our front lines but something went awry. You can't have arguably the best defensively player in the league on your front line and not generate any pressure on opposing qbs.

The problems in the OL are obvious. We need help on the right side. We let guys go and replaced them with inferior players. And we need our left side to get healthy. I think the OL is fixable but it does need a talent infusion on the right side. With the offensive weapons we have, the receivers, tight ends, backs, as long as we get protection we should be able to get another "Alex Smith" QB in here, a guy with experience, and he should do well.

Defensively something needs to change. I'm not for sure what. But I do know Watt needs help up front. When he gets triple-teamed and NOBODY ELSE can step up and generate pressure something needs to change.

These are the reasons why I fundamentally believe that defensive and offensive line help is what we need to target in the first 2 rounds of this draft. There are a lot of QBs in this draft. I have been watching one kid (Bortles) for a few games now. He's not even listed on many draft boards. There's going to be good qb prospects in the 3rd round...or later. With our team being just a recent playoff team I think with a little help along the lines, new coaching staff, and a vet qb (not Schaub), that we can be even better than we were last year. And I also think that if we draft Bridgewater that we're going to have to still improve our OL and DL and not only that we're gonna have to deal with all his growing pains for a year or two when this team is built to contend now.

If we're gonna draft Bridgewater we might as well try to trade Foster and Johnson and rebuild.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How many games would the Saints, Colts, or Pats have if they had Case Keenum starting?

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

whoops, not colts but broncos.