1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How ludicruous is the idea that Lebron/Bosh/Wade win 45 games?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Even worse is that for every player under 12 on your roster, there is about a $470,000 cap hold.

So let's say they sign James/Wade/Bosh for 48 mil. They'll have 9 rosters spots with cap holds of $470,000 each, which when added to the 48 million, puts them at $52.2 million.

This is just off the top of my head, but I read about the concept earlier today in Larry Coon's cap breakdown.

1 person likes this.
  2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not being familiar with the rockets in the 90s makes sense why you would leave this guy off of that 2008 celtics squad

[​IMG]

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Why are people even debating this? I doubt the Heat are moronic enough to do that. It's more reasonable to expect them to try to sign 2 max players instead of 3 and then spend the rest on serviceable role players. If a bunch of fans on an Internet message board realize that 2 superstars/1 star and the 10 dwarves is a questionable strategy, then why wouldn't a group of professionals whose job is to manage a basketball team?

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...except that's not the argument. The argument is where do you stand to win the most games and ultimately a championship? The answer is NOT Miami even with Wade and Lebron in the mix.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

They could just have a different opinion. The "experts" on ESPN seem to think a James/Wade/Bosh combo would yield championships, for example. I think they're idiots, but I'm sure they simply disagree.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

But what about Wade OR Lebron and a group of serviceable role players in the mix?

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I'm not positive on this, but I thought that to resign Wade Miami wouldn't have to count his contract in their space for next season, cause they have his Bird Rights or something. Am I completely off on that assumption?

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

True - but that's an unknown part of the puzzle. What will be left in terms of FAs when the dust settles? Inevitably some of the guys with big cap space will miss out and likely will end up spending too much on marginal talents meaning serviceable FAs may be priced out of Miami's range. Its just unclear. Houston's situation is clear by comparison - this is a 52+win team with Yao, and a 42 win team without Yao.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's actually WORSE than teams like the Rockets who are above the cap.

Look at it this way, 2 max players leaves you about $20 mil to spend. In terms of talent that you can get for that in FA, we're talking Rockets equivalent of Scola, Ariza, Budinger, and Lowry. Actually I'd think those 4 players get more than that on the market, but for the sake of argument let's say Miami get nice players.

Now, assuming the Rockets package Brooks and Hill for Bosh, which means, from Bosh's perspective, he's taking Wade + SCRUBS or Yao + Martin + Battier + Budinger + Patterson + nice picks in future years.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....not to mention there is more value on the roster when a team is able to identify players before they blow up like Houston has in the recent past with Lowry, AB, Budinger, Landry, Scola, Hill, etc. These players aren't all over the place every year - we have built a team around guys like that over time. Even if a guy like Riley suddenly had the skills of a Morey to pull great value out of very low draft picks and 2nd rounders, the chances of him finding that value times 4 or 5 roster spots in highly unlikely. I don't see Riley buying some late first round pick, a 2nd rounder, and a couple of bench guys on other rosters who somehow flew under the radar their entire career all before the season opens next year and have them be as effective as Houston's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th guys off the bench.

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I'm sure if such a trio would formed, vets who need rings on their resumes would be lining up to sign at the min.

Like...

Richard Jefferson
    T-Mac
    Big Z
    Steve Blake
    Al Harrington
    Hell, Shaq.
    Nate the Great
    Haywood
    Mike Miller

They could fill out a roster pretty easily.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If they get those 3,they will the championship. This is a superstar league.

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You crazy. None of these guys are signing for the minimum. Right before the CBA expires with a potential lockout on the horizon? Absolutely no chance that happens.

14. keez857

keez857 Member

No way Lebron's ego allows himself to play with Wade and Bosh.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Difference with Houston's and Boston's big three is that they still had quality around them and don't forget when we got Barkley we also acquired Kevin Willis. IF Miami were to try it this way, it would be 3 superstars surrounded by a bunch of league minimum guys...a strong bench is VERY important even if you have 3 stars around them. 45 might be pushing it but point is understood.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Very possible that they win less than us with all three but absolutely no supporting cast. Very possible that with Bosh on our team we win over 60 games because of our depth. and Yao and Bosh coming back to the team. With Bosh and Wade alone which is the most likely scenario? They are barely playoff contenders with such a bare lineup behind those two.

17. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

This offseason there are so many teams with so much cap space, that many of these guys will get a deal much better than the minimum. And with the uncertainty of the next CBA negotiation which probably will greatly reduce how much a role player makes, it would be so foolish to leave the money on the table for most of these guys. Of all the players you mentioned, the only ones I could see taking a vet minimum are Tmac and Shaq, and maybe big Z. Tmac if he still can play would be the most likely, just to finally get out of the first round. Shaq might give it one last try to get even with Kobe. For the rest of the players, I just don't see Richard Jefferson opting out of a $15m contract only to end up with a veteran minimum.

18. dingaaa

dingaaa Member

I cannot see TMAC signing for 470k hahahahahahaa

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

45 might be overly conservative, but I don't think its a guarantee they are automatically a dynasty. A Big and a wing is a proven winner, but nobody has ever tried two superstar wings. Only one basketball, and neither player is a spectacular shooter, they are both at their best creating for others. What does Lebron do while Wade is pounding the rock, and vice-versa.

20. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Morey's larger point is a good one. Bosh has the best chance to win and win big with the Rockets.

I don't think you can compare the 97 Rockets with the Heat. The league is very different now. Besides, that Rocket team didn't have any depth that year and didn't win a championship. As others have pointed out, Boston had a very talented supporting cast.

And even with Wade/Bosh and better role players, the Rockets would still have the better team.

Whether Morey is off by a few wins here or there isn't the point (and I'd bet that his numbers are actually pretty close to reality.)