1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long will you continue to support this pathetic Texans franchise?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CometsWin, Oct 4, 2015.

?

How long will you continue to support the Texans?

1. Forevaaaah

81 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. We just need a QB

62 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. I'm about done

38 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. **** this team

38 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Yes..and Tampa, Tennessee and Oakland all have other highly thought of young QB's. St. Louis dealt for a QB and the Viking have Bridgewater. The Texans have..... Hoyer and Mallet.

Well there is always Cleveland.... Good to know there is another organization worse than the Texans.... all is good!

2. TheresTheDagger

What I'm doing isn't what I'd call quitting. More like staying dormant.

If I was quitting, I would simply select another team to follow OR just stop watching the NFL altogether. I'm not prepared to do either of those things.

Instead, I only watch games they are somewhat competitive in, don't worry if I miss a game, check out the news on the team occasionally and focus on other things like (for instance) the Astros or the Rockets upcoming season or TAMU (my school).

Life's too short to follow a shi tty football team. When they start playing better I'll tune back in more closely.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I really wish all the "fans" who are threatening to quit on the team would do just that. Or go "dormant" like TheresTheDagger said. I won't judge you for it. I quit on the Astros and have slowly come back now that they're worth watching. But if that's where you are as a fan, just go the **** away until you're ready to come back. It's annoying having to wade through the posts from people who seem like they literally hate the team and just want to b**** and moan all the time.

You know, they had winning records 3 out of the last 4 years. Are fans just supposed to tuck tale 3 or 4 games into the season? Does a team need to be a Super Bowl contender every year to be worthy of support. ****, man, it's not like we're Jacksonville or Cleveland or Oakland, teams that haven't had a winning record in a decade or more.

Presumably, it was OK to wear a jersey or Texans gear last year because we had a winning record. But now it's not OK because we started 1-3? OK. :rolleyes:

This may be a bad season, and there might come a time when a franchise is so irredeemable that it's not worthy of local support. But that point isn't a 1-3 start after a 9-7 season.

You know one of those seasons was last year, right? And 3 of them were in the last 4. But we're 1-3 so the franchise is irredeemably bad I guess.

Falcons were 4-12 two years ago and 6-10 last year. But they're 4-0 now so I guess they don't suck anymore.

I think someone else has mentioned it, but I don't think it's fair to count the expansion era. A team starting from scratch isn't expected to win. And the franchise is still so young that those years skew the overall numbers. In between 2-14 seasons, we had a 7 year stretch where we went 59-53. The team is 10-10 under O'Brien. It's not great, but it's not like the team has been a **** pile year in and year out either.

Unless you mean pass on him with the #1 pick, you know that's bull****, right? Not trading up to get a guy is not the same thing as passing on him. By that logic, the Texans passed on Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota too because they didn't trade up for them.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Not as invested in the team as I normally am, I'll still try to catch the games... Although I might make better use of the time on more Sundays than normal this season.

I'm too caught up in the Astros season though.

But as long as the Texans play in Houston I'll be a fan.

1 person likes this.
  5. baubo

baubo Member

For me it's very weird relationship. I watch the Texans games, but I'm not emotionally attached to them. Their wins won't cheer me up and their losses won't bum me out. But I guess football being a once-a-week sport that I'm more conditioned to watch them than because I want to. And it's one of those I'll do other stuff while I watch sort of a thing.

This didn't used to be the case. There was a time when I would cheer a close loss or a game David Carr looks he might've turned the corner, or when I thought about how the Texans could build around Schaub/Foster/Andre trio and all that stuff. Similar to how I've felt about the Astros the past few years. I rarely watched Astros games, but I was invested in the team. I cared about Springer and Altuve and Correa and other prospects. I cared they found a gem in Keuchel while lamenting all their FA money going to scrub players. Good or not, I cared once Ludnow came on as I did buy into his plan and hoped that it would succeed.

With the Texans, there's no emotion. It's just watching football.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I probably won't be able to take my eyes off the trainwreck like a couple years ago.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'll keep supporting but it really blows being the joke of the league.

8. Buck Turgidson

Drugs
    p*rn
    NFL/Gambling/Hollywood/Fast Food

'Murca!

You need to get outdoors.

Of course not. I'm not going to plan my weekend around a football game if they suck, sorry, but I'll follow them and watch when I feel like it (I'm looking at you, too, UT). Will probably just start DVRing games on Sundays and watching late that night or something.

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?"

No, man, I'm really not.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Gtfo... You'll be back soon enough.

See you then.

10. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Everybody saying "we're not the Jaguars or Browns etc." um what sets us apart? IMO we are just like those teams. This team is complete garbage from front office on down. Keep buying those tickets and t shirts though.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In the NFL there are 32 professional organizations all striving for an edge over the others. They all spend about the same on research and training, the carousel of coaches and management goes around in the same circles. Four or five teams are decidedly better than the group and four or five are decidedly worse than the group, usually separated by superior or inferior quarterback play. The cycles of "good' teams usually run for about the length of a quarterback's career, then good team become bad teams.

I've been a Cowboy fan for 50 years, I've seen the cycles come and go, from 0-16 to Super Bowl Champs to chumps and back to Champs... and back to also rans for the last decade. I know it helps the passion to have won at some point, but still the attraction of being a sports fan is the distraction; the deep involvement in something with tangible but harmless results. Unlike real life, no one wins unless someone loses, no one is ecstatic unless someone else is apoplectic. It's like yin and yang.

So go ahead and express your despair, it's an inseparable part of being a fan. But giving up on your geographical team just means you have to go back your own mundanity like "oooh I really killed it on my TPS report this month".

You don't want to live like that.

[​IMG]

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Where's the option for "I'll remain a casual fan until this team finally does something to deserve my die-hard fandom and create some long-lasting memories." I guess that's a little long.

I'm amazed how any one can simply force themselves to be a die-hard Texans fan. They happened to spring up in my hometown, so now I'm a die-hard fan? Sorry, doesn't work that way for me.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We were a QB and a secondary or two away from being a SB team under Kubes before the 2 win season.

14. magman

magman Member

I'll keep watching the games on tv, but on days like yesterday I might play some games on my pc with the game on the background.

A few more losses and I'll be cheering for draft picks.

15. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I feel right now like I did 2 years ago. I will always support the team but I don't know that I will carve out 3 solid hours every Sunday this season like I used to. I can't just outright stop supporting my team. If you can just flip the switch off then you are not a fan. I have been watching and rooting for the team almost every Sunday since day 1.

16. AXG

AXG Member

The Texans are still my team, but I haven't watched a game in 2 years besides the one preseason game I attended earlier this year. What baffles me is how Houston fans tend to settle for mediocrity. A few years back, I remember people were excited the Texans went 9-7 because it meant they were a "winning team."

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We had a few guys in the Astros forum who stuck with the Stros from 10'-14' seasons when we were really bad!

They are really reaping the rewards of what they had to endure making this seasons accomplishment extra special.

Stick with your team! The misery makes you more grateful for when we win!!!

Forever baby!

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll still pay attention and root for them to do well, but they're easily the worst franchise in this city and one of the most boring in all of sports. I'd like for them to turn it around, but my feeling about the owner is that he sees no reason to really shake things up given that this city has proven that it will support the NFL team no matter what the actual product is on the field.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Same here. Been a fan from the beginning so I can't just stop, but I can stop making the game a must-watch that requires everything else to be scheduled around it.

I've been wanting a QB to be drafted for a long time. Sure, there's a good chance any given QB won't succeed, buy with the Texans that applies to every position they draft. So why not swing for the fences.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As long as they have "Houston" on the jersey, I'll support them. I've certainly been more distracted from the early season problems than normal, thanks to the Astros. I'm hoping to remain distracted for a few more weeks, too.

That said, I'll still watch every game possible. I understand if you don't want to watch but that doesn't give you the right to s*** on those of us that do. After living in Austin from 1999-2014, I love seeing all of the Texans gear and I love seeing the people live and die on Sundays with the team.