1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long can you hold your breath?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Jan 21, 2004.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

1:15

i swear i went over 2 minutes once but it was so far above the best i had done before that (about 1:40) i still think i was looking at the watch wrong. should've used a timer and not just followed the second hand. but officially, according to my probably hypoxic damaged brain, i got over 2 minutes. i could probably do 1:30 now that i've stretched my lungs a little with the 1:15 effort.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's wild :eek:

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Meghan Heaney-Grier (model/diver) dove over 160 feet on one breath. She was part of that show on the Discovery Channel (Manny Puig?, Meghan, and the 3rd guy nobody knows). She's fairly good looking, not that that matters. I think she can hold her breath for over 4 minutes while diving.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know why, but I read this and immediately thought this needs to be a skit on SNL or Mad TV. lol.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

In the plant world, do you think they talk about how long they can go without carbon dioxide?

6. Isabel

Isabel Member

Tried just now and I think I'll stop at 1 minute... since there really is such a thing as hypoxic brain damage... but I never had a great lung capacity.

I swam in high school too, and they encouraged us to do "hypoxic" sets - e.g. breathe every 3 strokes, or every 5 strokes, or every 7 strokes. The ones past 3 were not very doable for long periods of time. I always just cheated on these and breathed when I wanted to - usually every 2 or 4 strokes (they were also trying to get you to learn to breathe on either side, which I didn't like). The other variation was to get across the pool with a limited number of breaths. This usually didn't get any worse than 25 yards - no breaths. We often did this at the end of the workout, and it was natural for some of us to play around with it and see if we could make anything longer. Most of us were able to do two laps - 50 yards. (In the summer, doing long course, a lot of us managed to do the whole 50-meter length.)

That's where we did something stupid. Some of us decided to try 75 yards without breathing. I was OK for the first 50, of course, but the third lap was tough. I was feeling a little self-destructive and decided to just keep going. Eventually, near the end of the lap, I came up for air, but then passed out. Fortunately I only stayed passed out for a few seconds. Then I woke up and had to remember where I was - it was like waking up from sleep and being in the middle of the pool. My friend was afraid he was going to have to try to revive me (talk about something that would have been embarrassing). Then we tried the 75 again. Didn't make it. I felt lightheaded for about an hour after that.

Later, I heard of a swimmer on the Trinity U. men's team who got himself killed doing that. :( Trying that same stunt. So be really careful with these breath-holding games and make sure to quit when you feel the need to breathe.

7. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

So what does this measure exactly? I only got to 1:20. After three tries.

8. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I did it this morning, shortly after I woke up and got 1:15. Now 18 hours later, I got 1:43. I'm sure if you asked that question mid summer, I'd be closer to 3 minutes...

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Is this Clutch's subversive way of shortening the member list?

Next up: "How long can you run around your locked bathroom after setting yourself on fire?"

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How long can you hold your breath while running?