1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Lin has changed since Linsanity. Comparison of now vs. his Knicks days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 29, 2013.

1. bongman

bongman Member

I don't understand this. If somebody is playing bad, why put him in the line? Just let him shoot it and most likely he will miss instead of giving him 2 uncontested 15 footers.

2. nono

nono Member

That is undoubtedly true, and Lin goes through these phases in games where he will not look to shoot or even want to have the ball in his hands. His game isn't really at that level yet where he has the consistency or confidence to keep on shooting if he is missing.

3. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

It's to disrupt the flow of the game. You rather let the let DHO shoot the FTs than get scored on by the other players.

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

They're hacking him without the ball.

For example, in the Laker's game, Harden got really hot in the 4th and D'Antoni said they started hacking Dwight to take Harden out of his rhythm.

5. bws

bws Member

I think Harden is our best player and I have no problem pulling a best player if they are having an off night or just playing poorly or stupid and someone else is stepping up, is hot and effective and playing well on the defensive end also.

6. mothman

mothman Member

Ans:
    1) Time (stops the clock)
    2) Bad FT shooter

* The more time remaining, the more opportunities to get back into the game.

7. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Lin has only shot below the league average TS% twice this season. No - I didn't count ATL game. TS% actually been very consistent through 15 games. Do you even bother looking up stats?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fl%2Flinje01%2Fgamelog%2F2014%2F&div=div_pgl_advanced"></script>

8. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I actually looked at it.. on that website.

He's 54% FG, 51% from the three, 68% TS in the first 9 games.
    He's 44% FG, 18% from the three, 56% TS in the last 7 games.

You can expect 64% TS, 50% FG, and 40% from the three. That's fine with me. I'm telling you that I don't think that's fair or reasonable.

9. bws

bws Member

He's out 2 weeks with knee sprain and contusion. Re-evaluated then. I hope Lin doesn't develop knee problems.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is the NYDN I tend to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Do you by any chance have Bev's stats on how often he fouls? Has this been a problem of his (being to foul prone) or has he not had much issue with that. For the life of me I can't remember.

11. bongman

bongman Member

My post was about your claim that he was having a bad game, hence they send him to the line. The fact is, they do that regardless if he is having a good game or not.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He averages a little less than 3 fouls at 32 minutes of play time.

13. lookabove

I didn't provide any expectation. I just don't agree with you that Lin shot the ball bad last 6 games. Dallas he was horrible and I'm personal think he deserve to be benched, but that one game does skew the stats. Also do you really need to count ATL game? He played 4 minutes.

So looking at the last 6 games played what do you consider bad shooting? 3 games he did post TS% over 60%. The other 2 game he posted 0.563. 0.587 TS%. Of course Dallas game we both can agree 0.085 TS% is bad.

14. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

He's 4/22 from the three since his philly game.

I think he'll average out to what he had last year post AS, which was 45% FG, 37% 3p, 55% TS.

15. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Not sure what you are referencing.

16. Chris Jent MVP

Lin is still so young, and playing alongside another up and coming superstar. It's crazy to think how much these guys might improve.

JHARD and JLIN can become the next Jordan & Pippen. Wouldn't that be sweet.

17. lookabove

You really don't want to answer the question do you? His last 6 games which games do you think he shot bad.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good OP. However, I don't think you should call the whole NY season "Linsanity." It gives a wrong impression.

Linsanity was just that, a stretch that was "insane." It's not just media hype as some claim (although his story did make it bigger than the performance was). Never had an undrafted guy put up such insane numbers at his first NBA start. He came back down to earth after Melo came back and that ended Linsanity.

If you take out that insane stretch and just look at what happened afterward with the Knicks, he has improved from that quite obviously.

Also, I don't agree that it's a good thing for Lin to play off the ball more. He plays off the ball more out of necessity of the team he's on. He played off the ball more in NY after Melo came back and his game suffered.

It's good that he has adjusted much better now after a whole season playing with Harden and a whole summer working on his shooting. But it's still not his natural game. His biggest strength is still attacking with the ball in his hands, drawing fouls, finishing at the rim. He can't do that as often now because it is also Harden's biggest strength and Harden does it better than him.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Linsanity ended after Melo returned to the lineup.

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

15 games out of 82 games of the season, we're not even close to halfway through, players are still shooting 60-70 from the field, stats wise theres players with 100% 3 pointers and freethrows. Some players will have hot stars, but lin within the last games has already started to show signs of a decline. his shot % has gone down quite a bit.

I'll give him that he had a great start on the season, but as ive said before, thats the difference between average players, above average players, stars, and superstars. I don't think lin is capable of doing numbers like he did the first couple games, all season. I'd like to see it for the sake of the team, i just don't think hes there yet.