1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Lin has changed since Linsanity. Comparison of now vs. his Knicks days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 29, 2013.

1. bws

bws Member

Lin is a piece of the Rockets and he's your main point guard. Bev may start but Lin is your leading point guard in most stats. The Rockets and coaches should find the best compromise to utilize his skills to help the team win and at the same time develop the player as they should develop all of their players. Lin has the work ethic to improve but he needs to be on court and sometimes in a position to work through things in the season he can improve on to get his game to the next level. I believe in this player, I think he can be a star player in a season or 2 for years.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Huh? In the game Howard when 1 for 5 he played 34 minutes in a game Lin went 0 for 5 he played 17 minutes. McHale even lets DH12 despite hack a howard.
    Lin went 3 for 7 he played 26 minutes howard went 4 for 10 he played 32 minutes. Howard always sees the court for a bulk of the time despite poor play, as it should be.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Since McHale finally got his backup center, aka a non-pouting Asik, how many games did Dwight Howard deserved to be pulled for playing crappy besides that one Memphis game?

4. bws

bws Member

Doesn't there seem to be a history of McHale not "getting" point guards? Has he really developed any point guard? If Calvin Murphy was an assistant coach I think all the PGs would play better and get to play through mistakes (if McHale took his advice).

5. yummyhawtsauce

Yes I agree, he has to do okay or well in order to stay in the game which is unfortunate because Lin turns it up ALWAYS in the 4th. That's just his style for some reason. I wonder if anyone has asked him in an interview why he does that, I would really like to know as an interview question

6. nono

nono Member

Dwight Howard is our best player. He and Harden should not be pulled if they are having a bad game, unless they are perhaps injured. There is however a double standard with regards to coaching treatment on this team and you have to be blind to not see it.

7. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

It's only been a couple of games that Omer has started to actually play again. Let's see what happens in a close game with full Hack a Dwight.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

You do realize that the Rockets backup center in the Knicks game was Terrence Jones, correct? And Jones went 2-5 in that game. AND that Howard was the best defensive player on the court that game, right?

If you make a poll asking NBA coaches whether they would play a struggling Dwight Howard at center or mediocre performing Terrence Jones at center, I'm afraid no one is going to answer Jones.

Edit: To add, basically my point is that playing Howard over Jones isn't so much a McHale bias issue, as it is a common sense issue.

#28 meh, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Think he mentioned that he likes the pressure and relishes the 4th quarter with the game on the line. I think he still misses NY and has mentioned even the last game that he misses playing at the Garden. Maybe we'll see his story go full circle.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

If opponents are hacking Dwight, wouldn't that imply that he's playing well because we have a nice lead to hack from? Why would you pull Dwight when opponents can't stop our offense with him in the game?

11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

No, that's not why they're hacking him.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

I do agree with you that McHale should always play DH12 regardless of how well he is performing. He is DH12 for gods sake. But that same luxury doesn't apply to Lin or bev. And some would say obviously it shouldn't because they haven't done anything in the NBA.

13. yummyhawtsauce

Really he mentioned this in his last game?? Can you point me to the interview or article. All I remember was during the NYK game he said he missed playing there, but never mentioned it beyond that

14. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Lin's doing a really good job attacking when he sees the paint open this season. I think he understands his role coming off the bench as a spark plug, heat check kind of guy and so he's actively looking for those types of opportunities whenever he's on the floor.

A lot of people are citing his TS% as an indication of huge improvement, that's a very unrealistic expectation to put on him. He's a streaky player. Good start but he's shot really poorly in the 7 games since then. When I look at Lin's game/playstyle, I don't see "efficient" as being the right word to describe it. I'd be incredibly surprised if he sustains the efficiency he's at currently.

15. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

“You know I miss playing at the Garden. To be able to come back here once a year, it’s great. The fans are great. Atmosphere was great, incredible. It was just a lot of fun for everyone.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...jeremy-garden-article-1.1518038#ixzz2m38kPvNB

16. Apache

Apache Member

Linsanity is still there, you just gotta give him the key.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Excellently written and researched meh! Best Lin thread ever on this forum.

NBA players almost never come back quickly from a major knee injury. In retrospect it is completely clear to me that Lin's rocky start last season was just the natural progression of returning to NBA level basketball after surgery.

I am very impressed with Lin's work ethic. Lin was asked last summer to convert from a PG to a combo guard. Unlike Brooks and Bev, Lin has the size to function efficiently as a SG. The Rocket's three (or four) guard rotation is amazingly efficient and effective. If not already there, Lin seems to be a great bet to become a top 10 point guard in the NBA.

Over the summer Lin improved both his three point shooting and his efficiency driving to the basket. And that he did. Lin has one of the quickest first steps in the NBA, letting him get around most defenders almost at will. The Rockets have only two players who can reliably create their own shot. For that reason I cannot see the Rockets trading Lin.

18. yummyhawtsauce

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Problem with Lin is if he is not being aggressive or making his shots, then you may as well have Beverley on the court with his added defensive pressure.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

The Linsanity numbers were crazy but in no way sustainable. I mean 38 against the Lakers, 28 and 14 against Dallas are very impressive displays and performances but only the all time greats can do those performances regularly. The way Lin is playing now is way more sustainable and I think that's the biggest improvement in his game.