1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Zhou Qi Developing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Feb 23, 2017.

1. txn

txn Member

Unfortunately, he doesn't have KD's handle and will never has. He probably can't even dribble like Dirk. The best for him at this time is be Ryan's replacement - a stretch 4. In fact, I am already satisfied if he can be our Channing Frye. I am not sure why people here compare him to KD

TMac'n and CallMeTheDream like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I kind of have to disagree with this part.

Is he as fluid as any 7'2 athlete?? Maybe. But random heights like that aren't really relevant. KD is listed at 6'9, but in reality is closer to 7'0.
    http://www.slamonline.com/nba/kevin-durant-finally-admits-hes-7-feet-tall/#UWATzhqu0qLfD0p8.97

Giannis is about 7'0. Porzingis is 7'3. KAT is 7 foot. AD is 6'11. Gobert is over 7'0. Etc.

Basically, there are guys out there with better mobility at similar heights.

Zhou's mobility is solid, but I wouldn't say spectacular. It has a look about it that is both (a) how did he do that at that size, and (b) that's a gangly looking off balance moving dude.

I think he's a 4, and basically only a 4. if he gets minutes at another position, it'd be as a stretch 5. He'd get murdered defensively in the NBA trying to play SF, and wouldn't be that helpful offensively other than as a park it outside guy (since he doesn't have ballhandling), of which there are already plenty SFs in the league that can do that.

While this is true of every PF these days, it's probably especially true of Zhou - can he be OK enough defensively to stay on the court?

On the whole, I am not super optimistic and if forced to bet if he'll be a multi year contributor even as a 15 mpg off the bench guy ala Montrez, or never play any meaningful minutes (eg. Bobby Brown type or worse), I'd go with the later.

oelman44 likes this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hopefully he is hanging out with Keith Greasy Jones and Darell triple chinned Maury slurping some late night triple cheese burgers and cream soda.

Jayzers_100 and Vivi like this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Time to bring him in he is needed for height alone.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In today's NBA, Zhou Qi is clearly a C. He will never, ever be out there as a Forward playing for Mike D'Antoni. You can count on that. Kristaps can barely play PF and he is light years more explosive than Zhou. Zhou is an extremely tall, skinny, skilled CENTER that needs to be placed directly under the basket.

oelman44 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Porzingis plays like 70% if his time at PF. Both years. Per 82games.com

And I'd hardly call him "barely" doing it.

Definitely more explosive than Zhou... not sure about light years, or if it ultimately matters. You don't have to be the most explosive to carve out a career.

But if the point is he might not be athletic enough... absolutely. Time will tell. I guess he could fit offensively at center. His big issue regardless of position will be defense and whether he gives you enough offensively as a mismatch to offset the fact that he is going to struggle defensively with the speed, height, athleticism, size of the NBA?

7. tigereye

tigereye Member

Zhou gotta be Qi-dding me?!?

He does not look ready.

Asian Sensation and 92i like this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yup, for one of the worst teams in the NBA. I'd call him "barely" doing it.

9. dmoneybangbang

In today's NBA , and more relevant the Rocket's defense, they rely a lot more on switching. Zhou maybe the tallest person on the floor so you can call him a "C", but he won't be placed directly under the basket. I think it would be a misuse of him frankly. as I see his defensive potential as being able to switch out to the perimeter and recover for some weakside shot blocking. I just don't see him being a traditional post player, he's going to have to learn how to use his length and get good positioning when he's on the defensive end on the paint.

10. ballgame

ballgame Member

WRONG! Zhou is really fluid and skilled.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

But also slow, weak and nonexplosive.

12. ty185

ty185 Member

I'd say that's typical stereotyping. IIRC, Qi was THE quickest bigman in last year's combine. his agility measurements are comparable to top guard draftees and are a whole level above other bigs.

While his lanky frame definitely contributed to this and I doubt he keeps up with his elite agility when he bulks up, he is NOT slow in any sense.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Lies.

Kyle Wiltjer, literally the slowest player of all time, put in an 11.35 lane agility score. (Zhou scored an 11.27)
    Kyle Wiltjer, literally the slowest player of all time, put in a 3.48 3/4 court sprint time. (Zhou scored a 3.46)
    Kyle Wiltjer, literally the slowest, least explosive player of all time, also put in a max vertical that was 3.5 inches higher than Zhou QI.

"Elite agility" deez nuts.

Comparable to GUARDS? LOL... Maybe comparable to the scrubs that bother to show up to these agility testings.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So after watching his two draft express videos (strength and weakness) here are my thoughts.

Any one that says he's un-athletic/clumsy is wrong, he looks really fluid moving around. However, his lack of any meat causes him to lose balance on contact, which will hurt him defensively more in the NBA. He did not show a lot of explosiveness, so I do worry about his weakside defense in the NBA against more athletic players.

He has a really good stroke but takes too long to get it off.

I agree with those that see him as 4, I don't see him anywhere close to being a 5 successfully right now.

What will determine how successful he is will basically be:
    • Can he hit an open three with NBA players that closes out much faster than he's accustom to. If he doesn't, he lacks any value over replacement on the offense side?
    • Can he defend/help on the pick and role against a NBA good wing (need to be at least a little better than can Enes Kanter in defending wings)?
    I don't think he can develop/answer those questions in the CBA so might as well get it over.

15. Fantasma Negro

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Someone needs to photochop a Dynex TV box in that cart

EDIT: just realized Zhou is in the JELL-O aisle ..... WTF!!! Dude has a jello addiction. He'll never gain weight.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

He'll be fine, he's making eye contact with the marshmallow fluff lol

Jayzers_100 and heypartner like this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Man, I hope he gets jacked! Eat Joe Eat! :D

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This dude showed up surprisingly early (even though his finger has apparently not healed yet) and is on a mission.

Maybe we have another dude with Capela-type work ethic on our hands. That would make me extremely optimistic about his long term development. I would describe him as lacking explosiveness & strength, negligble lateral quickness, average speed and top tier agility/coordination for his height and hypothetical position at C. I like that mix. I would almost choose those particular weaknesses if I had to choose some.

Any player that has ever shown extra interest in working off the court has seen tremendous development here, particularly physically. We seem to have a very good strength/fitness team, thinking about Ryno/Gordon/Howard's improved fitness and Capela/Dekker's dramatic physical improvements. Even Onuaku, Nene, Harden, Beverley have been impressive.

All this bodes well for his future as long as he is committed to the work he's talking about. I can see him significantly improved by the end of his first season, and possibly ready for regular NBA backup minutes the following season.

skroodup25 likes this.
  20. hooroo

hooroo Member

and a horse kiddie ride a la career opportunities