1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How in the world is Rajon Rondo "GREAT"?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jpsamhyz, Dec 25, 2008.

1. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

I've lost count of how many times over the last few weeks it has been mentioned that "Rajon Rondo has evolved into a great PG in less than a year and deserves All-Star recognition". So I tried to list all the things I've seen him doing on a basketball court this season: runs fast and dribbles well, makes lay-ups during transition or driving through an open lane, hits an open Ray Allen coming of a back screen, plays D.

In other words, I see a complementary point guard who doesn't create off pick and roll, doesn't drive through traffic and finish strong at the rim, can't drain an open jumper beyond 15 feet, and rarely takes over a game with his scoring. How on earth is Mr Rondo in the same league with Nash, Paul, D Will, Parker, D Harris, Billups, or even Derrick Rose, and therefore a legitimate All Star is simply beyond me. Can someone please enlighten me?

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

haha, you won't find a legit answer here my man

3. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

There is something to be said for simply making a few plays and just not screwing up a great team like the Celtics.....but I would agree that it is absurd to call him great at this point.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rondo isn't a great PG but he's a great fit for their team. And he's better than anything the Rockets have. I watch the Celts pretty regular and Rondo has improved since last year. Don't judge him by one game. He runs well, rebounds well, defends well, passes well, shoots a high FG% and takes care of the ball. He's actually dominated a couple of games I've seen. Compared to other PGs, he does create off the pick-and-roll, drive through traffic & finish strong at the rim. Scoring and jumpshooting aren't his strengths.

He doesn't deserve to be an All-Star. That's crazy talk.

5. Lovemachine2000

I personally think he does, though I might be a bit biased as a fellow Wildcat. But if you think about it, who are the best East PGs with winning records? Devin Harris, Jemeer Nelson, and Rondo. Devin Harris is easily having an allstar season, and I would personally put Rondo ahead of Nelson (Nelson with better scoring stats though). Derrick Rose will be one of the tops next season, but he's not there yet.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Devin Harris, Derrick Rose, Jameer Nelson and Mo Williams all should be in front of Rondo right now.

It's funny how Rondo has gone from underappreciated last year to overrated this year. His progression from rookie to last year to this year is very good and he deserves credit. His improvement and (Ray Allen) is why the Celts are 27-3.

7. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

Wanna name a better starter, or bench PG for the East? Jameer is a joke, and should not be in. Harris should definitely start. Them three are the best in the east, no doubt. Who else is there? Gilbert? Mike Bibby? Mike James? :rolleyes: At least Rondo gets some alley oop passes, how many times a game do you see one to Garnett/Perkins. I dont know the stats, but at least 2 in 3 games, maybe even 1 per game.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just did. What Jameer Nelson has done so far this season is anything but a joke. His outside shooting was key in several tough games for them. Sometimes he's almost unconscious. If it weren't for his hot start, the Magic wouldn't be anywhere near 23-6. Forget last year and before. I'm talking the first 28-30 games THIS season.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I would definitely take Rondo over Mo...but he shouldn't be an all-star. Hopefully Wade and JJ start with Devin Harris coming off the bench. The all-star game is a joke if Mo Williams is ever under consideration.

10. Lovemachine2000

If any1 is overrated, it's Mo Williams, he's a shoot-first PG with little passing skills and made his fame as a ballhog in Milwaukee. Derrick Rose has hit a rookie wall after having an amazing start, and besides, no one on the Bulls should be an Allstar this year. Jameer Nelson is playing out of his mind right now, but I expect him to drop to his normal self soon. If I had to pick between Nelson and Rondo for the Rockets, I would pick Rondo in a heart beat. Rondo is the better defender and the better PG, and we already have enough shooters and scoring to compensate for his weaknesses.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Rondo is average and far from great. Let's see how he looks when he doesn't have 3 superstars around him in a few years.

He's got some good tools but I'd say he would be extremely average, and maybe worse, if he played for a bad team. He doesn't have the vision of elite PGs like Paul, Kidd and Nash. He simply can't shoot from outside. His best tools are his speed and athleticism. I wouldn't even put him ahead of Brooks. His defense isn't that great. Almost anybody that plays PG for this Celtics team would end up looking like a good defender.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

His biggest limitation is his atrocious jump shot. I think he's like 25% (I know this is wrong but the stat is bad and I'm too lazy to look it up now) or something on 2pt jump shots. The fact that his overall fg% is so high goes to show how good he is (or how bad defenses are) at imposing his style. He has been great at penetrating and finishing, and mainly dishing (not just to Ray Allen). His rebounding and steals should not be overlooked either.

I still don't understand why teams still guard this guy on the perimeter. All he looks to is drive and dish. Defenders seem to be unable to control their instincts.

How to defend Rondo:
    Don't fall for the initial pump fake.
    Don't leave the lane wide open because he can get to the hoop fast.
    Don't jump in the air to block the layup because Rondo will look to pump fake the layup and pass it in mid air.
    Do fake take the charge then back out to prep for the pass...Rondo will end up under the basket either traveling or making a turnover prone pass.
    Do play the passing lanes out of penetration big time.

13. Lovemachine2000

I had to chuckle at that. As much as I love Brooks, Rondo is one of the few real PGs who can hold their own on both sides of the court, and both are about the same age. But I understand how love makes one blind.:)

14. Lovemachine2000

An excellent assessment. Sometimes containing a speed demon is easier said than done.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He's not anywhere close to great but the things he's pretty good at now he was already getting better at in his rookie season (passing, defense, rebounding, etc.)

I don't know if you watched him his rookie season but he was kind of up and down. He would show flashes but he played pretty well towards the end of the season when he got big minutes (when they were in full tank mode). I don't really think he's improved that much by playing with the 3 stars. The biggest difference is that he's getting consistent minutes so he can work himself into a rhythm.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Rondo is not that good. He is solid and fits the Celtics because his job is to not be incompetent offensively as well as not get embarrassed on defense. He certainly does not carry an All Star caliber responsibility nor does he turn in an All Star level performance most nights.

I would rather see more SG voted to the the East All Star team before mediocre PG (Rondo) start getting voted in.

17. shyconan

shyconan Member

He is a star!
    No kidding!
    You want to wade, Allen iverson, carter, arenas, even Harris, Gregory in Dallas,. . .
    Believe me, this ellipsis behind many!

Pierce, ray Allen and Kevin garnett, not what you think he would get the person's attention!

He is a man and let people pay more attention to a player! Exaggerate

I admit, he bit skill! But do you know? Like him starting guard in this league has many!

Don't believe it!

You count!
    I guarantee you a hand enough!
    Ha ha!

18. BrooksBall

People really misunderstand my view of Brooks. I was a Rockets fan long before Brooks was drafted. I just happened to join this site at the time I was watching him play in his first Summer Leauge so I made a username out of his name. I was also impressed with how he played and had high hopes for him but my favorite current player is McGrady, despite how much I dog him.

As far as my opinion that Brooks > Rondo, I mean it. I think Rondo's defense is overrated. He just plays in a system where he looks good. The Rockets were a good defensive team as soon as JVG got here and that was before we had any real defensive stoppers (Battier, Hayes, Artest). A lot of what makes a team, and players, good defensively is the style of coaching. PG defense, in general, is overrated with the new rule where you can't handcheck on the perimeter. Every PG relies heavily on help defense and interior defense.

Beyond the defense thing, Rondo's greatest asset is his quickness. Brooks is even quicker. Rondo does not have great court vision. He's nowhere near the top tier of PGs in that respect. Brooks isn't great either. In terms of a total scorer, Brooks gets the edge in my book. While Rondo is slightly better around the basket, Brooks is miles ahead of him as a jump shooter.

Physically, Rondo is 1 inch taller. That ain't nothin. He has a wider frame than Brooks which is to his advantage. He also has big hands and a long wingspan but so does Brooks.

Aside from his playoff experience and the benefits he gets from playing on the best team in the league, I truly believe that Brooks is the better player.

19. BrooksBall

^^^ Epic. :D

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i was playing association on nba 2k9 and i saw rondo had an 89 overall rating. is that something that changes based on how players are playing in the fake season or is that the score the developers give players? cause artest is like an 86 or something....

this thread just reminded me of that cause i was thinking man they sure did overrate this kid.