1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Hot is Van Gundy's seat right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by edc, Nov 27, 2004.

Tags:
?

How hot is JVG's seat?

1. Les is seriously considering firing him right now.

56 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. If the situation doesn't improve in a month...

103 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. If the situation doesn't improve by the break...

101 vote(s)
    24.9%
  4. If the situation doesn't improve by the end of the season...

98 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. Fired? No way. 6-76, and JVG is back next season.

47 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. edc

edc Contributing Member

:confused:

??? This is not a bashing thread, and the options in the poll are fair. I made a point of saying "What do you think Mr. Alexander's thoughts are," not "what are your thoughts." Clutch made a comment in the game thread, and I was curious on feeling out the "group consensus."

I personally voted that he stays the whole season, although I think there is a small chance that he could be fired at the break if the Rockets are well less than .500

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I dont think Les will fire JVG because of a 6-9 start. It would be a joke and embrassment for the management if they do fire him, because why the hell they hire him in the first place a year ago. You dont fire a coach so easily in this league. No way Gundy will be gone.

3. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

If JVG gets canned this season, why would any other reputable coach want to come here - knowing that they are on such a short leash.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

RUDY Is not coming through that door - Rick Pitino

Rocket River

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Van Gundy said he knows which players win in this league...and which players lose. That was one of the first things he said when he joined the Rockets.

Can someone please explain to me why he ONLY brought players in (other than Ward, who is over the hill) who have losing records?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing entirely, but why would Les wait for the entire season to can JVG? If we aren't winning, then JVG isn't doing his job, and shouldn't have it.

The last couple seasons have shown that the coach's job is anything but secure. When owners feel like their coach isn't getting the job done, they really haven't been hesitating to make a change.

Hopefully, this will be the case.

7. rlambs26

rlambs26 Member

If we need to make a move, we gotta do it right now or we have to keep this team till the end of the season. Change after all-star break is too late to change.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good thing TMac signed the extension before the season started. I'm sure he might be second guessing playing for JVG.

9. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

We need to get rid of some of these old, slow, small players, with bad contracts.
    Then we can get some young, athletic youth.......hopefully. :(

10. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

That statement is amusing to me, because I think thats exactly what we had last year....

11. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Rockets ship is sinking fast. Rockets is looking like last year's Suns, except that Rockets don't have anybody injured. A couple of more games under .500 I say Van Gundy is gone.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

hopefully his ass is blistering.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Why will Les fire JVG when he went along with him to bring in all the players JVG wanted just this off season? When you sign someone to a 4-5 year contract, you have to stick with him for longer than just 1.5 season, otherwise you look like a fool youself.

Of course, if Yao, or TMac publically display their displeasure about JVG, then it's an entirely different story.

14. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I think it's hilarious that when we got t-mac, les or CD was saying how their phones were going to be ringing off the hook with FA's wanting to play on the Rockets...... *ring ring* Hello?...... Hey's it's me! Charlie! Charlie Ward........ SPLASH.

I hope JVG is gone by all-star break. With 2 players like Yao and T-mac we shouldn't have to rely on running algebraic equations JVG calls "plays" to get a basket. Basketball is more a game of instinct and reaction than complex thinking.. I feel that set plays work better with a less talented team that need more than natural ability to score points... we have t-mac and yao, not dan langhi and shawn bradley. Let T-mac do what he does best and let yao do what he does best and sign FA's to cover their weaknesses. JVG....OFF WITH YE HEAD!!

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I love to see Gorge Karl Replace Gundy. i loved Watching the high Octaine Sonics beat teams down the floor with there top notch Transition game. he preaches defense and offense. his running game would be far better suited to T-mac's game then JVG halfcourt dull no action System.

16. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

You guys have JVG for at least this season and next. There is no way they eat that contract.

The only way you guys get rid of JVG this season is if he quits or you guys are out of playoff contention at the break.

I wish I could catch more Rocket games but we got our own problems and it is painful to watch a JVG coached team butcher the concept of basketball. I tried to catch a little but you guys had 20 pts and it was almost halftime. I can't understand that at all.

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I say he is already on the hot seat. Yes, it is early. Yes it takes time. Yes there has to be chemistry. Yes he has a fat contract

Are the guys motivated. No
    Are they guys hustling. No
    Are their fans in the seat to pay his fat contract. No
    Is he getting the most from Yao and Mcgrady. NO
    Are they scoring enough points to win. NO
    Are they playing his trademark defense. No

Something is wrong in Rocket town. We are sinking really fast. Blame the schedule, blame whatever...but there is no fire, no intensity, no motivation, no emotion. That is where improvement is made. You cannot trade the entire team. We need a motivator, this team has discipline. Everything JVG has tried to instill in last years team, we already have in the veterans this year. The rockets don't need chains, they need rubber bands so they may experiment and learn. I don't know if JVG is wrong or we need another player or both. I just know, this team is going nowhere really fast.

Its just like the games we play. We may be down in the 1st half or in the 1st quarter by a big margin. Then, we come back some, but in the end we lose. We are building ourselves a big hole with our losing record. Something has to give.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Hotter than a Whitches Titty.

19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Ewing will be fired first to send a strong message to both JVG and YM (or one can hope).

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Now, wouldn't the original saying be "colder than a witches tit"? Your improvision, makes little sense