1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How have the new ASSISTANT coaches helped us this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Mar 12, 2012.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Daryl (and Rick) told us that Rick's assistants weren't good enough, and that if Rick were to let Daryl pick his assistants for him, he could retain the privilege of coaching in Houston. My question is, how much better off are we now that Elston Turner, Sikma, etc. are no longer with us? How many more wins have Sampson, Bickerstaff, Finch, etc. gotten us? What players have been developed that wouldn't have been had Rick's crew been the assistants instead of Daryl's? The Rocket brass seemed to make a big deal about assistant coaching when they dismissed Rick, so it would be interesting to see some numbers on what that change has meant for the Rockets this year.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Everyone knows that was a bunch of crap. Simply put, Les didn't want Rick they same way he didn't want JVG because their noses didn't become brown around him. Because of that both coaches were booted and we get to have McHale now.

1 person likes this.
  3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I heard it was because their noses didn't become white enough??

So which were they not sniffing enough of, eh?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its really impossible for most of us to have an informed opinion of what impact, if any, the assistants have had. The best thing is to find some insiders (like Stevierebel) who would know more than the rest of us what's going on in practice and get their opinion.

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

In before Les apologists say it doesn’t matter who’s coaching the team anyway.

It was obviously BS…RA’s assistants were good. Turner is a really well-respected assistant. Sikma was really nice guy who did well with our young bigs…I’ve read articles and heard on the Minny broadcasts how much he’s helped Pekovic emerge this year.

Besides all that, RA alone beats out McFail and all his so-called great assistants.

But hey, it doesn’t matter who’s coaching a team whose goal is to keep getting better without tanking…right?

7. TheFreak

If assistants are such a big deal, shouldn't we be able to tell a difference? I mean, you supposedly let go of a HOF coach because he won't let you pick his assistants for him - doesn't that mean we should be able to tell how bad ass these new assistants are?

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Not a fan of Bickerstaff. I wonder what kind of impact Kelvin Sampson has had, if any at all? Wonder how Finch is coming along as well?

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Mchale seems to have surrounded himself with smart coaches. Probably smarter than him but their doesn't appear that system in place that garners a sense of consistency. Players all want minutes. If they get it they are happy if they don't they sulk. It's impossible to keep everyone happy. So most coaches try to appease there best players to a degree.And they tolerate less from second tier players and even less from the 12th guys on the bench. Adelman seemed to be better at manging his players and detting the most out of them than McHale. But me personally, I am satisfied with Mchale so far. I prefer our team to underachieve until we get at least one certifiable all star and a solid playoff team. After that release McHale and let Morey have his Moneyball coach in Finch and see if it works.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The entire last two seasons under Adelman the Rockets were on the outside looking in with regards to the playoff picture. It has been the opposite this year despite bringing in an entirely new coaching staff with almost no preseason to get players ready and little time for practices. While it hasn't always been pretty, that's what you ask of your staff.

As for who has or hasn't developed under these new coaches, I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone familiar with Adelman's tendencies that Parsons would have been in the rotation, much less starting, as soon as he was under McHale and the new assistants and it seems to have paid off.

Since this was obviously intended to be a "let's bash McHale and Morey's assistants" thread, I will say that in a lockout-shortened season that only has 66 games and few days off for rest or practice, you are really comparing apples and oranges and we will probably need to wait until next year to really see what difference this staff makes.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're not going to see much over half a season that started with a one week training camp. Even with RA, it took a while for these things to leak out.

12. TheFreak

So you're saying that since the Rockets currently are in the 8th spot, then the assistants are doing a great job? Do you think we'd be in a different spot with different assistants?

Even if I grant you that, what does that have to do with the current assistant coaches? Do you think that Parsons is in the rotation because of the new assistant coaching staff? With different assistants, Parsons wouldn't be playing?

Are the Rockets the only team playing 66 games? I thought every team played the same amount of games. Wasn't Finch put on the staff so he could run Rick's offense? Wouldn't that retain some of the continuity that would otherwise be lost due to the shortened training camp? It seems like you'd only have to teach defense in that case. How would that put the Rockets at a disadvantage compared to the other teams in the league?

13. conquistador#11

they're developing hasheem very well. I mean the fuhrer and his officers weren't even giving hasheem minutes!

=/

I actually thought that these brains Maury brought over, like finch, were going to run the motion offense and let mchale just charm and sweep LEX off his feet.

1 person likes this.
  14. theDude

Supporting Member

The Rockets are in the 8th spot in the playoffs and were as high as 4th in the past few weeks. When was the last date that the Rockets were in that position under Adelman and his assistants? I assumed you were looking for an honest answer to your question. I feel like I gave that. Next time, just write "these assistants suck" and I will move along.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am on the fence about McHale as a coach. He has some strong points and some weak points. And it's probably too early to tell.

I do think that they should have just handed Finch the rein when they decided to let Adelman go. Grooming Finch was supposed to be the sticky point that pushed Adelman away. Why not just throw Finch in the water? If he swims, that's good. If he sinks, we get a high draft pick.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not really fair. A bunch of teams in the West have dropped a notch this season. Everybody knows that this year's West is the most wide open in more than a decade. The fact that the Rockets have never been more than a couple games above the 8th spot this season means that they are pretty much in the same position as last season.

17. theDude

Supporting Member

I agree that it's not really fair and pointed out as much in my original post. I think that we really need to wait until we have a full regular season to judge. That said, the possibility for the Rockets to make the playoffs this year looks better than it did in the last two years of Adelman's tenure. Sure, every other team in the league has to play the same shortened schedule, but not all of them had to do it with an entirely new coaching staff. I expected the season to be much more rocky than it has been to this point. I believe the assistant coaches have done a good job of putting the players in a position to win each night. I personally think they deserve a lot of credit for that.